StromTrooper banner

How many of you change your own tires?

5K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Johnny Bravo 
#1 ·
Just curious, do many of you change and balance your own tires? I've been looking at balancing stands, tire irons, wheel weights, and bead busters. I have confidence in my ability to do the job but I wonder if the outlay in cost for all the necessary equipment would ever pay for itself. Your thoughts?

#2 ·
tire change

I change my own. I built a homemade changer out of a 15 inch car wheel. Bead breaker from 2x4s hooked to wall stud. I got the instructions off the web. I bought a mojo lever which helped a lot. I will continue to change my own for now. The first time using tire irons with wheel on the ground was not fun, I would not do that again. I got a few prices on having it done, and all of them were at least twice that of buying the tires and doing it myself. That was just two much for me. I have had good luck with Dyna Beads for balancing.

#3 · (Edited)
I change my own, and recouped my investment several times over with the first tire change.

Contrary to what many believe, you don't need to spend $800 on a No-Mar. In fact, you don't need a tire changing "machine" of any sort.

Here's the list of materials:
- Valve core tool (a buck or two)
- Valve installation tool ($6 at Napa)
- 412 tire valves are a buck each at Napa.
- Two small and one long tire iron (I think a nice Motion Pro set is around $30)
- a 14" car rim from a junkyard ($5)
- A piece of heater hose -- split it with a utility knife and put it around the car rim. Maybe $5 if you have to buy it.
- A two foot length of 1/2" all-thread, and a few washers and nuts. About $10 at the local Meanards, I think.
- A jug of RuGlyde tire mounting lube from Napa. Pretty much a lifetime supply for $15.
- Several squares of plastic as rim guards, cut from old milk jugs or shampoo bottles. Free with a little trash diving.
- A creative arrangement of all-thread, 2X4s, and my workbench to create a bead breaking lever. Maybe $10 if you don't have lumber and such lying around.
- I made a balancer out of a couple of old jack stands and some skate bearings I had lying around. There are several ways to balance your tires free, or you can spend a pile of cash on a Marc Parnes balancer. Either works just as well.
- Stick-on wheel weights: $5 and up, depending on what you get.

Here's the guide I used to learn how to change and balance my own tires using the above materials:
Guide To Changing Motorcycle Tires

Honestly, after gaining a good bit of experience, I can have two tires changed using levers while the No-Mar user is still futzing around with those incredibly lame rim clamps. The rim clamps are the one serious weakness in the whole expensive tire changing machine thing, especially when you have a bike with two different rim diameters as on a V-Strom.

Changing your own tires is obviously a great way to save money (you can order your tires fresher and cheaper), but more importantly it's also the best way to ensure that this critical job is done correctly.

You're the one riding the thing, so it's your ass on the line. You're the only one who will take the time to make sure the beads are clean, the rims aren't damaged, and to check the bearings.

With a good static balancer setup and a little time, you can actually balance wheels far more accurately than a stoned teenage tire monkey and a fancy electronic gizmo.

Just a warning -- any time the topic of tire balancing comes up, a red light goes on at the Church of the Holy Round Dynabead HQ, and an urgent alert is dispatched to the legions of Dynabeadian True Believers worldwide. So what I'm saying is that the Dynabeads zealots will be all over this thread shortly to lay some o' that beady religion on you.

If you think they work, I'm happy for you, really; ride fast, have fun, and enjoy that beautiful beady feeling. None for me, thanks -- they're a messy pain in the ass when changing tires.

#5 ·
I struggled with the whole value/return on investment question back in the nineties when I was looking at buying a static balancer. I was using a 25gal grease bucket with split air hose around the rim to mount/de-mount tires and wanted a balancer.

Spent over one hundred dollars on a balancer, with five different size "axles" and some wheel weights. I still use that balancer today, and have changed many many tires over the years.

The grease can eventually collapsed from over use and, again, after much thought I purchased a No-mar. It was a wonderful upgrade and I have more than recoup'd the cost over the years. Plus, as I have gotten older, I have less wear and tear on my body not having to fight with those tire irons, and work on the floor.

I figure by buying tires online, and mounting myself, I save about 40-80 dollars a tire, everytime I change one. I generally use two sets a year and have two bikes. It adds up!

