StromTrooper banner

Motech quick release

4K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  acormier7 
#1 ·
Anyone in the Niagara Falls area have motech pannier racks I could look at before purchasing...thanks:D

#2 ·
If you come near the Toronto area we could arrange a meet as have them on my Strom.

I work in Woodbridge and when it isn't snowing or crazy heavy raining + cold I normally take the bike to work.

..Tom

#3 ·
Sounds good

But a little brrr at this time..Just purchased an o8 at Newmarket Suzuki..good deal.....I have a set of Happy Trails panniers I wish to bolt to the motech racks...what do think..sturdy enough..? Hated to make a purchase than find out they wont work..any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
The racks are very solid and go on and off very quickly. I don't know how the Happy Trials cases work. SW-Motech makes adapters for a number of side cases but I don't see Happy Trails listed.

If you don't get an answer here you might want to ask at ADVrider.

..Tom

#8 ·
Remember: I bought mine after seeing yours and getting your reviews. So really, I'm backing you up.

..Tom

btw: you got to do something about your job. I don't think i saw you at al this year (maybe the annual april run briefly? Weren't you goign to come down and try on my Frogg Toggs for size?)

btw * 2: didn't I get my Corbin after sitting on your corbin?

#11 ·
I'm very happy with my Quick Racks. Not sure if they've changed at all since '02, but have served me well. Recently moved them from my '02 to my new-to-me '06. Bought them from Twisted Throttle too and happy with their service.

I'm in Mississauga if you still want to take a look before purchase.

#12 ·
I have a buddy with a Wee in Burlington who has the Motech quick release side case supports. I am pretty sure he would allow a viewing.
Is that close enough?
He has Pelican cases on them.

#13 ·
I wouldn't mind seeing the SW Motech and Pelican setup. I already have the pelican's and was going to make rack's but I like the sound of the SW Motech's. My step daughter lives in Hamilton so that would work when we go to visit. Is the bike in storage over the winter?

#14 ·
thanks

Looks like we lots of Vstrom riders in Southern Ontario..Im a newbie on a 08 650..is their a get together you boys have...like a vstrom fest or some kind of event? I spoke to Twisted Throttle the salesman informed that Parker Brothers will most likely be at the new bike show in Toronto in December..so just maybe I could a look at the racks...apparently a dealer for Sw motech...:var_39:

#28 ·
local Stroms to you

Looks like we lots of Vstrom riders in Southern Ontario..Im a newbie on a 08 650..is their a get together you boys have...like a vstrom fest or some kind of event? I spoke to Twisted Throttle the salesman informed that Parker Brothers will most likely be at the new bike show in Toronto in December..so just maybe I could a look at the racks...apparently a dealer for Sw motech...:var_39:
well, I know only a couple Vstrom riders personally... but then I have owned my bike only a short time too.
I sent you a PM with contact info if you would like to see that set-up side case set-up on my friends Wee Strom.

And there was an Adventure Rider gathering in Septemeber in Algonquin Park area for a weekend. Only gathering have heard about recently.

FYI, there is an Dual Sport Plus dealer located in Stoney Creek. Store is new this year since Sept. I understand he could be a valuable asset in setting up your bike and buying parts for dual sport bikes. I have not been to his store yet.

Dual Sport Plus, 221 Barton St, Stoney Creek On
905-664 8811 phone
sales@dualsportplus.com
www.dualsportplus.com

open Tues thru Friday 10am to 7pm, Sat 9am to 2pm
CLOSED Sunday & Monday

The store specializes in adventure riding but the owner was once a sport bike race shop tuner.
He has lots of experience. Finally set up his own shop.

#15 ·
2tall ,

I just recently installed the SW Motech quick lock mounts . There is a new and improved design over even a fairly recent design . I like mine tons . They are pretty awesome . But I didn't use the pelican cases I thought I originally wanted . My thoughts were first ont eh peliocan 1440 because they top load . I went with a different aluminum pannier set up . I found some Studebakers for $293 shipped . They rock . Never the less , the new SW mounts are by far different . It is not the way they attach to the bike . It is the plate that the boxes mount to . Tons touhger than the ones in the past .

#17 · (Edited)
Tom ,

Dagnabbitt , In knew someone would say that . I was hoping just a solid opinion would do . LOL . Naw , I knew I would need to ultimately post some photos , but considering the fact that the Dragon Lady is locked in her trailer and it is dark out I will try to take them time and post up a few tomorrow of the mounting brakcet itself . However , I do have a couple I can post now of the panniers mounted on the bike .

Just FYI , no , those panniers do NOT have hinged lids . I personally do not care for hinged lids because if you have ANYTHING on the rear of the bike as far as cargo goes and it laps over the top of the box , you gotta take it all off to get in . Again , personally I do not care for the more dressy panniers that open to the side . I have never had a set that didn't leak over time .
More FYI ? There are not pactory locks on these panniers . Again , I personally don't care for the Beemer rider typ locks . In my experience with those locks , they get tons of grit and yuck in them and if they get wet and it gets cold , I am not to fond of having to carry lock de-icer in my tank bag to get be able to get the locks unfrozen .
A real solid 2 millimeter thick brushed aliminum pannier . I am one to like the basic funational stuff though . I think I have roughly $545 in the whole setup not counting the stainless steel nuts bolt and washer I pruchased to mount the panniers . The panniers are not pre-drilled . That was one of the biggest attractions for me other than price and quality . It allows mounting position choices to suit bike setup and rider preferences .

