StromTrooper banner

What's the best place to buy OEM parts?

9K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  MikeB 
#1 ·
Where's the best place to buy OEM Suzuki parts?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jim

#3 ·
Try Partshark.com

Reasonable pricing and shipping, good customer service. I HAVE no local dealer anymore so buy via Internet.

#4 ·
Thank you for your help...

Thank you for the help guys. My local dealer is a stealer so I went to the net.

Right side upper cowling:

Dealer: $196.00

PartsPitStop.com: $150.00

Thanks again for the help.

#6 ·
Thank you for the help guys. My local dealer is a stealer so I went to the net.

Right side upper cowling:

It's not fair to expect a dealer to match the lowest price on the 'net. They have overhead. If they've been good to me, I'll spend the extra bucks as long as they are not charging more than the highest price I find online -- that is a "stealer", in my humble opinion.

That said, I've had good luck with bikebandit.com.

#5 ·
Sorry I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I've got a dealer (Suzuki only) across the street from work literally 50 ft. away from my desk. He's great as it's a new dealer. He'll match almost any price for gear - jackets, pants, etc.. He will order anything in their catalogs (Tucker-Rocky and others) and match legitimate internet prices. I know a lot of the dealers that have been around a long time won't do this but for me it works. For OE parts it might be different.

#20 ·
My issue with ronayers is the amount of time they take to assemble your order is highly variable and you aren't given the best insight into how long it might take to get all your parts. In one case, I ordered some crush washers, they came in 3 days. In another case I ordered some crush washers, a bolt and a filter, and the entire order took a week and a half to ship.

#9 ·
dealer

i told my dealer that i would be buying my extras and parts for my bike dureing the time i own it and how much discount he would give me if i buy from him . he told me 20% off anything i buy from them . as i get older i find it easyer to ask for a deal . i found i doesnt work at the supermarket though

#11 ·
My local dealer dropped the Suzuki dealership for some reason but I don't miss going there.

The final straw was when I called twice requesting a quote for a valve check and never heard back. I ended up doing the job myself.

So, I've been ordering parts from RonAyers.com but they were taking too long to get orders out the door. BikeBandit.com seems to ship within a day or two but their prices are higher (a little less than a buck more on an oil filter, about 3 bucks more on an air filter, $30 more for a Honda XR front rim).

So, if I need something cheap and in a hurry, like an oil filter, I'll go to Bikebandit.com, but if it's a higher priced item I'll definitely check at Ronayers.com

- Martin

#13 ·
I've used Mrcycles.com for my current V and a previous Honda. This spring I had to do a rebuild of virtually the entire right side of the V and Mrcycles helped out greatly. I ended up ordering over two pages of parts worth close to $2000 and they were all correct. When I ordered parts for my Honda there was a mix up in part numbers but it was fixed quickly and the correct part was sent out. I'll buy from them again.

#14 ·
I think I found one of the best places on the net...

As I mentioned above I paid the following for the right side Cowl plastic from PartsPitStop.com:

I called them yesterday and left a message that I wanted to add to my order. They called me at 6:30 this morning (I'm in California, they're in Michigan) and added to the order on the phone. No extra shipping costs. I ordered these items:

Right and left hand guards for a DL1: $14.84 each

Mount screws, washers and nute: $3.14

Right side V-Strom cowl decal: $20.98

Suzuki "S" decals: $15.95

Shipping: $19.24 UPS ground.

I'm satisfied.

#16 ·
Xtreme Suzuki-Kawasaki in Bellaire, Ohio

Probably not news to many, but these guys seem to have pretty good prices and great service. I ordered on a Tuesday morning and my parts were sitting on my stoop when I got home Thursday. Normal shipping! (That's Ohio to MD near DC.) I even called them to add something to my order that I had placed over the Internet and they were very friendly and happy to chat about V-Stroms. I ordered the service manual with my order, it was out of stock but they shipped the rest of my order and will ship the manual when it arrives with no additional shipping cost. OEM oil filters were just over $8 and shipping wasn't obscene. Can't beat that sort of service with a stick.

http://www.187rideeasy.com/fiche_select.asp

#17 ·
I've used MRCycles, Ron Ayers, and Cheap cycle parts all with good luck as long as you know what you need.

I had a great parts department once a long time ago and I used them all the time, they may not have been the cheapest but the parts manager knew what he was talking about and even better knew what I was talking about. Of course he didn't last long there, the owner was, and still is, way too sleazy.

#18 ·
How Much $$$ does it take to re-road a wreck?

