StromTrooper banner

Short Notice: Olympic National Park Aug 22-23-24

991 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  WeeMcD 
#1 ·
I rarely post rides like this; I've had trouble finding people I actually want to ride with, but I've found that V-Strom people seem to be largely the laid-back types I like. :)

I'm heading up this weekend (from Salem, OR) to do a loop around Olympic National Park using a track provided by an ADVrider inmate who says the trip is about 70% dirt. His group of 12 is doing it over Labor Day Weekend (ugh, bad idea, IMO). I have this Friday off so I figured I'd leave either late Thurs afternoon or first thing Friday morning, and get back late Sunday.

If anybody wants to join me, reply here or PM me. I'm planning on camping the whole time... the tentative plan is to run clockwise around the park. Maybe even do a little hiking if the notion strikes and my right knee is feeling better.

Rob

#2 ·
I would have loved to give dirt a try on my bike while riding with some folks with experience! But Unfortunately that weekend is full booked! Next time!

#3 ·
Sounds like a good ride.

Here are some siteseeing stops with some short hikes/walks to consider if you haven't been here before...
Not sure how this works with your 70% dirt route...

Clockwise...
Hoh Rain Forest. Can do a walk thru big mossy maples.
Mora Beach.
Cape Flattery - NW corner of the state/US. Walk out the trail to the point.
Sol Duc Hot Springs. About a mile walk to the waterfall.
Marymare falls - about a mile walk.
Some folks will say ride up to Hurricane Ridge - short hike/trail walks up there too.
You'll probably pick up some dirt roads outside Sequim and down to Quilcene. But if not a ride out to Port Townsend is nice. Can check out a wide variety of boats at the marina.
At the south end of the Hood Canal can take a side trip up the Skokomish River to see the High Steel Bridge. There's a camp ground at Browns Creek not far from the bridge.

#4 ·
My Wife and I just did an Olympic Peninsula ride last weekend on our DRs. We bought the GripTwister Tours package and used it for our ride. It was well worth the $50. Enjoy your ride. I hope it is as great as ours was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.