StromTrooper banner

going to buy...

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kicktheball 
#1 ·
VStrom Noob here - So I test drove a 2007 650 w/ 107,000 miles yesterday. It pulled hard - especially above 5000 rpm! Wow - it really felt good up there! Was easy to do figure 8s in the parking lot, and felt good at 80 mph.

There is another one that is a 2004 with under 30,000 mi. It wasn't ready to be ridden as it was just taken on on trade. They both have hard panniers and top case. They are within $500-600 of each other. I hope to get out on this one either today or tomorrow.

My questions are really quite basic: is there a huge difference between the carb and the FI models? All other things being similar, should I get a more recent model year, with 3x the mileage? Or the older one, with less mileage. I can't tell you how nervous I am even *thinking* of buying a bike with 6 figures on the ODO. However, my Subaru Forester I bought with 167,000 and I have 240,000 on it now.

Also - anything in particular I should keep a careful eye on?

Been riding a 1981 Yam XS650 Special for years. I also have a Kymco People 150. Wanted something that girl and I could "get away" for a weekend on, and if we saw a gravel or mud road (lots in southern OH and Northern KY), I wouldn't feel totally out of my element.

Thanks in Advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
No Strom has carbs. They are all fuel injected going back to the first 2002 DL1000. High mileage bikes need a good service history to be good buys. The engines last a very long time if properly cared for but other stuff, especially bearings in the suspension, get forgotten. See if bearings have been cleaned and lubed or replaced.

I would rather have a 100,000 mile bike that has been used daily and has had regular maintenance than a 30,000 mile bike that has been sitting under a tarp in the back of a garage for the last four years.

Also, see if the 2007 has ABS brakes. That would mean a lot to me.

#4 ·
I finally got to test drive the 2004 today - and I bring it home tomorrow. It was a little more than I wanted to spend - but it's ready to take a trip now: skid plate, top case, side bags, etc. So I don't have to spend a boatload in accessories.

Here it is:

Attachments

#7 ·
There is a blue wee club?
:confused:

really?

or is that just a noobie practical joke?

Yep - picked it up today and promptly put 75 miles on it! It's cold and windy - but sunny! I need to make an adjustment to the top case fore/aft position before sweetie can ride, but removing it was easy enough for today. I hate like heck that I have to mow the lawn now. Fun's over for the day.

#9 ·
love the stickers, too! They were going to remove them. I said "don't you dare!"
I think is a karma enhancer.

Rain for the next two days, but warmer - back into the 70s!
:hurray:

#11 ·
Thanks for saying "hey" Brian!
I'm just down Schrock towards Worthington from you.

I'll be sure and keep my eyes open for you.

sunny right now... I hear the call of the V-Strom: weeeeeeeee!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.