StromTrooper banner

Broken Centerstand Spring

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  bsquarewi 
#1 ·
I have a SW Motech centerstand and have only had it on my bike for about 6 weeks. I must have put it up on the stand less than a dozen times. Yesterday, I noticed the pressure on the spring didn't seem normal. Upon inspecting the springs, I found that the loop at the end where it attaches to the bike had fractured off. It's the smaller internal spring that broke. I'm wondering if any has experienced this with their stands?

I don't know if twisted throttle keeps spare spring that they can sell, or if I can just find something comparable from cycle gear or home depot that might work?

#4 ·
You probably already know, but I've found it easiest to install the new spring when the centerstand is in the down position and the spring has been "spread" a little to fit over the pegs.

To spread the spring, I bend it over a little to create a gap between the coils and install a penny in the gap, bend over the other side and install another penny. Keep going until you have the necessary spread length.

I read about this method a long time ago in some magazine, and finally had an opportunity to try it last summer.

#5 ·
Same exact thing happend to me last week. I shot twisted throttle an e-mail with a photo and they sent out a replacement spring the same day. Great people, they back up what they sale. must have had a shipment of bad springs.

#6 ·
Mine broke about a month ago, and Twisted Throttle immediately sent me a new set. Had put my center-stand on back in May.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.