StromTrooper banner

Love My DL650

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  johno_SLC 
#1 ·
Just a short rave here. My '08 DL650 is my second bike. I rode an old Shadow 750 for most of last season (cheapest bike I could buy that I knew I could fix). Picked up my Wee in October. I've put 2500 miles on it since--would be a lot more if I didn't work from home.

I just got back from a short 200 mile ride today up to Mirror Lake in Utah's "Uinta" mountains. I rode with two Gold Wings, an 1800 cc cruiser, and a Honda 1200 sport tourer. Other than my buddy (one of the Gold Wings) everyone commented on what a great bike the 650 is. The Cruiser owner even said he's thinking of selling his cruiser and buying a Weestrom.

57 MPG. At $2.22/gallon right now, this has to be the most fun one can have legally...

Heading to Black Hat in Vegas at the end of the month, with soft bags for luggage. That'll be my longest trip to date and I'm really looking forward to it!

Hope to see some of you all on the road...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Johno_SLC

We have mirror stories. I purchased K8 wee in October and have similar mileage as you since my purchase. Fun and easy bike to ride.

I am glad that I resisted the urge to farkle too soon.

Things I am glad I updated-
-20" Madstad windscreen replaced stock screen
-added GIVI 46 liter top box

Things I am glad I waited on-
-handlebar risers....I over inflated my AirHawk that led to numb hands due to bad arm angle. Once I deflated to a proper inflation problem solved. no risers needed. Bike handles much better and I sit lower on the bike and no numb hands.

Farkles I am still considering-
12v outlets
old Phone as GPS using Ram X mount

Ride safe

#4 ·
@Soundman - wow, do they ever mirror! I did buy the SWMotech engine guards and skid plate. Haven't used them yet, but that's why they're there. And I have added a 12v outlet. I actually have a marine fuse block waiting for install, but I'd rather ride than work on optional stuff. And then next purchase includes a far cheaper Coleman seat cover, 17t sprocket, Nelson-Rigg sidebags and top bag (soft luggage, all I want to pay for right now). A Ram X mount would be great too!
@notacop - no doubt. Some very amazing ground to cover out here. Come visit sometime! I have given up on riding with these yahoos, so I'll be doing a lot of exploring on my own--using a camera a lot more, too. Hopefully you'll get some vicarious rides in. This year is crazy for me in terms of travel and weekend commitments, but it is slowing down now (finished training for a big cycling race, so I get my weekends back).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.