StromTrooper banner

Givi Crash Bar Bags

13K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  RCinNC 
#1 · (Edited)
After seeing a couple threads on crash bar bags, I decided to contact Robert at BlackiBags to see if he was interested in making a set for Givi bars. He was more than willing, but since he didn’t have a V-Strom with Givi bars available, I helped him with the process. We went through a couple iterations of exchanging measurements and pictures with templates, to a set of bags arriving at my door a few weeks later.

Robert was great to work with, and I think the bags are of great quality. Waterproof zippers and the reflective piping are a couple things I really like about the bags.

They’re not huge, but then again, I really don’t want big bags up there to start with. These are just enough for a few odds & ends, like my Frogg Toggs, overgloves, my half cover, etc. I don’t plan to put anything heavy or breakable in there, but it’s a nice to have a place for a few things that take up space that I’m not real concerned about in the event of a fall, etc.

I had the bags on the bars for my commute to work, and didn't even notice them. I think they're low enough that they shouldn't be a factor for buffeting, but as always, YMMV. And although I don't have highway pegs, from what I can tell, they shouldn't get in the way of these either.

Overall I give Robert :thumbup: on these bags.

The bags arrived in a professionally done package:

Keep in mind that the bags I took pictures of here are completely empty - I should have stuffed a few things in them before taking pictures, so they would “fill out” a little better.

Also, I already realize that the big, vacant space on the side is perfect for a Stromtrooper patch. :thumbsup:

Besides being very useful and effective, I think the reflective piping really looks great on my bike, also matches the reflective rim tape. I've gone over the bars once before (on another bike), so these little things to help cagers see you are a nice feature.

There has been some discussion of whether the bags will allow sufficient airflow from the radiator, and personally I don’t think there will be any issue with this at all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Another thing I forgot to mention, is that one other thing I like (and appreciate) about the bags is that they don't have some huge (annoying) logo printed across them. I don't buy gear as advertisements. A logo or something small is fine, but some vendors get carried away, IMO.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure you can order a set. You might check out this thread that discusses exactly those bars. I don't know how much difference there is between those bars on the Wee vs Wee2.

Also, as a heads-up, he told me he's going riding for a few days now, so he might be out of pocket over the holiday weekend.

#5 ·
Nice looking bags. :thumbup:

Per mgmt, I think I'm allowed to answer direct questions, but not advertise in any way, until I become a sponsor. Perhaps I can soon. I can confirm I made them, I think.

I just got back from a true adventure weekend. Weather was dicey at best for the first night. If you can forgive the orange injection, I'll post a picture.

Here's to a well equipped bike.

#7 ·
Just confirm those are the older Givi crash bars, TN532? Not the newer crash bars, TN3101?

And did you just send in measurements to get them made?

The bags look great and it is always nice to have some more storage.

Thank you.

Yes, these are the TN532 bars. But from what I've seen, the newer 3101s are similar except for an additional support bar, and these bags don't go down into that area.

Robert has the templates now for these, so I think you could just contact him on his website to inquire about placing an order.

#12 ·
I really like that idea about having rain gear in it's own dedicated easy to get to bag on the crash bars. I don't carry rain gear very often, so having it in dedicated bags for me and the Mrs., would allow it to go on and off the bike easily, be super easy to get to when needed, and be stored when not in use in an easy to store/easy to find manner. Very cool idea.

#13 ·
That's all I keep in my bar bags, Rick; the rain gear for me and my passenger. It's always on the bike, so we never have to remember to bring it along. My bags are just surplus converted gas mask bags.

They aren't black any more, though; they Krylon Fusion spray paint just didn't adhere well enough. They're back to glorious OD Green.

#14 ·
Crashbar Bags

I used these on a 2007 Wee by cutting some aluminum (To support the side mounted to the Bar) and slotted it, then clamped with hose clamps. Using cardboard as a template first.

I cannot post links yet so search for "Waterproof Bicycle Tour Rear Panniers,Bike Touring Bags,Heavy Duty,Black,Large"
on ebay.

Attachments

#17 ·
If it helps, as far as an attachment method goes, I used the dual sided Velcro tape that they sell in hardware stores. I sewed strips of it onto the backs of the bags so the tape lines up with the bars on the crash bars, and the the tape is wrapped around the bars. The tape is extremely strong as far as lateral shear strength goes; if you tried to just pull the bag off, you'd probably rip the bag before the tape failed. Yet you can easily peel the tape off to remove the bags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.