StromTrooper banner

Best Allround gear?

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  revel22 
#1 ·
I have come into a little wind-fall and have earmarked it for a jacket and pants. I live on the Wet Coast at the 49th parallel, so versatility for hot and cold plus weatherproof.
What is the best allround clothing in your opinion?
'Stich, Cycleport, Marsee, Other?
It must have CE rated armour and come in colours other than Black, BTW.
Bring 'em on.

#2 ·
My Stich Darien overpants have been a great investment. Very versatile, and great for the changing climate here in CA. Wore them over shorts for a nice warm mountain ride this past weekend and then over business clothes for the work commute. They do come in colors other than black too.

#3 ·
Dollar for dollar, nothing beats Aerostich..

Even after it's long worn out, some idiot will pay you for it on eBay and be happy to have it..

My Darien was used when I bought it, (see line above) and I've worn it for 4 years, and it's holding up strong as ever.. It seals up nice when it's cold, and vents nice when it's hot..

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect jacket.. And I have several MC jackets..

#5 ·
If you want to go "El cheapo",i would recommend Fieldsheer Hydro.Since i have it ,i rode different temperatures including rain.It kept me warm when it is cold.For warmer weather you need to remove liner and open zippers.
I paired it up with a cortech pants.I call them "portable sauna".I think it helps my thinner look.

#6 ·
I'm running a Rev'it Cayenne jacket and Ultimate pants. Great gear. Vents excellent, with the rain liners in I have not been wet yet, and it is toasty warm with the insulating liners in. Great quality stuff.

Spendy, but worth it imho.

Jacket comes in a few different colors, but pants only come in balck.

#8 ·
I second the Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. They are extremely well made and have never leaked a drop of rain. Customer service is great. In addition, Andy Goldfine, the owner, is a nice person and dedicated to biking. You get a 10% discount if you go to the factory in Duluth, Minnesota.
I'm going to put my current Darien jacket on eBay and order their high viz colors.

#9 ·
I wore my Spidi Admiral this summer in all kinds of weather. From 115F in Vegas to 40F in Yellowstone, to pouring rain in Zion. Earlier this spring I wore it on a ride to Phoenix, going over the mountain at 5am with snow on the side of the road. It had to be mid 30's F. All this with just a wicking shirt on and shorts. Except to Phoenix I had jeans on that time.

It is just as easy to put on as my stich was, and it has CE rated armor. It also looks and fits better than the stich did.

But they are both excellent suits. And they will both save your ass in a crash.

#10 ·
I just bought a Belstaff Challenger Jacket and Pioneer pants after searching for something to handle cold/wet conditions in Minnesota. I have to say this stuff is off the map as far as quality. I ordered two different Darien Jackets and returned both of them due to fit issues. Tried on the Kilimanjaro and the quality wasn't even close to the Belstaff gear. I am 6'1" 190 lbs 44 chest 34 waist and the Belstaff fits like it was made for me. I just picked it up this week so I can't offer a ride report, but its waterproof and warm, only dig on the gear is it is NOT designed for HOT weather.

A lot of great gear out there but the Belstaff gear works for me.

#11 ·
Thanks guys. I am partial to the Cycleport stuff, but the 3 month wait is a bit of a pain. Also, does anyone have a comment on the stiffness of CP 1000 denier material (vs the Darien Light @160 denier, for instance!).

#14 ·
I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro 4 and pants -Quite like it and comes in tall sizes which for me is critical. Waterproof is great - tested it quite a few times and overall fit and finish seems good so far. Comfortable and windproof (IMO). Like one other reader - I have fond memories of my Belstaff -I was 3rd owner when I got it in the 70's and I'm sure it's still going strong somewhere. Don't miss the waxed cotton look and accompanying grime it always picked up (I used to tell people I just got back from the prairies). Undoubtedly they've probably changed with the times but know they used to last forever.

Safe riding.

#16 ·
I have an Aerostitch Roadcrafter for sub 85 degree days. And First Gear Kilimanjaro Mesh and matching mesh pants with removable waterproof liners on days over 85. Then I use a short FG Meshtex jacket with removable liner for short trips.

If I was going to crash in any of these (again), it would be in the Aerostitch. Very superior armour in the Roadcrafter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.