#7 ·
I've changed mine (scooter and Wee) for some time. Last time, a combo of Harbor Freight mini changer and no-scuff tire tool took a lot of the sweat and cursing out of the procedure - a piece of cake. Will have to modify the changer for the front scooter tire next time - axle too small, but should be no big deal. Ultra seal for balance.

I wouldn't inflict the mess of Ultraseal on a shop tech, and doing it myself affords me the opportunity to clean the rim really well.

Last change, though, the scooter tires were hell to get the bead to seat. Took five techs and an air cannon at the local tire store to get it done - bead crimped probably for packing straps. They did it for free, though. I brought them a dozen gourmet donuts in appreciation.

#8 ·
To help seat the bead, put a ratcheting tie down strap around the circumference of the tire. Cinch it down, that presses the bead against the rim, it holds air, and eventually pops into place. Lube, of course, both the bead and the rim. I had to do the same thing on a hand truck tire when I had nothing but a foot operated tire pump--it worked.

In any case, the local shop charges $26 for a carry-in for the tire change and spin balancing.

#9 ·
I use a HF tire changer with the motorcycle tire adapter. If you install these: Mojoblocks and use a mojolever or no-mar lever, you can do it without a scratch. You can also cut up old gallon oil containers to use as insulators between the rim, changer jaws and tools.

The trick to mounting tires is to make sure the side opposite the mounting tool has both sides of the bead towards the center of the rim. I tried a ratcheting tie down once but it didn't work for me-- training issue I suppose. If both beads are away from seat area on the opposite side, you should be able to use a 12" lever. 3' levers can damage the bead wire and tear the bead surface. I use a 3' lever, but I'm careful with the amount of force applied.

#13 ·
ditto!

Old school. No tire machines, no bead breakers.

I'm a glutton for punishment.

I did by a No Mar tire balancer back when they were a bit cheaper.

#14 ·
When I was a young man I used to " bust tires" on semi's, bobtail trucks and fork lifts for a big lumber company. You had to break the bead by swinging a big sledgehammer that had a curved wedge on one end. Of course I didn't care much about not marring the rims! Haha! I really would like to change my own tires, I am a cheapskate at heart and I have seen some good ideas here, I especially like the idea of building this stuff myself.

#16 ·
When I was a young man I used to " bust tires" on semi's, bobtail trucks and fork lifts for a big lumber company. You had to break the bead by swinging a big sledgehammer that had a curved wedge on one end. Of course I didn't care much about not marring the rims! Haha! I really would like to change my own tires, I am a cheapskate at heart and I have seen some good ideas here, I especially like the idea of building this stuff myself.

#18 ·
I change my onw using the HF special! Before I change tribes again, I will pick up some Mojo Blocks and a Mojo bar. I think with those additions I will have a pretty stout tire change setup.

:)

#25 ·
Local shop only charges me $14 per wheel/tire to mount/balance one, but that local shop just moved a little further away so now they are 18.2 miles away from me. I removed the rear wheel a few days ago and had to wait 3-4 days before I had a chance to run by the shop to have them do the tire. I also recently had a conversation with a guy at work who uses the HF combination along with the Mojo blocks and bar. So I ordered the HF setup along with some stick-on wheel weights and once I get the HF stuff I will order the Mojo blocks and bar. Apparently there are 3 versions of the HF setup and depending on which one you get from HF will dictate which of the Mojo blocks you need to get. From the Mojo Blocks webpage:
"You sell three different styles of Mojoblocks. How do I know which ones I need?

To my knowledge, there are three different jaw styles on Harbor Freight tire changers. If you have not already purchased your Harbor Freight tire changer, I recommend doing so before you buy the Mojoblocks."
So... soon I should be changing my own tires. I normally have about 3 tires per year changed out so maybe $60 per year is what I'm paying including gas to get to the shop and back. The stuff I'm ordering is going to total up to about $260 before it's over with. So it should all pay for itself in 5 years, plus I think it'll be nice having the equipment here. Oh, and I should also be able to do car/truck tires with the equipment so hopefully it will all pay for itself in a couple of years. :fineprint:

