StromTrooper banner

V Strom Touring ?

20K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  garandman 
#1 ·
Alot of stromers don't go off road. They buy the strom because its got a great engine, great price,good aftermarket products and ugly(like a wife you get use to...and looks pretty after a while). 2 1/2-3 inches lower(tripling the number of riders but would NEED a HB riser back and up). Lower front forks(no front brace needed and front tires will last 3 thousand miles longer). Lower center of gravity(not so top heavy and easier to get back up after tipping over). 6 speeds are good (but a gear inicator and touring gearing are better). The lighter weight will get better MPG, more smooth ride and more tire life. There is no 650 touring bike out there anymore(this would fill a need and a large pricepoint and market needed)(direct fuel injection would give the bike more power and better MPG...a bike like this could get 80+MPG). And, with this lower bike, you don't have to grab your ankle and do the chicken hop to get your leg on the other side.

#3 ·
Pretty cool and COULD be a replacement for my Wee, BUT that big arse can on the right side of the bike just won't cut it in my garage. In short I need the exhaust pretty much the size of the wee. I guess I'm "stuck" with the Wee. I don't know how I'll survive, :rolleyes:

#4 ·
The V-Strom as an excellent "TOURING" bike... Lowered, check. HB Risers, check. Metzeler super long lasting 880's, check. 17 tooth countersprocket, check. 50.5 MPG over a 6000 mile trip, check. Yes I had to put a few bucks into making it a worthy "tourer", but folks spend 3 times as much on a "touring" bike like BMW or HD and still put a bunch of money into them to get what they want. As far as the chicken hop, this 5'6", 56 year old has no problem simply swinging a leg over the seat, or steppin through.

Here are a few pics of my DL 650 T on a Route 66 trip Sept 09',

#7 ·
#14 ·
// 2 1/2-3 inches lower(tripling the number of riders but would NEED a HB riser back and up). Lower front forks(no front brace needed and front tires will last 3 thousand miles longer). Lower center of gravity(not so top heavy and easier to get back up after tipping over). //
So in Texas these days, smaller is better? I'll have to inform the transplants up here - if I can get a word in edge-wise.:green_lol:

I was jokinbg on advrider that as far as I'm concerned, it should be called Commrider.com - for commuter. Because that's a lot of the mileage of a lot of the bikes. For me, it's at least half if not two thirds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.