StromTrooper banner

MTSFMCW - Mohawk Trail.....2016.....Plan B

8K views 62 replies 16 participants last post by  RebornRider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Kids....The Mohawk Trail State Forest Motorcycle Camping Weekend (MTSFMCW) is not to be this year as our host has more pressing riding to do out west (Yes Gary we're all jealous).

So, in honor of Gary, I'd like to propose an even lesser organized plan B, so we can sit around the campfire and curse his good fortune...

Who: The Usual Suspects (Not just a great movie)
What: Good friends riding the Puppy Dog Trail and VT Gaps
When: Jun 24 - 26
Where: Silver Lake State Park, Barnard, VT
Why: Why Not? Like you really need a reason to ride...

This is a totally disorganized, Big-Boy, non-event! Make your own reservations, arrive when ya can, find your own places to eat, find your own riding partners and leave whenever the F you want.

That said.....What say you and Who's in???

Route: Puppy Gaps GPX

Map: Puppy Gaps Map

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
" This is a totally disorganized, Big-Boy, non-event! Make your own reservations, arrive when ya can, find your own places to eat, find your own riding partners and leave whenever the F you want."

Being planned in perfect MTSFMCW style, Pete!! I think it's an outstanding idea. And as much as y'all might be jealous of me riding out west, I'll be jealous of you riding Vermont. Equally beautiful, just different. More importantly, the company of this great loose group of riders will be sorely missed.
Presently, still hunkered down in a -10degree morning.
Ride safe all ( in your dreams! ) :)
gary
PS: I will be following y'all here on Stromtrooper and posting from time to time. And...... there's room in the trailer......

#3 ·
AWESOME non-planned, non-event, Pete. Nanyee and I are in and we've already reserved a tentsite.

For those interested in attending, I recommend reserving a spot ASAP. Silver Lake is incredibly popular and fills up fast, especially during prime time. As of now there are about 30 tent sites available and no lean-tos.

pmk

#4 ·
Hey Pete.....I have heard a lot of good things about the Mohawk event, and will put it on next year's event list. The 26th is my 40th wedding anniversary, and I'm sure that Nanyee would cut kill her Phil, just like my wife will kill me if I was gone that weekend :frown2:

Have fun,

Phil

#10 ·
Just put it down on my calendar. Will reserve a site this evening. Glad to see the usual cast of characters are already chiming in.
Can't wait for this event. No hate on Gary for abandoning us ( LOL). Just wish his crew would have stayed behind to make us that great food. We better come up with an alternative. Maybe Yuval's wife would make us some middle eastern food.>:)

#11 ·
Just put it down on my calendar. Will reserve a site this evening. Glad to see the usual cast of characters are already chiming in.
Can't wait for this event. No hate on Gary for abandoning us ( LOL). Just wish his crew would have stayed behind to make us that great food. We better come up with an alternative. Maybe Yuval's wife would make us some middle eastern food.>:)

Thank you Pete for getting this together. Maybe we should call this NEVA lite or Fall Peep Show lite!

#16 ·

Thank you Pete for getting this together. Maybe we should call this NEVA lite or Fall Peep Show lite!
That is a possibility, but you guys are booking up all the sites.
Syd, can we stay with you on one site?

#12 ·
Syd,
Just now saw your private message to me. I'm not sure that my response went through, to I copied it and will paste here:
Hi Syd,
Just now seeing your message here. Well, seems like Pete's taken the bull by the horns and is organizing a non-organized event at Silver Lake Campground in Vermont. I do have some e-mail addresses of folks not on Stromtrooper, though:
jeffdynia1@yahoo.com - Jeff was on a 09 Strom, and is now riding a Triumph 800. He brought is wife Cate ( not Kate ) to the last one. He's a very accomplished kayaker and an all around good guy.
billygh66@gmail.com - Billy is our New York City firefighter. He's been riding a variety of bikes. I think he's on a DR650 now. He's been to every MTSFMCW since it's inception.... one of the founding fathers!
beemerjim@yahoo.com - Jim has lead groups through west Massachusetts mazes and labyrinths since the first camp out. He possesses an uncanny knowledge of the back roads. A very good rider and great all around company. He's mostly on an older KLR, but has a beemer, too.
lrobert14@comcast.net - Known on KLR650.net as "Mr Fix" and I can't recall his real name honestly. He's a freakin' mechanical genius and was at the last camp out.
stillwater@tops-tele.com - John O. our friend from Stillwater Farm, Vermont. John's on the BMW 1200 GS Adventure. He's a great guy. I love him dearly and he's a "must have" for any camp out. His wife, Kate, along with my Patty and Betty are the girls that have provided fare at all the camp outs, unasked. Kate's a great addition to any camp out in her own unmached rite.
Slanetzb@att.net - That's our beloved Betty. While she's not a rider, she's been to every camp out and has provided eats beyond compare to everybody. Betty's an avid "birder" and also an accomplished kayaker. She also would be a plus in any camp out, and I'm pretty sure would ride pillion if asked.
So that's about what I have of folks not already on Stromtrooper, Syd. Do give them a shout out. That would be real nice. Especially comming from you.
I'm following the development of this on the bulletin board and do feel a big longing to be there. But June will be finding me exploring roads through the Rockies and long stretches of uninhabited lands.
Ride safe, my friend. And remember I'm not that far away and do have room in the trailer for a Stromtrooper or two who might want to venture out west. Come October, when winter is making ready to set into Wyoming, we'll be moving camp to the high desert somewhere within 50 miles or so of Las Vegas and will be spending the winter exploring desert regions and maybe the west coast. There are many motorcycle rental places in Vegas! Food for thought.
gary

