StromTrooper banner

Be careful out there!

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Jonnylotto 
#1 ·
Guys and Gals,

It pains me to report that my almost-new Wee is headed for that Great Salvage Yard in The Sky. I had an encounter with that dreaded beast, Motoristus Leftturnus, and got the worse part of the deal. I'm not going to go into too many details now because there may be some "issues" that need to be worked out (my medical expenses, for example). The bottom line, though, is that the left-turner waited until I had almost no time to react. If it had been intentional it couldn't have been timed much better. :evil:

Now I'm getting the "don't get another bike" routine from my wife, my friends' wives, etc. I'm beginning to think that maybe they're right. But... today I wandered into a shop and came face to face with a used Vee that looked pretty nice. I'm still too sore to throw a leg over or I might be in DEEP you-know-what with the aforementioned ladies about now. :wink:

Anyway, I just wanted to say what is continually said: be careful out there! Hopefully I'll get things settled soon. When I do I'll post more of the details so hopefully some folks can learn something from my experience.

Tim

See less See more
#6 ·
Don't settle too soon- make sure all of your injuries have completely healed. then make sure you demand at least 3 X your medical bills for pain and suffering in addition to the cost of replacing your bike. They Insurance co. should agree to that pretty readily.

People have asked me after each of my 3 other party at fault wrecks- are you going to ride again? Of course! People don't ask that after a car accident...

#7 ·
After my recent crash, I thought about not getting another bike for a short time. After all, I'm 61 and I had been without a bike for 15 years until I bought my Wee last January. Then I thought about how different my life was since then and getting another bike became a no brainer. Heal your mind and body. Deal with the details. Do your physical therapy. There is an ABS Wee in my future and maybe in yours. That point about there being no question regarding driving a car again following an accident is an excellent one.

#8 ·
Thanks for your comments, fellow Stommers. I appreciate them.

I subscribe to the ATGATT philosophy, so other that a penny-sized scrape on one arm (not sure how that happened), my injuries are impact-related. I have a few cracked bones and I'm still sore, but I'm able to move around okay. Sitting is uncomfortable as my butt took a good hit. I guess you could say that I didn't "stick" the landing. :lol: I cracked a rib a few years ago and it hurt for a while, but after it healed it never bothered me. I hope that is the case with my current injuries and that I don't have long-term problems.

As far as future riding, I don't know. If I was single there would be no question. I might just have to back away for a little while until the dust settles (and it will, eventually), before I start shopping. I have to admit, that ABS-equipped Wee certainly sounds appealing. On the other hand, reading Stromette's tales of the road make me think that I'd like to do some long-distance work, so maybe I'd go for a Vee this time. We'll see.

If anyone has any experience on handling this kind of deal, I'd like to hear it. Did you get an attorney involved or go it alone, etc.

Again, be careful out there.

Tim

#9 ·
You don't need a Vee to go long distance. I broke my hand and wrist going too fast almost 2000 miles from home after all.

#10 ·
Sorry to read about your misadventure. Hopefully the other party is fully insured? I've been involved in a few fairly minor car to car mishaps where it's the other party's fault and they're uninsured. Idiots! There should be mandatory jail time and heavy fines for such behavior! If you can't afford insurance then you can't afford to drive. My own insurance company takes good care of me, but that's really not the point.

I have to come down on the side of getting another bike. There really is something to the notion of getting back on the horse after you're bucked off.

Great to read about your ATGATT philosophy! It's amazing the number of riders I see on hot summer days in teeshirts and shorts. It would take so little to make hamburger of them. Ouch!

Good luck with your recovery. Now go climb back on that horse!

Stan.

#11 ·
greywolf said:
You don't need a Vee to go long distance. I broke my hand and wrist going too fast almost 2000 miles from home after all.
Point taken. My Wee seemed pretty happy at reasonable highway speeds. I really had no complaints with it at all. I guess now that I'm faced with replacing my bike I'm taking the opportunity to see if I want to go in a slightly different direction. I'll probably try to wrangle a test ride on a Vee, then I'll have a decision to make.

Tim

greywolf: PM sent

#12 ·
Bunker said:
Thanks for your comments, fellow Stommers. I appreciate them.

If anyone has any experience on handling this kind of deal, I'd like to hear it. Did you get an attorney involved or go it alone, etc.

Again, be careful out there.

Tim
I only had one "other party at fault" accident in which I was injured enough to bother with seeking settlement outside of med and property loss. I had a broken finger and strained elbow- for which I went to physical therapy for several weeks. I didn't hire an attorney, but I consulted one- he told me to ask for 3 X the medical bills, in addition to the replacement cost of the bike and the payment of the med bills- which they should be doing from the outset anyway. The insurance company I dealt with offered considerably less than that and I countered- saying " if you'll do this amount, I'll go ahead and settle and not involve my attorney". They paid up. Of course if you're out of work and suffer loss of income, those are considerations for the settlement as well. Also, don't let the insurance company just offer Blue Book or some other "guide" value for your bike. Find two or three comparable bikes if you can and tell the ins. co. you've got to have enough to purchase one of those. (unless the guide value is more) In my case, they cut a check to the dealer and I went and picked up the bike. Remember- it's the other party's fault- you should not be inconvenienced any more than you already have been or experience ANY financial loss. They want to settle and be released from further liability.
The at fault ins. co. will be trying their best to get you to settle for as little payout as they can get by with. If they won't play nice, then get an attorney. Often just a letter from one will be enough to get their attention.
Good luck with it.

