StromTrooper banner

cogent dynamics ddc fork kit

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ptarmigan2 
#1 ·
After 5 months off the bike, long vermont winter I got to ride today testing out new things- cogent ddc kit,race tech 85kg springs, adventure tech fork brace vermont roads are very rough and I wanted to make the front suspension to work better, it always felt a bit harsh. I weigh 190lbs and the improvement in ride is incredible the forks eat up the rough roads now, wow! well worth the time and money and I definitely would recommend these upgrades, the bike rides so much better.

#3 ·
Better But

I did the same mod for the same reason, and it is an improvement; But it isn't fantastic in comparison to other bikes I have ridden. It felt more stable after a few bumps in a row and reduces the wrist jarring I was getting in standard form.

I got mine from Procycle. The instructions for preload were a little less than 100 % clear IMO.

My verdict: reasonable value for $, but still no where near plush and controllable like the euros front ends.

Suzuki has the parts in its factory to build good forks, but they choose not to on economic grounds. I takes correct springs and valving to sort out their DRZ400, DR650, DL650 etc. How hard would it be for the factory to copy the settings of a well set up unit instead of selling us the same old crap year in , year out.

#4 ·
I bought the kit from pro cycle cost $372- fork brace $60 from adventure tech the pro cycle kit includes fork springs, oil, fork seals - didn't need them, ddc install/removal tool and the cogent ddc's . The race tech springs came with no spacers or washers had to call race tech and they sent them out no charge a bit of a hassle! If I had to do over probably would purchase from cogent they claim to send pre cut spacers with their fork springs eliminating the calculations for spacer length for preload, Rich from cogent was very helpful on how to do this. I agree with xrman about the directions for doing this from race tech, but a phone call to cogent helped me through this process. A+ for customer service from cogent!

#5 ·
+1 KB

Deal direct with Cogent is my advice. Calculation of the spacers length is a PIA. Pre-cut makes sense and then adjust preload with the adjusters to suit your weight and desired handling characteristics.

With good suspension straight from the factory the DL650 would rival the Euro800 bikes and be a bigger seller than they are now.

It is frustrating but every Suzuki I have ever bought ( 5 so far) all needed suspension work to make them handle safely and with predictable braking performance.

It is not good enough to assume that the average rider is 60 Kg ( 140 lb??? I am guessing) and rides on smooth city streets. We are heavier and we have to cope with rough surfaces. I am not huge ( 80 kg.) but I have needed stiffer springs in each Suzuki and valving changes to match. New buyers should allow $1000-1500 in their budget to get the suspension sorted when comparing costs of a Suzuki to a Euro bike.

The alternative solution is to never ride a bike with better suspension and ride in blissfull ignorance of what it could feel like. The DL is OK in smooth-ish city streets
which is what it is built for, but not what they are marketing it as though.

Don't get me wrong I think the DL650 Glee is a great fun motorcycle, but it could be so much better for a few $100 worth of changed parts at factory level. :furious:

#6 ·
Agree with xrman. I just installed the cogent ddc and an Elka shock. I'm still waiting for the last of the ice to leave the streets before I can test it.

The stock suspension is just unacceptable. I could live with discomfort if that's all it was, but the poor handling on anything other than smooth roads really diminishes the experience.

I hope I get the improvement I want with these upgrades.

#7 ·
Update after a 2500km road trip through northern Canada to Vancouver Island.

The suspension, front and back, is much improved from stock. I won't say it's brilliant (not good enough for Ryan Villopoto) but I would do both mods again.

I've made this same trip twice before with the stock suspension. This time I was noticeably quicker on the highway, especially on fast sweepers. Where frost heaves, potholes, bumps used to throw me off line I can now hold my line because the suspension is more compliant.

On the few sections of gravel road that used to want to shake me to pieces I can now feel good road contact rather than that skating, shaking feel I used to have.

As was said earlier, the bikes should come this way from the factory. For a few hundred bucks over the current MSRP you'd have a MUCH more useful, enjoyable experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.