StromTrooper banner

Madstad Changes?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dancer 
#1 ·
I have a very early model Madstad windscreen bracket that I really like, but I often look at it and wish that I could make some minor changes that would allow a steeper rake angle or perhaps bring the shield a little closer to the fairing.

I also noticed that more recently manufactured Madstad brackets have some slight differences from the early models.

My question is: do the more recent brackets have any functional differences in where they position your windscreen, or are the changes just cosmetic? Any reason to upgrade?

Thanks for your help my friends!

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

#7 ·
Not so much, I think. Color, of course. Knurled knobs on new, wing nuts on old. The very different position choices for the actual photos exaggerate the appearance of differences between the two. And my photo was not good -- taken out-of-doors in my carport after dark this evening, I was basically taking a photo of a black cat in a coal bin at midnight using the small camera flash for lighting.

#8 ·
Looks like the new bracket allows you to adjust the height of the screen, while the older ones only allow you to tilt the screen.
Some additional height adjustments would be nice.

I have the old version, but with the knobs and track nuts. I can only tilt the screen forward and back.

#11 ·
Again, I apologize for the poor quality photo that I took of my "old" bracket, but it actually allows for 3.5" of height adjustment and a bit over one inch of angular tilt (I don't know what that translates into, degrees-wise). In addition, the bracket itself can be securely mounted onto the fairing as much as two inches higher or one inch lower than I presently have it mounted. Therefore the total possible height adjustment would be six inches minimum.

Yes...there a several inches of height adjustment as well as the tilt. It has allowed me to create a nice bubble for my head. I think I get more air on my torso since it has moved further forward but that's Ok. I'll play with the adjustment a bit more. I find if I set the knob tension just right I can adjust the height and angle on the fly with one hand and the wind does not move it. Easy to experiment with at different speeds.
And my bracket must be like yours, StromTech, except for the wing nuts -- and exactly like the one described by RoosterMan.

#9 ·
Yes...there a several inches of height adjustment as well as the tilt. It has allowed me to create a nice bubble for my head. I think I get more air on my torso since it has moved further forward but that's Ok. I'll play with the adjustment a bit more. I find if I set the knob tension just right I can adjust the height and angle on the fly with one hand and the wind does not move it. Easy to experiment with at different speeds.

#10 ·
I have an "older" model on mine and from what I've seen, mine has wing nuts where the new ones have plastic knobs. However, mine still allows for height adjustement as well as tilt. I actually like the wing nuts better as they are smaller, less intrusive, and make a great place to attach zip ties to mount a leather windshield bag. The wing nuts are harder to adjust on the fly than the larger knobs, but once I got it where I like it I havent had to change mine in several months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.