StromTrooper banner

I got a new Gel Seat yesterday

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  maydaymike 
#1 ·
I ordered the Suzuki Gel Seat from Oneida on July 8 and received it July 15 (from New York to Western Ohio). With only about 75 miles sitting on it, I can say that I'm pretty happy with the purchase. $144.99 + $20shipping.

My personal issue with the stock 650 seat is it's shape. It is arched side-to-side and curved (concave?) front to back. If I scoot back, I slide forward and get a wedgie. If I scoot forward I mash my stuff. In the "center" all of my weight is concentrated on the boniest part of my inner pelvis and is just plain uncomfortable. I have ridden 8500 miles on the stock seat, so it surely isn't a break-in issue.

The great thing about the gel seat is that it's shape is noticeably different. It has a definite flat area in the center, is not nearly so sloped toward the front, and has a visibly sharper pitch up in the back (of the driver's seat area). Instead of arching side-to-side, it seems to be slightly raised at the edges and then the center is flat, if not slightly lower than the edges. This makes it harder for my feet to touch the ground when I'm stopped, but makes it way more comfortable when my feet are on the pegs.

Overall the seat is taller than the stock 650 (I can see over my windshield a tad better). I don't have very long legs, and had already lowered the bike 1". I'm back to tip-toeing when stopped. I'm okay with the trade-off.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just keep the sun off it or it will cook your stuff.

#3 ·
Yup, what GW says. A pal of mine bought a gel seat for his cruizer and darn near cooked his "goods". He now has to carry a sheepskin piece to cover the seat. The gel holds heat for hours.

Cheers!

#4 ·
I have one, and while it's not as bad as I expected, the gel is quite warm when left sitting in the sun all day.

I really believe the QC has gotten better on these seats. Mine looks quite professionally done; looks like a custom seat, none of the loose/wrinkled covers others have experienced.. So far, so good!

#5 ·
How does the shape of the gel seat compare with a 07 1000 seat ??

1985 Kawasaki hardtail chopper
1990 Honda CR125 woods weapon
1992 Suzuki 750 Katana
2001 Yamaha TTR 225
2004 Honda CR125
2007 Vstrom 1000
“ I REFUSE TO TIPTOE THRU LIFE ONLY TO ARRIVE AT DEATH SAFELY “

#6 ·
1000 seat shape vs. 650 seat shape

After I saw the difference in shape of the gel seat, I wondered if the problem I have is specific to the stock 650 seat's contour. Not that I'd save much by getting a stock 1000 seat instead, but it's an interesting question.

I have an Alaskan butt-pad. I had it on the old seat and didn't attach it to the new one until you guys reminded me about the heat. It has been pretty hot in Ohio this week.

I'm slowly running out of things to buy for the bike. I still want highway pegs (I have the pat walsh guard), running lights and MAYBE a throttle lock. My wrist gets cramped on long freeway rides.

#7 ·
After I saw the difference in shape of the gel seat, I wondered if the problem I have is specific to the stock 650 seat's contour. Not that I'd save much by getting a stock 1000 seat instead, but it's an interesting question.
I had the exact same issue on the 1000 seat so I think it's a common shape between the 2 models. The gel seat is a LOT more spacious for sliding fore and aft.

I used to roll my eyes at people complaining about the heat in the gel pad until I left my bike uncovered in the AZ sun for about an hour. When I got back on the heat slowly built until I thought I was going to have blisters. I try to cover it now when it's out but sometimes it still gets me, just not as bad.

#8 ·
My gel seat should be here tomorrow. Does anyone know from experience if a wood bead cover provides enough ventilation to prevent the "gel burn"?

#9 ·
I put my new gel seat on tonight and went for a short ride. Somebody on the forum called it a 'poor man's Corbin' , and I agree! It is much flatter and firmer, and its not scooped out in the front like the stock seat. It feels a lot like the well broken in Corbin on my Pacific Coast. Worth every penny of the $170 shipped that I payed for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.