StromTrooper banner

Suzuki DL650 Speedometer.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  graham downunder 
#1 ·
I need to replace my speedometer on my Australian model Wee strom to comply with british law of must have MPH on clock. There are two options as far as I know, which are new speedo or chip the speedo to indicate MPH instead of KPH, and remove KPH for MPH on the clock face. Any other ideas??
Plus my bike doesnt have parking lights as standard???????
Which are also required. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

#2 ·
I bought a recalibrated speedo fface or my Wee and have the stock face (which has both MPH and KPH). It's in perfect condition and is easily swapped out. I paid $40 plus shipping for the new one and would be willing to let my stock one go for the same. Let me know if you're interested.

#3 ·
Don't know the laws, but would adding MPH markings in the proper spots be legit? Seems like you could make up a pretty decent secondary scale and have it nicely printed up on some transparent film. Maybe Raceratb would be able to print up a new face for you: http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/speedoface.htm. You could probably just print appropriate numbers on black sticker stock and cut it out. Adjust for your level of tolerance of hacky solutions.

This would save having to rechip the speedo.

Or you could just put a "MPH" sticker over the "KPH" label, do they actually check that it reads right? Oh wait that would be illegal, you should definitely not do that.

#4 ·
I think the only difference between a KPH and MPH speedometer is just the face. No chipping should be necessary. The link to raceratb should fix that problem for you. The swap is pretty easy.
No parking lights? The parking lights on my Canadian version are turned on by the key at the park position. (one past the off position)

#5 ·
Speedo face plate will work ,the odometer will still be in Kilometres
Parking light position is standard on Australian model ,it's just past the the lock position. It only brings the tail light on not a light at the front.You can always wire the back light and a headlight to a switch then direct to the battery ,when you have rego remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.