#18 · (Edited)
I just reserved T28 , hopefully far enough from the seismic rumblings ... >:)

Edit : and then , in a reversal of the normally ordained order of things , I checked with my supervisor that the weekend in question was not already booked for one of the slew of weddings I'll be attending this summer - And got the all-clear !

Will I be the sole representative of The Foreign Legion attending ?

Alex .

#20 ·
Wow! I had no idea that most of you are such light sleepers! Funny that folks like RebornRider and Patty, Psychledelic and Billygh66 who tented close to me at the original Mohawk gatherings never mentioned anything about my supposed snoring. Still, that's why I signed up early and picked Site 36 so the Sallys in the group could have the option of keeping their distance. Hope for your sakes there aren't any loons on the lake. You'll never get any sleep! ;-)

#24 ·
I have added it to the calendar. Too far out to confirm, boat launch season will determine my ability to travel or not.
Fingers crossed, it looks like some good roads.

#25 ·
Will be following this thread in it's entirety throughout! I've a vested interest, ya know. I can think of no better people to carry this torch than Pete and Ginni. Thank you for picking it up. I'll be riding in the Rockies, but will be sorely missing this event.
Ride safe all. :)
gary

#27 ·
Pete,
Gotta extra room in the camper. You can rent a bike in Jackson or Idaho Falls. Will be there June through September, although coming back east in September for a couple of weeks, then headiing down to Boulder City, Nevada for Oct 1. Jackson or Vegas..... pack up your gear, your gal, and c'mon out! Really! :)
gary

Reactions: Tnkrplt
#28 ·
Just booked a site (T33A)!
One more weekend of chores avoided. :wink2:
Thanks for helping out with that, Pete. :grin2:

#33 ·
SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT....

PhilStrom
Hey gang.....Pete took the Friday video he already posted, on the route I planned on MyRoute-app.....we have entered the 2nd quarter video contest to win a TomTom Rider 410.......since Alex' GPS bit the dust at Romney, if we win....we are going to offer it at a 'charitable rate' to Alex

So to win, we need votes....and it IS a great video !!! Please go to https://www.myrouteapp.com/share/grid and vote as many times as you wish from now until the end of June....we are the only North American entry....so let's show them allegiance !

#37 ·
I've tweaked the route a bit to add a breakfast and lunch spot. Other than that not much has changed. Four weeks and counting...
Right click on link and select: "Download Linked File"

Puppy Gaps-V2
Pete,
Was unable to down load Puppy Gaps V2. The first route downloaded with no problem. I did try to right click link, but nowhere did I see " download linked file". Downloading into Basecamp and then upload to Zumo 660. Any suggestions? :confused:

#35 ·
As long as work doesn't interfere, I'll be coming up Saturday morning and sharing site 31 with Bill (Woodentoy), I'll do my own ride on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing seeing everyone again.

#39 ·
Pete,
Thanks. I downloaded the route into Basecamp and then my GPS. It is there for sure. My version has 131 Via points, a distance of 362.6 miles and a time of 10 hrs. and 6 minutes. Basecamp and my GPS asked to recalculate the route, as it was created on different maps. Any suggestions? Otherwise I am just following YOU!!!

P.S. where is my Commodore 64 when I need it:laugh2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.