StromTrooper banner

Shock Removal and Replacement

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pinkman 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone;

I just ordered a Wilber's shock for my '05 DL 1000 and was wondering if there are any directions available on removing the old shock and installing the new one? It looks to me like a bunch of stuff needs to be removed and if too involved, I just as soon have the shop do it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jack

#3 ·
As you have probably discovered, its no big deal, specially if you have a centre stand. I always advocate trying your own wrenching. It'll help you get to know and understand the machine better. As long as you don't frock it up. ;)

#4 ·
It depends on the center stand. The Suzuki stand allows direct removal. The SW-Motech stand has a crossbar in the way. The lower fulcrum has to be removed to get the shock out with the stand in place.

#6 ·
The OP has mentioned that he is doing work on a DL-1000. Are you commenting on the DL-1000 or the DL-650?

On a 2007 DL-650, equipped with a SW-Motech centerstand, the replacement of a rear shock can be done WITHOUT any interference from the SW-Motech centerstand.

I understand that the DL-1000 is more involved. But, I have no experience with that bike.

DL-650 rear shock replacement thread.

#8 ·
Black Lab,

I have replaced a shock on a 2007 DL650 with an SW-Motech center stand. The cast part connecting the frame shock and dog bones had to come out to do it. It hit the stand cross bar and would not allow the shock to drop down. I see you removed the wheel and lifted the swingarm to make more room. That could be enough to get the shock out of a DL1000 like your non ABS Wee. I couldn't do it because the ABS unit was in the way.

#9 ·
Gotcha!

I forgot that you had an ABS version.

The only other thing that I could think of was that maybe SW-Motech had changed the design of their centerstand.

I also didn't consider doing the job without removing the rear wheel. It just seemed like an impossible task, (or at least a very frustrating task!), trying to replace the shock with the rear wheel in place, so that's why I went that route.

Thanks for clarifying.

B.

#10 ·
I see. I never considered removing the rear wheel. All the other reports I saw and the Elka instructions left it in place and just pivoted the lever casting down. It was actually pretty easy to remove the lever casting. It was only one more bolt to take out and two inside washers that required a little pushing around to replace. I can tell you I was very happy to have a bike lift for that job. The hardest part was getting the stock hydraulic preload adjuster out. The ABS equipment hanger really got in the way.

#12 ·
Having done this in the parking lot of my townhome two times now, I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than change the rear shock. It didn't help that the seal failed on my Hagon spewing oil all over the area.

I'm sure working in a garage would help some, but you do what you do. With the SW stand on my DL, removing the lower shock pivot is necessary as is loosening the exhaust to get at the mounting bolts.

Wingspan, showing that picture of the big garage is just cruel to someone without a garage. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.