StromTrooper banner

Key blanks

17K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  oldsofty 
#1 ·
I usually get a couple extra keys made for any bikes I own. I looked online to see what the part number was for the 2012 DL650. I think it was at MRCycle. It showed the list price for a key blank at $57.92, and discounted to $49.34 at this website. That's beyond stupid, Suzuki. I'll stop by my local locksmith to see if they have the correct blank for this bike. I know it has to be the long style because of the recessed ignition switch. Ron Ayers website used to have the fiche for the 2012 and newer, but now it only shows up to 2011.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I went to my local locksmith and bought a new key and had it cut for the bike, at a whopping $3.41. I'll have to do the same, grind the shoulder down so it'll fit in the ignition switch. It works okay for the seat and fuel tank as it is.

#9 ·
Glees sold in North America do not have an immobilizer chip.

#12 ·
I did the same as some others here did. I went to my local locksmith asked them to match up the key and ground the sides on an angle when I got it home. The locksmith said that the original key is chipped and did not want to cut an un chipped copy. I assured him it was not a chipped key so he cut one and it works great. total cost $3.00

#13 ·
Key Blank for 2014 VStrom 650

My experience:

The problem:

The key mechanism is recessed
in the ignition switch....thus longer blank/key
is needed....

Think I tried a SUZ16 and it was too short...
same with SUZ18....tough the 18 will work
if about a 1/4 inch is ground off upper end of
key...

This blank worked w/o modification:

Suzuki, SZ17R-GTS Shell (just search for it)

How to get ignition switch to work:

Press key all the way end and let it
pop back up (on its own) a bit...then
just gently twist key to right...works every time..

John H.

#17 ·
So I rode to the dealer today to get an extra key made. Usually hide one on the bike and wanted to have it when start to do some work and find a good place to put it. Gave the guy my key....he looks on his screen for awhile....and says 'The blank for that is $60'.
WTF?!?!?!?
I asked him if it came with a free bike....sadly not.
I said I'd 'check around' and left.
I'm seeing a couple Ilco # here, so I'll stop by my locksmith guy and see what he has.
Bike is a '13 if anybody has recent experience or knowledge.

There is NO reason a key blank should cost $60.....just a total ripoff.

#21 ·
I just left the Suzuki dealer with a quote of $60, uncut. Drove straight to Ace Hardware and had one cut on a SUZ18 blank for $3. I had to gring the front corners off the head of the key to get it to go deep enough, but I saved $57.

It works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.