StromTrooper banner

Givi topcase ?s

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  GT500 
#1 ·
Okay gang at the risk of unleashing a topcase battle of brands, I've decided that I'd like to get a Givi topcase. Now here's the thing. I noticed that sporttour.com shows the E series of topcases. I am interested in being able to secure two full-face helmets, so I believe that I'll need a 46 liter box. The GIVI ad in Rider magazine shows the T series on the back of a DL650. What are the differences in these boxes. I noticed that V46N and E460N look like they might meet my needs, but can't find anything on the T series. Does anyone have experience with either of these cases? Is 46 liters like putting a shopping cart on the back of my bike or is it aesthetically okay? How secure is their mounting system? This is going to be my primary form of luggage transport other than my tank bag because of lane-splitting laws, so I'll need to remain a rather slim profile...I'm also cruious about the tailight kit, i.e simple splice job or what? Oh 1 last thing, water-resistance?
Thanks In Advance!

#2 ·
I have a V46 on my V and I can't fit 2 fullface helmets in it.

Small Shark and an XL ARAI. I even took out the little document holder in the lid, still no go, major disappointment.

The box itself is amazing to have. First bike I've had with more than a tankbag on it. I carry everything back there. Pick up groceries, clothes, oil change stuff, anything. Last night I used it to take a home cooked meal to a friend that is sick in the hospital. Really handy.

#5 ·
Like Heavy, I have the full Givi setup...V46 on top and E41s on the side. I have an XL Arai Signet helmet, and there's no way that I could put in 2 helmets unless one was way small. I've ridden over 24K over all kinds of terrain and at all speeds with the Givis with no problems. I ride my Strom to work every day (unless it's snowing), and the only case that I keep on the bike is the top box. It's the best. :D :D When you order it, don't bother with the light set. I think that it's a waste of $$. Same for the back rest. I have both.

You'll find that the E41s can share one key, but the V46 uses a 2nd one. I always thought that this was kinda dumb. Dealer said that I couldn't get the same lockset for both types of boxes. However, I visited the Givi booth at Americade on Saturday (yup, rained through the Adirondacks!), and they sold me a lock set including 3 tumblers using the same keys. (Givi article Z228, $25.40 USD) They claimed I could swap out the old tumbers with the new ones, which means that I only need to carry 1 key for all 3 boxes. I haven't done switched them yet, so I can't say for sure.

I'll let you know how this works out, unless someone else out there has done this before.

#6 ·
I have the E460 and I love it. It is very useful and well made--I jam stuff in there all the time. Sometimes I wish I had the 52 liter size, but if I did have it I would just want a box that would hold 64 liters (bigger can be much better).

We can fit two helments in the case if everything is positioned just right. Two large helment should fit nicely--my wife has a XXL helment (large heads run in the family). I don't ever remember anyone complaining about a Givi case leaking.

I installed the mounting plate in less than one hour, then I took it off and reintalled the front bracket 'backwards' to allow for more passenger room. The most difficult part was removing the rubber pad from the luggage rack without tearing the little rubber thingys.

Tonight I brought home a new printer/copier/fax. It was held up against the case with bunge cords, and everything held tight for the ride home.

#7 ·
I have the E52, that's the big one. You didn't ask about it but it does hold two full face helmets. Little else when two helmets are in there though.

I thought for a few weeks about what size to get and finally decided on the E52 just because I didn't want to run out of room and I like you wanted to keep a slim profile. Now most of the time I do not use the side bags.

I was a little worried about the super big size but I bought at a retail store where they let me try out several cases. Really I couldn't see too much of a difference between the cases, they are all bigger than I really wanted.

I have also not had a problem with leaking. I will say that the soft backpad works for my SO. It is overpriced but it does work.

#8 ·
GT500 said:
Like Heavy, I have the full Givi setup...V46 on top and E41s on the side. I have an XL Arai Signet helmet, and there's no way that I could put in 2 helmets unless one was way small.
I have the 45-liter, and can fit two XL helmets easily. It's simple...lay the helmets on their side, with the visor facing towards the front of the bike, so that the neck collar of each helmet is touching in the middle of the Givi box. Voila!

I'd recommend covering the helmet with its soft helmet cover (if your helmet manufacturer included a cover) for this, otherwise, the helmets may get scratched by dirt/dust in the bottom of the Givi box.

#9 ·
kneedrachen said:
This is going to be my primary form of luggage transport other than my tank bag because of lane-splitting laws, so I'll need to remain a rather slim profile
Looks like you're getting good info from Stromtroopers re your questions so I've got one for you... did NJ change laws since last summer when I was there riding and now allow lane-splitting??? :shock: I'll be passing thru there twice this summer and being able to split would help greatly.

Stromette
(a happy V46 owner)

#10 ·
#11 ·
I just received my E52 yesterday. I have not tried the 2 helmets yet, still hooking it up to the bike. They did an awesome job prewiring the box. All you have to do is run it to your brake light wiring and tap in using the supplied connector.
Take a look at the physical dimensions of the 46 and 52. If you compare, you will see that on the outside there is very little difference. So I opted for the big one knowing I won't regret having the extra space.

#13 ·
phew a flurry of responses here! first off thanks for everyone's help! i've decided on the E52 box, now just have to wait for the $ to roll in! STROMETTE-there is no law in nj that says you can't however, it does mention "automobiles" to maintain within dotted lines, i.e. it doesn't say you can, but it doesn't say you can't. beat a ticket already on it a few years back, plus my job kinda sorta gives me a little bit of leeway with the local constabulary. I also use a bit of discretion doing it, not like the 90MPH squids in traffic. . .When/where are you cutting through the great armpit state???? Thanks again everyone!

#14 ·
Just installed the E46 ...

Having instructions that actually give the order in which things need to go together would be most helpfull.

:wink:

First day ... on the ride to work, I could definitely tell it was back there. With it loaded with a tuna sandwhich, an apple and sandwhich bag of wheat thins, all loaded in a cooler, it made corner turn in more interesting .... quicker, would be a more descriptive term.

However, let me add that for pure convenience, it is an absolute joy to have back there. Very nice addition.

#16 ·
Following up on my previous...I finally got around to swapping the tumblers in E41s and the V46. Easily done. Worked as advertised. I can now use the same key in all 3 boxes. Givi article Z228, $25.40 USD (approx $45 CDN at your local dealer). Comes with 6 (count em!) keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.