StromTrooper banner

Heel/toe shifter

13K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  realmenarentmacho 
#1 ·
Dear Suzuki,
I am in Thailand (have a Thai wife) in my wife's home village. Her brother has an older Suzuki 50 cc scooter with a heel/toe shifter. Why don't we have this in the west ? You can upshift by pressing down on the heel, downshift like normal by pressing on the toe. Since it is still one lever mounted to the shaft, it might cost you only an additional $.35-$.50 to produce the longer lever, but it would allow us to never have to put our foot under the front shifter again, making for easier riding, and less chance of getting our foot caught between the tarmac and the shifter while cornering.
Also why do you have a 2 piston caliper on the rear brake of this little bike ?
Thanks Suzuki. I hope you are listening, although I rather doubt it.
jeffster

#3 ·
Dorzak, are you serious ? I wouldn't be caught dead on a Harley, I just like the idea of a heel/toe shifter. I didn't even know Harleys had one. I only have one set of toes; perhaps you have a spare set. Sorry, bud, I have already crashed hard. If you have ever done that, you might understand my concern. Try a little empathy. Anyway, this thread is to Suzuki, not to you.
Regards, the jeffster

#9 ·
just relax. suzuki ain't going to read this stuff.
how could anybody NOT know that harley's have them? actually, they put them on bikes whith floor boards because you CAN'T get your toe under the lever (unless they adjust them rediculously high).
try an air shifter, designed for sport bikes. use it for upshifting whenever you're concerned about yur toes. but why would a set of smashed up toes stop you from riding anyway? i met this dude had a fake left foot. he was on an extremely used XR650. he rides all the trails around here and his bike shows it.

#5 ·
I can't think of any heel/toe shifters on a bike without floorboards right offhand. I think you're targeting the wrong company. The chances a bike manufacturer will put a heel toe shifter on a sport or dual sport bike, and an in production one at that, are slim to none. A request to aftermarket suppliers would be more likely to get results and even that would be iffy. The rear brake has a single piston caliper. Also, if you need to upshift while leaned over, you are cornering wrong. Upshifting should be done after accelerating out of the corner.

#6 ·
Huh?

You're an idiot. Stop smoking that Thai weed and learn to ride. If you don't know why a bike like the V-Strom doesn't have a heel/toe shifter you shouldn't be riding it or anything else.

#7 ·
You're an idiot. Stop smoking that Thai weed and learn to ride. If you don't know why a bike like the V-Strom doesn't have a heel/toe shifter you shouldn't be riding it or anything else.
No, he's not an idiot. He has his opinion just like everyone else even though it presumes that others want the same thing he does. Personally if my bike had a heel shifter I'd take a hacksaw to it just to get it out of my way, but to each their own.

Greywolf is right. This needs to be aimed at the aftermarket companies because only a small minority would be interested in one and Suzuki would be far more interested in what the majority wants.

#8 · (Edited)
It was just a thought; I don't think Suzuki could be bothered much with our opinions.

Yes, O.K., an aftermarket item.

No, I don't smoke weed. I was over it by 1974.

Yes, I do know how to ride, but after a hard crash my perspective has changed somewhat. You can't grasp that if it hasn't happened to you.

Greywolf, you've never come hard out of a corner, ran out of revs midway through it, and had to upshift while still cornering ?

The scooter had a 2-piston rear caliper, I know that Wees have a 1 piston rear.

FYI - I don't think they have Wees here, but I can check if anyone is interested. Went to an import moto accessory store today on Rachadapisek Road, BKK, the owner asked me what I rode, I said Suzuki V-Strom 650, and she gave me a quizzical look like she had never heard of it. They do have some big Yamahas here, however.

Greetings from the land of smile !!
jeffster

#10 ·
Greywolf, you've never come hard out of a corner, ran out of revs midway through it, and had to upshift while still cornering ?
Never. Not once. I can't imagine being close to redline while in a corner.

#13 ·
Well, I will just say an aftermarket heel-toe shifter might be interesting. Why? I commute and do a lot of shoe changing because I don't want to scuff the top of my dress shoes with the shifter. In fact, that is one reason I am looking at an automatic scooter.

#14 ·
It's a bad idea to ride in dress shoes. Boots are a basic safety item. Keep a pair of shoes at work or carry a pair in the luggage.

