StromTrooper banner

V2 Clutch Slipping. HELP !

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  richlandrick 
#1 ·
My '14 V2's clutch just started slipping 3 days ago. I can get it to slip in any gear if I crank on it. Here's some background. It's got 16.250 miles on it. 2 weeks ago I did an oil change and may have overfilled it just a little. Last week my friend and I installed a Rostra cruise control. I don't think that would have anything to do with the clutch slipping though.

I clean the front sprocket, clutch pin area with each oil change. I did it again after it started slipping but it's still slipping. One dealer advised me to bleed the clutch hydraulic line. I did. Didn't see any air bubbles.

Is there anything else I can do myself to check it out before I'm forced to take it to the dealer? The bike is still under warrantee but chances are the clutch wouldn't be covered. How hard is it to replace it myself? Would I need any special tools? I wouldn't be afraid to do the job myself with a little guidance.

Also - Where the hell did they hide the spell check feature?

#2 ·
First your oil, either brand or quantity isn't causing this. Cleaning the sprocket area is good, but did you remove and clean the clutch pushrod? It could be build up of crud in the slave cylinder opening. This could be a case of a bad slave cylinder, I have heard of that on these. It is highly unlikely your clutch discs, or other components in the clutch are needing replaced. I would be wary of a dealer that said they did and if not covered under warranty I would demand the old parts back. Then you could measure them and confirm the need to replace.

By the way, this is exactly what your warranty is for. I would certainly talk to the dealer about this.

#4 ·
I am not sure exactly how I did it but a while back, through a comedy of errors on my part, I manged to put the slave cylinder on in such a way that I pushed the clutch plates apart beyond their normal amount and they stuck open. I am not sure what caused it to happen but there was no simple fix that worked that I could do although my dealer was able to disassemble and reassemble it to fix it. (I suspect it wasn't that hard to do but beyond what I wanted to tackle.)

..Tom

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I only use Suzuki recommended oil, and I clean the sprocket/clutch slave cylinder every oil change. l'll check it again and see if it's still messed up.

It would seem to me that if the slave cylinder area is clean, the only other thing that would make it slip is worn plates (at 16,000 miles?), or a broken clutch spring or two. Anything actually broken should be covered.

I took it to a dealer and he estimated $500 - $600 to replace the clutch if it's not covered. I hate to take it there if it's something I can replace myself. Has anyone changed the clutch on a V2? I haven't looked at U-Tube to see if there is anything about changing the clutch.

#6 ·
Do what you want, but I think there is almost zero chance your clutch plates are worn. The same plates have gone over 300,000 miles in one bike and I have measured many sets with 70-80,000 miles and they were close to new.

Now it is possible that something in the new bikes slipper system is acting up and not properly adding torque to the plates.

You mention slipping in each gear. How long does it slip? Does it quit slipping on its own? Very important to know that....

If it quits slipping on its own, you can figure something in the hydraulics is sticking or the clutch pushrod is sticking. Cleaning the sprocket area is fine, but if you don't clean the clutch pushrod and take a look into the area where the clutch pushrod goes into the slave cylinder you are not looking at the problem areas. If you have had the slave cylinder off, it is not unheard of that you can get the slave cylinder cocked when reinstalling it and that WILL cause issues as well.

#8 ·
Revisit

Check the clutch push rod and release cylinder area again because that's where you worked last.

Looking at the service manual the dealer will only find 5-Transmission / 5C-Clutch / Clutch System Symptom Diagnosis: Clutch slips
- Weakened clutch springs - Replace
- Worn or distorted clutch pressure plate - Replace
- Distorted clutch plates - Replace

DL1000A (L4) SERVICE MANUAL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.