StromTrooper banner

New Adventure, Dead Battery

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ASublimeDay 
#1 ·
This is both happy and sad:

I got a 0 miles 2013 Glee Adventure, which I absolutely love. I traded UP Up UP from a Shadow RS 750 (I told my wife I really didn't have a motorcycle before the Glee, thats how big the difference is).

Again, I love the bike butttt..

I had a dead battery on days 2 and 3. I engaged the parking lock mode, which I now know leaves the taillights on and drains the battery. I got a jump (not from a car) and rode home about 30 miles. When I got home, I let the bike sit for a bit and then started it again, to make sure the battery was sufficiently re-charged.

Day 3, it was dead again in the morning. I ordered an overnight slow-charger that plugs into the wall. I will leave the battery to fully charge tonight and if I still have problems, I'll bring it into the dealer for an industrial charge.

My question is this: I have a 90 watt jacket, pants, and gloves, all heated, plus a 12V hookup currently pulling off of the battery. I plan to add a 10 pack of LED light pods. Am I over-stressing the battery?

Thanks guys! I'm happy to join the Stromtrooper ranks :yesnod:

See less See more
#2 ·
Install a voltmeter. 12.6-12.8V is about break even. Less is discharging and more is charging. Your load of heated gear is probably right around the maximum but I doubt you'd run at full heat all the time. Figure less than 145W will be available at running rpm and less at idle. Basic V-Strom Wiring 101
What is the draw on that 12V hookup though? Running a battery completely dead can affect its ability to hold a charge.

#3 ·
Install a voltmeter. 12.6-12.8V is about break even. Less is discharging and more is charging. Your load of heated gear is probably right around the maximum but I doubt you'd run at full heat all the time. Figure less than 145W will be available at running rpm and less at idle. Basic V-Strom Wiring 101[/url]
What is the draw on that 12V hookup though? Running a battery completely dead can affect its ability to hold a charge.
I'll give the voltmeter a try, thanks!

Not sure on the 12V, I pulled it off of my old bike (previous owner install).

Does that mean I'll need a new battery, or will just have to keep an eye on it?

#4 ·
Have the battery load tested. Many auto parts stores do it for free. If it fails, it will need to be replaced.

#7 ·
I always turn the key right around till the parkers are on then turn it back one click.

It works for me but I carry one of those mini jumper packs under the seat just in case.

#8 ·
I was at the International motorcycle show today in Chicago and purchased a Wistler jump and go portable jump start and power supply for $70.00. It's a small lithium battery back that can jump start your bike and takes up very little room. You can charge up electrical devices too like a phone or mp3 player. Really didnt need it but have it for when I really need it!

#9 ·
I got a jump (not from a car) and rode home about 30 miles. When I got home, I let the bike sit for a bit and then started it again, to make sure the battery was sufficiently re-charged.
30 miles is nowhere near enuf to recharge a dead battery, enuf for an immediate restart with warm oil and warm combustion chamber, but not enuf for a cold start

it is infact almost impossible to recharge a dead battery with a motorcycle alternator, even after riding a full tank of gas don't count on it being recharged

only reliable way is to hook it to a battery tender overnite

#12 ·
No that is not possible, the batteries are designed to give a quick squirt of power not a prolonged effort.

These mini jump starters rely on a very quick chemical reaction to get the power to start, if that reaction is extended the battery can go into melt down, they become hot and dangerous, that is the reason the instructions say to start the car or bike then remove the jumper pack straight away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.