Ok so this is a little bit of a long question. I am still shopping for a Wee, trying to wait to buy until sometime after New years since I won't be home till March but when you spend that long looking you start to look off the beaten path. So I discovered the Salvage web sites. As it turns out you can buy a Wee with what appears to be mostly cosmetic damage and very low miles from 2005 - 2010 or so for under a grand in most cases. Thing is I'm not stupid, I know the damage is always going to be more than it looks like but I'm fairly confident in my ability to do the work, only where does the cost benefit barrier come in? I figured a good bet would be that I couldn't trust the forks and probably the front wheel on most of these. So I figured how much could that cost? Two front damper assemblies and a wheel right? I did some looking and the best price I saw on front damper assemblies was $610 and the Wheel assembly was over $400. Am I retarded or is that kind of high? Doing the math most wrecks are going to take almost $2000 to put back on the road safe just in parts, IF all the cosmetics (cowlings etc) are repairable. Can that be right:jawdrop:?

-CMF

#19 · (Edited)
I usually will check online at one of the dealer sites listed in the above threads and go to my local dealer with it. I know he can't match it but he does make an effort to get close.

edit: I compared the left side cowling price at Partspitsop to my dealers pricing and the dealer was just $3 more, tax included.

#21 ·
Doing the math most wrecks are going to take almost $2000 to put back on the road safe just in parts, IF all the cosmetics (cowlings etc) are repairable. Can that be right
Of course it's right. Otherwise the insurance companies would repair rather than total the bikes. And you can pretty much assume that cosmetics are going to be needed if the accident was sufficient to cause structural damage.

AND -- you are most likely to end up with a salvage title.

I can see a project like this as a fun thing to do, but not really cost-effective.

But to your question: when I was investigating parts purchase I found Oneida Suzuki the cheapest. You can search their online parts fiche to see what you may have to spend before entering into the experiment.

But what are some of these wrecked bike sales websites? Sounds like something I may be interested in for a winter project.

#25 ·
They would definitly be salvage title, two of the sites I have been looking at are Copart and Insurance Auto Auctions. I posted the links below but I don't know if they moderators will let them stay up, I think it's ok since they aren't actually links to specific bikes for sale.

vvvhttp://www.copart.com/c2/motorcycle_auction_search_results.html
vvvhttps://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Search.aspx?Keyword=motorcycles

-Chris

#22 ·
You'll likely end up returning the decal and the "s" emblem. The fairings come from Suzuki with those pre-installed. I made the same mistake and had to eat a restocking fee. Would be nice if a parts company would notice things like this and ask if you meant to do that.

Anyway, I order most OEM parts from Honda Motorcycle Parts I have found that they are generally cheaper than most places. Unless I need a single bolt or something, I'll always order from them. Easy to work with.

#27 ·
Conspicuous by their absence:

Avoid these guys: Babbitt's Suzuki Parts Online...Ordered miscellaneous clips, screws & bolts that tend to strip out over time. After two weeks, I called to find out why I hadn't seen tracking info and was told they were waiting for some of my parts. Three weeks later, some of my parts show up (of course, not the one I *needed*) so I called again. Spoke with a guy named Ben. He said he didn't know why they hadn't shipped the screw, because they had several sitting on the shelf. :furious:
He seemed concerned and assured me he would personally overnight the remaining part. Four business days later, no part. I e-mail Ben. No reply. I call Babbits the next day and they tell me inventory was wrong and the part is, indeed, on back order. No phone call, no e-mail...Come on, Ben...?
These guys claim to be customer service oriented, but the four I spoke with don't give a flip.

#28 ·
I used www.cheapcycleparts.com for my project bike and was happy with their service. I probably made 4-5 large orders and a few small orders over 16 months and they never screwed up any order and they never backordered me and parts typically came within a week. I was short one o-ring once but I really think that was my fault. During my project I damaged my swingarm and never could get the bearings out of the cushion lever. I ended up replacing both parts from ebay and didn't need the bearings I had purchased and they took them back for a 20% restocking fee (it was waaay past their generous return policy which I think is 60 days, but best to check). The only beef I have is that they charge something like $20 shipping regardless of the part size or order size. This was good when I was ordering bearings, chains, sprockets, etc that are heavy or bulky but toward the end of my project when I was ordering misc items I don't recall the shipping being commensurate with the part size. In any event, they often have "free shipping" on holiday weekends and such so I'd keep a list (typically it was $99 minimum for the free shipping deal) and pool my orders. Not sure how they are going to compare now that my typical order will be a few parts at most so I may shop around a bit if their total price (parts+shipping) is too high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.