#17 ·
I know, but some would say riding a bike at all is a bad idea. Just looking at options and heel-toe might be one. Mainly, I was responding since the OP was getting ragged for even asking.

#16 ·
My left leg was badly injured in a car crash. After 19 years it still does not function as I want. Shifting the V-Strom causes me to have pain in the area where one would get 'shin splints'. My Vulcan has the heel-toe shifter. Man, I can stomp out some wicked quick up shifts with that heel shifter. I really like it. Less force required. They are very nice once you get used to them. I don't figure they would be too compatible with a V-Strom, however. I would like to try it.

#18 ·
There's nothing wrong with wanting a heel/toe shifter. Some reasons for wanting one are just better or worse than others.

#19 ·
Hi Greywolf,
We all ride differently, some harder than others. I crashed 'cuz I was riding too hard. On my Sprint, I had my feet caught between the tarmac and the shifter on many occasions. It hasn't happened on the Wee, at least not yet, because the Wee has more ground clearance than a Sprint and because I don't ride as hard now. That is one reason MotoGP and Superbikes have reverse pattern shifters, because they're not waiting to exit a corner to shift if they need to, and they are way leaned over while still shifting. I am not putting myself in their category, but I understand the principle.
As far as losing a few toes goes, I'd really rather not. It is EZ to be macho about it if you have all your body parts intact, but after you crash, and have body damage for the rest of your life, your perspective changes somewhat, or perhaps not, as the case may be.
jeffster

#20 ·
Hang in there Jeffster! Don't let the negativity get you down. Modifying something like your motorbike to fit your needs is your right. Getting bogged down by the name calling and inappropriate comments that line this thread should not end your efforts to explore and improve your ride. Good luck with your heel toe shifter and please remember, there are others out there that are not as judgmental and righteous as those who victimized you on this thread.

#21 ·
Hi back Jeffster. Your wanting a heel toe shifter is all the reason you need. You don't have to justify having one. I wish you luck in your quest. It's fine if we have different ideas on riding styles but that's a different issue. If I knew where you could get a heel toe shifter, I'd tell you right now.

#22 ·
Thanks Sarcastro, but I'm guilty of negativity here also, made negative comments to Dorzak. Sorry, Dorzak.
Hi again Greywolf, I just thought it was a cool idea, but I doubt anyone makes one. Anyway, it will have to wait until I get a Madstad and a topbox, maybe a rad guard.
Regards, jeffster

#23 ·
alright. that's what i like to see. like wise here bro. you were just sticking up for yourself. but don't wory about it I can take it. you'll never hear me whining about being picked on. but i was just razing you in my first post didn't mean to offend. I just don't think a heel shifter you be practical on this bike because of the riding position. and besides it ain't any more stupid than adding dual plugs to cure a slight surging problem.

#24 ·
Vstroma.com has a steel replacement shift lever. It should be pretty easy for even a welder with only basic skills to set up a heel on the back and it's less expensive than an OEM lever.

#27 ·
Now I know better than to ask the question about a heal toe set up. Lost my left leg last fall I was wondering if anyone had any success finding an after market H/ T shifter that worked.

#28 ·
Sorry to hear of your problem, ST114ME. That sure will take some getting used to. I wish you well with your recovery and adapting to your new situation.

I hope you can continue riding. Maybe a dual clutch automatic NX700 Honda would work for you.

I still have a left leg but it has several medical problems. After a short ride my shifting ankle is often painful, sometimes to the point of needing crutches afterward. When I ride the Vulcan, that has a heel-toe shifter, I never have this ankle pain. I really like heel-toe shifters.

FWIW, that 1600 Vulcan is a slickest shifting motorcycle I have ever rode.

G
#29 ·
all the bluster and chest pounding aside...

I dont know why a V-strom would not have a heel-toe shifter. personally i'd like to try it, the top of my left shoe is getting trashed.

the only objection i have heard to the h-t shifter is that you can trash your transmission if you are a fool and ride around with your foot on the shifter.

So, i noticed that not one person actually addressed the question, which is "why no heel-toe shifter on a vstrom?". this leads me to believe that nobody has an answer, and that it might just be a good idea.

i dont need to upshift in a turn, and i am not worried about having my toe under the shifter, but i do like my shoes to stay unscuffed, and i find it slightly annoying to have to get my toe under the shifter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.