#13 ·
Bunker,

You'll be back :)

1 month

1 year

5 years

It doesn't matter. Just the fact that you've already been in a shop again means you're a lifer. :lol:

#14 ·
Bunker said:
Guys and Gals,

It pains me to report that my almost-new Wee is headed for that Great Salvage Yard in The Sky. I had an encounter with that dreaded beast, Motoristus Leftturnus, and got the worse part of the deal. I'm not going to go into too many details now because there may be some "issues" that need to be worked out (my medical expenses, for example). The bottom line, though, is that the left-turner waited until I had almost no time to react. If it had been intentional it couldn't have been timed much better. :evil:

Now I'm getting the "don't get another bike" routine from my wife, my friends' wives, etc. I'm beginning to think that maybe they're right. But... today I wandered into a shop and came face to face with a used Vee that looked pretty nice. I'm still too sore to throw a leg over or I might be in DEEP you-know-what with the aforementioned ladies about now. :wink:

Anyway, I just wanted to say what is continually said: be careful out there! Hopefully I'll get things settled soon. When I do I'll post more of the details so hopefully some folks can learn something from my experience.

Tim
Tim,

Very sorry to hear of this. Heal your mind and body and visualize what you want, whatever that is. Be true to yourself and your passion(s). The ladies (and whoever else) should respect you for that alone.

Oh, and on the inside lining of my tank bag it reads:
"FALL DOWN FIVE TIMES...GET UP SIX!"

Stromette

#15 ·
Jonnylotto said:
Bunker,

1 month

1 year

5 years

It doesn't matter. Just the fact that you've already been in a shop again means you're a lifer. :lol:
I think you may be right. I hear all these logical thoughts about why I should just walk away. Then...I pass a bike. Any bike. And I can't help but feel the pressure on the grip in a sweeper, or the head turn and lean doing the tight offset cone weave in the parking lot. I got a kick out of both and I'm just not sure I'm ready to let it go. I'm so weak... :wink:

Tim

#16 ·
STROMETTE said:
Be true to yourself and your passion(s). The ladies (and whoever else) should respect you for that alone.
Count on it. If it were people saying "You're nuts if you get back on a bike," well, they just don't deserve to be listened to. They don't understand. But it's the people that truly care and make valid arguments that make it kind of tough. In the end, I'll listen to what others have to say, especially those close to me, but ultimately, the decision is mine alone.

STROMETTE said:
Oh, and on the inside lining of my tank bag it reads:
"FALL DOWN FIVE TIMES...GET UP SIX!"
Stromette
Excellent! I learned many years ago on the football field, it's not the guy who never gets knocked down, it's the one who keeps getting up. I guess I never was smart enough to stay down. :?

Tim

#17 ·
Bite the bullet and do the PT! Get better ALL THE WAY. Then take the scumbag into court and butcher him like a hog! Get his money, his house, his kids and anything else he has that you like. Then, if you feel like it, go get the bike you WANT, be that an ABS Strom, a Beemer, or a 525 KTM with streamers on the levers like a Harley! Main thing is: ENJOY THE RIDE!

#18 ·
Bunker said:
I cracked a rib a few years ago and it hurt for a while, but after it healed it never bothered me. I hope that is the case with my current injuries and that I don't have long-term problems.
I'm sorry to hear of your injury, and the damage to your poor bike. For most riders its one of the risks we face to enjoy our freedom.

I'm sitting at the computer right now woith a cracked rib. It didn't happen while motorcycling, although the three previous ones did.

Injuries are no big deal. Painful for a while, but then our bodies are marvelous things and they soon heal themselves.

What is harder to deal with is the ultimatum from your wife. My first wife once said to me after an accident. "If you bring home another bike then I'm leaving". Well I would have missed that little women if she stuck to her word, because that threat meant I went and bought another bike that same afternoon. She stuck with me for another 17 wonderful years and 11 other bikes after that threat. :D

#19 ·
Bunker said:
Jonnylotto said:
Bunker,

1 month

1 year

5 years

I think you may be right. I hear all these logical thoughts about why I should just walk away. Then...I pass a bike. Any bike. And I can't help but feel the pressure on the grip in a sweeper, or the head turn and lean doing the tight offset cone weave in the parking lot. I got a kick out of both and I'm just not sure I'm ready to let it go. I'm so weak... :wink:

Tim
Motorcycling is not a logical activity. No matter how we present our arguments to our (parents/friends/significant others) about mpg, insurance, parking space, affordability (and I've used them all over the last 20 years :) ) we all (riders) know that it boils down to how we feel while we're riding. We ride because we want to, not because we have to, and just that little bit of moxie to spit in "proper society"s eye gives us the freedom to be a rebel that (most of) us can't afford to be in the other parts of our daily lives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.