Just my opinion , Wes

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Karl ,
To get a pic of just the mounts , I would have to take the panniers off the racks . That's the overall beauty of those mounts . The pannier CAN hard mount to them so you can strip them off connected to the rack . It takes about 20 seconds to get the whole thing stripped down to a naked bike . All that gets left behind are the tabs sticking out and the corss bars that is nearly invivsisble . I will dog aroung in my photos to see if I have a sort of decent one from when I had the mounts on and was waiting for the boxes themselves .

The big difference in the new SW mount , and the older version , is the older version was a flat plate that couldn't really take falls without bending a bit . The new version is a really tough rectangular tubular . In other words , the part of the mount that actually makes contact with the boxes used to be flat and now is rectangular tube . Ballsy to say the least over the older version . Everything else is thr same . For what it is worh , they are solid as rocks . Not rattles or anything annoying like that .

Wes

#20 · (Edited)
I couldn't find a good pic with just the mounts on the bike , so I went out to the bike and did some new ones to show you . You can pretty much see what is going on here . Just take not of the pics I took of what little is left behind when you take off the panniers .

Wes

p.s. Yu might want to notice , that from the time I posted I was going to look for a file photo , looked for a file photo and could not find one . Then find the camera , go outside , open the trailer , take pics , take panniers off , take more pics , put panniers back on , close and lock trailer back up , come inside and upload phots as well as build a file and resize photos . The get them uploaded on the forum and post . It wook me 17 minutes . Not bad huh ?
I would take you that long to strip a bike of MOST panniers and mounts if you wanted to ride without them .

Just a thought you might want to ponder , Wes

Attachments

#25 ·
I couldn't find a good pic with just the mounts on the bike , so I went out to the bike and did some new ones to show you . You can pretty much see what is going on here . Just take not of the pics I took of what little is left behind when you take off the panniers .
Wes
p.s. Yu might want to notice , that from the time I posted I was going to look for a file photo , looked for a file photo and could not find one . Then find the camera , go outside , open the trailer , take pics , take panniers off , take more pics , put panniers back on , close and lock trailer back up , come inside and upload phots as well as build a file and resize photos . The get them uploaded on the forum and post . It wook me 17 minutes . Not bad huh ?
I would take you that long to strip a bike of MOST panniers and mounts if you wanted to ride without them .
Just a thought you might want to ponder , Wes
Po-Sloke... What's up...

So, I want to order and receive the "NEW IMPROVED" Version from a supplier.
How would I know if I'm going to get the new improved version, or old version from some supplier's stock ?

Can you recommend a place to order from that will insure I get the newer version?

I plan to order mine soon.

#21 · (Edited)
A couple more pics . These are of exactly what you have left after dettachment of the paniers . Sorry about the bike being dirty . I got caught in the slop drizzle yesterday .

Wes

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Hello Mr. BDP ,

How the hec are you my friend ? Yes , I can assist you with that . In fact , the best assistance I can give is to suggest you call Twisted Throttle and get them to confirm your needs and place the order via tele .

Here are 2 links to help you out here . The 1st link is of the old version , but the part number is the same as the new version that fits the DL's.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/19/108/

The 2nd link is to a picture of the same new version on a KTM .

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/28

Before someone asks , NO , the KTM and DL mounts are not the same , other than the design . In other words , they won't cross over from one bike to the other , but are design common . I got that tid bit of info directly from my Twisted Throtte sales person .

Enjoy TDB

p.s. Jim , are you in love with it yet ? LOL

#27 ·
Hello Mr. BDP ,
How the hec are you my friend ? Yes , I can assist you with that . In fact , the best assistance I can give is to suggest you call Twisted Throttle and get them to confirm your needs and place the order via tele .
Here are 2 links to help you out here . The 1st link is of the old version , but the part number is the same as the new version that fits the DL's.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/19/108/
The 2nd link is to a picture of the same new version on a KTM .
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/28
Before someone asks , NO , the KTM and DL mounts are not the same , other than the design . In other words , they won't cross over from one bike to the other , but are design common . I got that tid bit of info directly from my Twisted Throtte sales person .
Enjoy TDB
p.s. Jim , are you in love with it yet ? LOL
Thanks Wess,

I just got my TopCase from TwistedThrottle!

Just installed it (The New CooCase Astra48) It Rocks!

I also installed the BackOff Brake Light System at the same
time and used the Plug and Play connection from EasternBeaver!

All went well without incident.

I'll order the SW Motech from TwistedThrottle!

Thanks Wess! ...... And May the Farkeling Continue till Spring! :p
Jim

#30 ·
Hi,
I got a price from http://www.dualsportplus.com/ in Stoney Creek and this is where I will be buying mine. Here's a copy of the email I got from the owner, Les Clarke.

Hello Art,
The evo carrier is available for your dl 1000 price is 280.99 cdn here at
our shop. Delivery is about 2 weeks.
Thanks
Les

280.99 plus tax and $12.00 shipping in Ontario is $331.00, $317.00 if picked up.

The price from Twisted Throttle shipped to Canada would be
$229.00 US
$49.00 US shipping to Canada.
With tax and exchange of 1.27 that work's out to about $395.00 CND plus brokerage fee's possiblly. Even if I had it shipped to a friends house in Buffalo and didn't pay tax it still would be about $328.00 CND.
All email's were answered within an hour or so during bussiness hours, let's support this guy if we can. Buy Canadian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.