StromTrooper banner

Pannier rack question

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  AceRider 
#1 ·
This might have been covered in the past some where but i cannot find it. Where on the right the rack needs to be farther from the bike and on the left it can be closer. Does anyone know if one of the companies make an asymmetric rack system, allowing for a larger pannier on the left and a smaller on the right.

Oh yes for a new 2015 dl650

thanks
Gordie

#5 · (Edited)
My Happy Trail racks are....
I have 2 tool tubes mounted on the inside on the left on them.
I originally had 7.5" Teton boxes on them. They are "Hell for Stout" construction & Very stable.
As a side note, they are also for sale..... See the "For Sale" listings & make me a offer... :beatnik:

#6 · (Edited)
Touratech Zega Pro and Hepco Becker are asymetrical and high quality. You would not go wrong with any of these choices.

Jesse Luggage is asymetrical, bullitproof, very highly regarded, but not waterproof. I would prefer their mounting system and would choose these if it were not for the sealing (and mebbe even so).

Happy Trails makes high quality product at affordable prices. But, it's not in the same quality class as the others. Symetrical mounting with same-size cases (mounting leaves a "hole" on the left, non-exhaust side).

SW Motech Givi Outback Trekkers are apparently symmetrical, but I'm not sure of this. There are no installation instruction given, and so I'm going by the pictures. A YouTube video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRTSjCHBG-0 , at 5:50 , shows them being very close to symmetrical using the 37 / 37 L system kit, but it's not quite. It close to where you have to lok carefully.

All of these are top opening. HB makes a side opening product (the Junior model line).

Touratech Zega Pros make you relocate the turn signals. I think Jesse, Givi, and HB do not according to install instrucions. Not sure about HT.

Jesse Luggage say 78 L combined / overall size, but not individal side sizes, but likely a 33 / 45 L split.

Touratech prefers to sell ou a 31 /38 L split "system", but you can supersize it to 38 /45 L, if you order the individual parts.

Hepco Becker will sell 30, or 40 L cases (and I like the Xplorer series), but recommend the Junior Enduro series "system" (30 / 40 L split) in their notes for the side mounting rack (2015 catalog, Page 176, note "E").

SW Motech Givi Outback Trekkers will sell 37, or 48 L cases, and sell a 37 / 37 L "system" of two same-size cases. These new Outback boxes need a side rack that is not compatible with other Givi luggage.

#9 ·
SW-Motech TraX are asymetric too - 45L left, 37L right. The racks for the DL650 are spaced for the pipe.

#10 ·
if you are into aluminum pannier system -holan system keeps your overall width to 99cm with a capacity of 38L +33L(effective) = 71L

yet because of the exhaust cut - the system looks symmetrical - i was seriously looking at this system but i am not into aluminum box

most of other system are well over 100cm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.