StromTrooper banner

The Wee is for me but only $5k?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  kargo27 
#1 ·
I came to this site after test riding a 2008 DL 650 with 1700 miles. The bike is only $5000 which makes me wonder why. I was told it was brought new at the local Suzuki dealer then the owner traded to a used bike dealer for a larger 1200. The used bike dealer said the original owner weighed 280 and the original sales person sold the guy the wrong bike.
The bike looks great. Seems to run and ride great. Since I'm use to a silky smoth V-4 and boxer-6, I'm not exactly sure what to expect (normal noise, vibrations) from a twin. Any comments on price and what to look for?

#2 · (Edited)
First, don't pay much attention to what anybody employed at the dealership says about the bike, they need to sell the bike.

I get the impression that you think the bike is priced too low and you may be uneasy about buying such a new bike at such a deep discount.

Well, the DL650 new is a pretty good value to begin with. A used one which may have been traded in on a more profitable bike in a soft economy near the tail end of riding season may be a great value.

Get it checked out by an independent shop if you're uneasy.

#3 ·
Oops,

You're in Florida, there is no riding season, it's either riding season or too-damn-hot-to ride-in-the-afternoon-season.

And 280 pounds is not too big for this bike.

#6 ·
And 280 pounds is not too big for this bike.
Big time +1.....

With the wife and I doing 2-Up, Givi bags loaded (450 lbs), climbing over 10k-12k passes in Colorado....the DL650 just gets it done. I have ZERO power complaints with the WeeStrom. Besides, I weight 250lbs and I have had my WeeStrom up to 126 mph on the dial. That is not a lack of power.

#4 ·
Heck, I pu tmore weight on mine than that when I load up to go flaggin at the track for a weekend. I'm 250 these days, along with 30 lbs of camping gear and my full riding gear. Heck, the wife (200 lbs) and myself rode from Charlottesville, VA to Luray last weekend, no problems. I wsa running a gear lower going up the mountain, but that was in part to keep things smoother for her (less need to downshift, which she isn't fond of).

#5 ·
ShortyK...

I used to own 2000 Valkyrie Tourer, and also own various Honda inline 4's. The V-Strom is quite unique compared to these bikes, but in a very good way. It won't be as silky smooth as the H6, but it isn't rough either.

The Valkyrie has it's share of quirks (transmission whine at the top of the list), so nothing is perfect. I think you'll really enjoy it.

As for the price... it's an inexpensive motorcycle used because it's an inexpensive motorcycle new. Would anyone buy a used one with 1700 miles if it was only $800 cheaper than a brand new one?

-Russ

#9 · (Edited)
I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just picked up a 2008 DL650 yesterday in flawless condition, 2700 miles, and paid $5,700 for it, no farkles.

I checked my local dealers yesterday and none had a Wee or Vee in stock except for one who'd just got an 09 in and it was in their warehouse. He wouldn't take less than $8050.00 OTD.

So, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area they're hard to come by. I did about as well as I could have done given my situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.