#19 ·
Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle adapter works as a base for $80. Add a Mojolever, Mojoblocks, at least two large Motion Pro tire levers, a ratchet strap, some rubber inner tube to go around the Mojoblocks, Harbor Freight balance stand and wheel weights and your still going to have to learn how to use it. But, the set up works well. :)

I think I have less than $300 in my whole set up and its far better than spending money at dealers IMO. Its not for a weak person though, many tires take substantial effort to mount. Dismounting is easy with my HF set up, but some tires like a 150 Tourance take a good bit of effort to get that first bead on. Then that last couple inches with the Mojolever takes some staining with stiff tires. But, with a good tire lube and technique the effort is reasonable to me. I've learned that lube is very important, I was a dish soap guy for years till I realized how much better the tire lubes are.

It just takes practice, AND its a good idea to watch an experienced person or have them direct your first try at it. Technique is very important for making the job painless. It runs me around $100 extra in labor and tire cost for a dealer tire change, so the HF set up pays for itself in three tires. Well worth the effort to me.

#20 ·
I wanted the experience so I changed my front (Anankee III) using a motion pro bead breaker and a borrowed spoon. Found that Pledge makes a pretty good lube. Scratched the hell out of the rim but nothing a black paint stick didn't fix. The stiff sidewalls are a bitch to lever off and on. I won't do that again. Just recently made friends with a guy that has a No Mar setup and all it costs is a bottle of wine and an hour or two BS'ing in his garage, heavy on the BS time.

#21 ·
Based on another thread, I bought a set of Stubbys levers, which are super hard plastic. No rim protectors needed. They were about $45 for a set of two. Borrowed a friend's static balancer and some HF weights and I was good to go. Did the rear only so far on an old casing on a piece of plywood on the floor. It was work, but not too much considering it was my first one. Hardest part was breaking the bead with a C clamp.

#23 ·
I use two 4' long 4x4 wood posts to put the wheel on and have 2 short and 2 long tire irons w/rim protectors made out of old garden hose with a plastic wedge bead breaker for tough beads. Dish soap and water in a spray bottle makes the tire slide on and off easier and if you just keep the opposite side of the bead you are working on centered in the deepest or center part of the wheel its not hard, take small bites. Use stick on weights and static balance using a leveled long 1/2" bolt as the axle and rapidly tap the axle with a rubber mallet to break any friction freeing the tire to rotate by its own weight, this I learned from an old road racer and nothing I know of is as good. In the time it takes to drive to a dealer and back you can have the job done.

#24 ·
For lube, I hit the local grocery store and buy a can of the generic vegetable oil/corn oil spray. Works great, and no residual liquid inside of the tire carcass.

I have an old Coats 220 that I bought from a local tire business that was upgrading, but it's overkill for the amount I use it. It is kind'a comforting when you DIY, knowing that you've done the job right, cleaned the bead area, and balanced the tire to within a gnat's a$$.

#29 ·
I've always felt that any tool I've purchased, has paid back more than its cost. Just the inconvenience of lugging the bike, wheel, etc. to the shop and having to wait some period of time to return and pick it up and put up with their nonsense, is more than worth the expense.
I've come close to buying a tire machine at Bike Week more then once. Even with owning four bikes, and changing four or five tires a year, I haven't take the leap yet.
The space a machine takes up is too much, to squeeze in between my small herd.
The Motion Pro bead braking tool is one of the best tire tools produced. Breaking the bead, is the tuff part of tire changing to me. The MP bead buster, makes it easy(with experience), if a machine isn't in your possession.
Take into account that labor cost, will continue to rise and it's more fuel for one to learn to do basic maintenance chores.

#30 ·
Well, after pricing a set of OEM replacement tires from my local dealer, mounted, balanced and out the door. I came up with $130 difference over the cost of just a set of tires that I found on line. That would buy me tire irons, a pretty nice wheel balancer, assorted lead weights, a whole bag full of rubber tire valves, valve core tools, and a valve installation tool, with change left over. Another $60 and I could get a pretty nice bead buster. I'll think about that one. But I have pretty much decided I'm going to do it myself. The VERY FIRST tire change will pay for the tools, plus I would enjoy the process. I'm going to start collecting tools. When I get it all put together and buy some tires I'll post some pictures. Thanks for all the input. :hurray:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.