StromTrooper banner

Fuel Gauge No Longer Reads Full

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  bobbyvstrom 
#1 ·
My fuel gauge has stopped going all the way to full. Even after just filling up the last bar on the gauge remains unlit. This started about 5 tanks back, anybody else have this issue?

#3 ·
That happens when electrical connections inside the tank pick up a little extra resistance.

#5 ·
Connections get dirty, corrode, arc or lose springiness with age.

#7 ·
The usual problem in inside the tank. You need to take the fuel pump out of the tank to check.

#9 ·
yikes, that's the first report that I know of with this issue on a 2014. I've got 22k km on mine and it still goes to full.

#10 ·
Something you may want to try that is cheap and quick:

My first VStrom 1K was bought used with not many miles. Apparently, the gas got old and "varnish" and other crud coated the fuel gauge float. This made it heavier, and it sank rather than swim - making for a low reading. When this happened, fellow readers recommended strong fuel cleaner so I dumped in a bottle of Gumout or Techron (enough for a 15-gallon tank) and let it slosh around for a few days while I didn't put many miles on it. After several days, I took a good ride, and when I refilled, the fuel gauge magically jumped to "Full" and stayed there for 50 miles like it should.

Will this work for you? Maybe - maybe not. Not harm in trying.

Good luck.

#11 ·
It's more likely to have cleaned the electrical connections.

#13 ·
I've had the same issue with my bike. I'll definitely try a bottle of Tehran. Thanks for the tip!:wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.