StromTrooper banner

hot weather starting

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  DougInKY 
#1 ·
It's 95 deg. here in so. wisc. today. And my 07 dl1000 coughed and gagged trying to start this afternoon after leaving work. I've noticed that when the bike sits out in the heat for ext. periods of time. Cracking the thottle once will help it start. But today I had to hold the throttle open for it to start and to keep it running. Then the smell of raw fuel. I'm using 87 octane. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Manual calls for 91+ octane... might be worth testing.

The raw fuel smell after cracking throttle during starting attempt is probably because it's fuel injected... thought you weren't supposed to offer any throttle to fuel injected engines on firing? I'm not a mechanic... :)
Manual does not call for "91+"...............might try opening the fuel door "before starting" when sitting in the sun/heat for extended periods, and cracking throttle before starting won't hurt anything.

#4 ·
FI engines have a starting circuit designed to start with the throttle closed. However, if heat causes excess fuel evaporation, the over rich result can easily be overcome by opening the throttle until it fires. I've had to do that twice in the past couple of years until the trip to the Rapid City rally. I couldn't keep count of the times on that trip without taking off my boots.

#11 ·
Wow, how interesting. Is this a 650-thing? In over 90,000 miles (and more than I care to remember in 105+ degrees) my DL1k has never, ever had a problem starting - regardless of the temperature. FWIW, I use Chevron gas if at all possible and always lowest grade.

AGirl

#6 · (Edited)
91 by the RON(research) method used in many countries is the equivalent of 87 by the (R+M)/2 method used in North America.

The quote from the service manual is:
Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 87 pump octane (R+M)2 or 91 octane or higher rated by the research method.

#10 ·
thanks for the replies, I'm trying 91 octane from better stations. And the last 2 days here in wis. it didnt make it to 70 deg. So we will wait and see. Another thought are the spark plugs, they are close to there first recommended change (10,000 m.) Is 10,000 agood time to change them or are there definate signs to change them. My klr650 would start losing mileage when the plug was (wearing out) new plug and the mileage was back.

#15 ·
Vapour Lock

What you are probably getting is vapour lock, the fuel evaporates in the lines and forms a kind of bubble that stops the rest from coming through. Opening the throttle as you turn the engine will make the piston pump the vapour out, thus the smell, and allow the "real" fuel to get to where it should be going.... I use high octane premium gas on my V1, because overall mogas in Brazil tends to be low on octane. The premium stuff also gets better treatment at refineries and through out distribution systems. Has less gum and overall higher quality. It´s pretty hot here but haven´t had any problems like this myself - probably because I try to park in the shade - the seat can get very hot in the sun ... :p

#16 ·
Try

Might want to try some injector cleaner (my fave is Techron). My K2 Vee starts better on hot days, or when hot, with the throttle cracked, which generally indicates a rich starting condition. Possible that heated fuel in line expands enough that injectors leak down, giving an initial rich condition. Cleaner may reduce the problem. Gasahol will probably tend to be worse about this than pure gas, so if you use the corn-squeezins grade may try real gas, if it's available. So far, mine's never failed to start (or even given indications that it might not start) so I figure it's a peculiarity, not a problem.

#17 ·
Hot start fix

OK I cant stand it any more :mad: You should never have to play with the throttle to start a fuel injected motor. Not some times when its hot, never ever ever. The problem is in the Emission Control system. The fuel tank vent runs to a charcoal canister then in to the throttle bodies. A day in the hot sun will send fuel vapor from the fuel tank straight in to your engine! This causes a super rich condition at start up so you have to play with the throttle to get it started. And yes my DL1000K9 had this problem. I pulled the fuel tank vent off the check valve just before the charcoal canister and plugged it and now it starts and runs after a day in the hot sun just as it should with out messing with the throttle. This wont do any thing to improve performance or mpg. It wont hurt either. This was a experiment for my bike that wouldn't start after a day in the hot sun. In my case thats 8 months out of the year. This may void your warranty and I'm not responsible for you dying in a massive fire ball if you try this.

#18 ·
That seems to be all accurate info. I don't mind opening the throttle occasionally in hot weather to keep my carbon footprint down.

G
#20 ·
I've been having some similar problems on my new 2011 dl 650 abs in hot weather. It'll start fine, but it will die when I put it into gear and go over 2000 rpm. Does anybody know if this is related to the fuel evaporation?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.