StromTrooper banner

Front Brakes Squeaking

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  steve tech 
G
#1 ·
My bike is an '04 with only around 1350 miles on it, but my front brakes are squeaking when I come to a stop. It's not TOO bad, but I just feel like it shouldn't be happening.

I did check the wear on the pads, and according to my inspection, they're completely fine.

Could it just be some brake dust or something minor like that?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Zady,

It could very easily be brake dust. Try cleaning the rotor and caliper area and see if that makes a difference. In some cases the pads can get glazed from heavy use, which can cause squeaking. To check for glazing, you would need to remove the caliper and look at the pads. A fine sandpaper can be used to slightly rough up the pad surface if needed. It all depends on what you are comfortable performing on the bike. These two things are very easy, but if you were experiencing other symptoms, like vibration when you brake, then there would be more to it then dust or glazing. Try the cleaning first and go from there. A high pressure water hose often will do the trick.

#3 ·
Zady, here is another approach but I might get flamed for it. Years ago on dirt bikes when the brakes got munged up with mud and yuk we would lightly sandblast the linings and they came out like new. Ride On.

#5 ·
WD40 ??? Not my idea of a penny tech solution to anything that requires friction to save your life. Like adding gas to a fire to make it go out. WD40 may be a good cleaner BUT !

G
#6 ·
stlrmike said:
Zady,

It could very easily be brake dust. Try cleaning the rotor and caliper area and see if that makes a difference. In some cases the pads can get glazed from heavy use, which can cause squeaking. To check for glazing, you would need to remove the caliper and look at the pads. A fine sandpaper can be used to slightly rough up the pad surface if needed. It all depends on what you are comfortable performing on the bike. These two things are very easy, but if you were experiencing other symptoms, like vibration when you brake, then there would be more to it then dust or glazing. Try the cleaning first and go from there. A high pressure water hose often will do the trick.
stlrmike,

No vibration felt. Just the squealing, and I do feel comfortable removing the caliper and looking at the pads, so I'll try that first (using the sandpaper), and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. How exactly do you clean the rotor? Any special solvent, or is it just wiping with a damp sponge?

For Water Warrior:

Thanks for the tip, but I think I will first try the more subtle approach. :wink:

#8 ·
Zady,

Shouldn't need any solvents. I would just use the water hose and a mild cleaner (simple green, car wash solution, etc.). You could use brake cleaner, but be careful spraying it around painted surfaces. If you do use brake cleaner try spraying it on a rag and wiping down the rotors rather than spraying it directly on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.