StromTrooper banner

Manual throttle lock recommendations

8K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Webfors 
#1 ·
Looking for a manual throttle lock...that will work with my foam grip covers.

Had a ATLAS Throttle Lock on my '07 DL650 and loved it. Got rid of the '07, kept the ATLAS. Unfortunately, does not work on my '12 DL650 with heated grips (which also has the Grab-On foam covers over those grips for comfort).

See there's all kinds of choices...Crampbuster, BrakeAway, and tons more.

Looking for recommendations of what works well for others and is somewhat comfortable. I ride over 20K miles a year...so definitely looking for something to help prevent wrist strain. My current grips are about 1-3/4" diameter with the foam covers on them, if that matters.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I see they have a 7/8" and a 1" size. I'm guessing I go with the 1" since with my foam grips I'm at 1-3/4". What size do you have on yours? Does it maintain speed well or start to fade after a few seconds?

#4 ·
I have not bought a factory made one in years.Used the o ring for a few years then one day was throwing trash in a bag and a old jacket in the mix.The small draw string at the bottom with the plastic lock got my recycle genes in high gear! Cut the string and took it to my just got old work bike.Warp the string around the throttle inside ,cut to right length and thread ends in the plastic lock. Sung lock to how tight I want and works great.Have made lots and gave lots away.If you like the o-ring all given away like these lots more.
When re screening a door one day was throwing the old linners away that usually all ways split in half.They looked about right for the locks and thats what I use now and are better as rain does not bother them. One of the best things about them is unlike the o ring type you do not have to take the hand guards ,bark busters,or any thing off to get them on. Have went and bought a old motorcycle before and had to ride a few 100 miles home.If not wanting to stop and buy a throttle lock just warp a rubber band a few times around the throttle inside end and you have a lock. Of course these are like the old Harley fricton locks you push back each time to back off but become second nature in a few miles.

#5 · (Edited)
Back when I had my V-Strom, I had a sort of set of padded grips. They were actually just wrapped with padded bicycle handlebar tape. I had the same problem as you, looking for a throttle lock that worked with padded grips. I saw a lock online called an Omni Cruise, which looked nice enough but I didn't want to pay for one, so I made my own. The one I made worked well with the thick padded grips, so I assume the one I copied would work just as well. I've attached a couple photos. My copy is on the right.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
GoCruise 2 with the adjustment wheel is a huge improvement for holding in place...do use the included rubber friction band as it makes it smoother but works on the stock grips.

I'd not put it over Grip Puppies or Grip Buddies as perhaps too much play and too much grip ...needs a smooth surface ....standard grip surface is fine. I just cut my Grip Buddies down enough to accommodate the narrow GoC2.

The original was finicky - the new one a treat. Get the correct size for your bar.

#8 ·
The original was finicky - the new one a treat. Get the correct size for your bar.
Well, my bar is stock..7/8"...but the foam makes it a soft firm 1-3/4". Will the 7/8" work well? Anybody here with the Grip Cover foam being used over their stock OEM grips?

#9 ·
The Go Cruise should fit between the grip cover and the inner flange on the grip, but if not, just cut a thin strip off the end of the cover.

#10 ·
Vista Cruise. I've used them on many bikes for many years. Grip size doesn't matter. It goes between the switch box and the grip flange.
Amazon $21
The installation is universal so there is a bit of zip-tie fiddling.

Reactions: Mulewright
#14 ·
I just purchased the Go Cruise 2 as well...like Boise Jim above. Watched a few videos of it and looks perfect for what I need....gets great reviews...and can't beat the $30 price.

Reactions: Old Time Rider
#16 ·
:thumbdown: Thumbs down on the Cycle Gear throttle lock.

I was in bad way with my hand going numb during a cross country trip so stopped into a Cycle Gear and bought their throttle lock. This is the type that bolts between the mirror stalk and throttle, and has an arm that extends over to the throttle. It simply would not hold it's setting and was always slowly slipping to a slower setting.

#17 ·
Are you talking this one? That's actually one version of the Vista Cruise

IF you can get it sorted it's the best as that thumb on/off works the charm....it's fiddly but I certainly never had it slip....if it does...then it's just not adjusted enough.
I had to remover mine as with the heated grips I simply ran out of grip space with my big hands. GoCruise 2 sorted it.

#18 ·
Go cruise for me...

I have a Go-Cruise as well in the polished alum. finish (the seller was out of matte black). It's now the only chrome-ish bit on my '11 Wee. For what it is it works ok but I do have to tweek the tightener every few rides. Does give my throttle hand a rest and acts like a crampbuster as well.
I just shouldn't ride any bikes with "real" cruise control and I won't feel bad at all.

#24 ·
I have a Go-Cruise as well in the polished alum. finish (the seller was out of matte black). It's now the only chrome-ish bit on my '11 Wee. For what it is it works ok but I do have to tweek the tightener every few rides. Does give my throttle hand a rest and acts like a crampbuster as well.
I just shouldn't ride any bikes with "real" cruise control and I won't feel bad at all.
Hey South. Could you measure the distance between the middle of your grip and the end of the Go Cruise? I am trying to figure out what to buy and I want to see if the Go Cruise length will clear my Bark Buster hand shield. Thanks.

#21 ·
Cam Lock

Macdoc shows what looks like a Cam Lock, which I had a Vstar 650 cruiser. It worked well in that I could take my hand off completely however, it really did lock the grip so to climb a hill you had to unlock it and relock it. I though it was dangerous at first. I have Kaoko on DL650K7 and while I can completely remove my hand, I can also move the grip so the throttle setting is easily adjustable. The chromed Cam Lock was not much cheaper. There are dozens of different Koako versions including mine, which isn't much, but it works with Bark Busters. I think the price reflects retailers tendency to double their price, the cost of engineering and producing many versions of the product. If the motive is hand numbness, you have to be able to take your hand completely off and the longer the better. Note in another thread somebody said sit ramrod straight and the numbness goes away. It's true. Any traction on the right arm is curative: you wouldn't think a Heil Hitler salute would stop the numbness but it will work just fine, but then, to do it you gotta take your hand off the grip. So, salute him with your thumb and index finger lightly on the grip: As long as the local Seattle Liberals don't catch on to what you're doing, you can ride around these parts fearlessly regarding numbness and invest the difference.

#27 ·
"In this case you're lucky 'cause SouthPaw56 posted four days ago, so is still around"

:thumbup:

#32 ·
Anyone know if the Go Cruise 2 clears the factory hand shields on a 2017 650?

#34 ·
I have a kaoko as well (came with the bike when I bought it). Works fine. Takes a second to get used to using your pinky to engage/disengage it, but it works fine. I've only really tried it a few times.

If you haven't used one before, I strongly recommend you consider a throttle rocker or crampbuster as well. I find for long rides, just being able to keep my hand flat and not have to curl around a throttle is usually more than enough and I have yet to really use or crave the need for a throttle lock with a cramp buster that I can just lazily rest my palm on to maintain speed. Takes a little work to put it in a spot where it won't be in the way, and at an angle that gives you a good cruise speed, but once it's set it worked great for me. (FWIW, I had the velcro one that didn't rotate, so I had to set it well and then tighten it so it was at that angle all the time)

Alexi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.