StromTrooper banner

Tried the Motion Pro Bead Breaker last week

6K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Bugzy 
#1 ·
My front tire was getting cupped fairly badly and decided to swap the rear as well. It was a Kenda (the only size a dealer had when my Heidenau K60 belt delamintated on me on the way to Houston. Still had some miles left in them, but wanted to try the Shinko 705's. Ordered a MotionPro Bead Breaker with the tires.

I had the old hammer type wedge bead breaker and man, let me tell you, these worked like a charm.

Deflate the tire, remove the stem and insert the bead breaker.

Press together (didn't require much force) and PRESTO!!! Bead broken. Worked it around and made sure it was broken in 2-3 other places, flipped and did the same on the other side.

Also used the spoon on the other side of the bead breaker to help me along with my normal iron. Worth the money.....did what it was suppose to do.

Speaking of the Shinko's. I like them thus far. More road whine than other tires I have had on, but I really like the tire - and the price is sweet.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool. Before I gave up my GS750, I had worked up enough nerve to do an oil/filter change on it...and had previously done some other minor things (battery replacement/maintenance, lamps, etc.) I have not gotten to the place yet where I think I could do that. For me, right now, that's a "I'm gonna run it over to Racer Cafe and let THEM do that". Once we get back into a house, and I have a real garage, with a place to do work like this, I might consider it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
I've used a very similar technique with three tire irons to break beads many times. Works very well, even on the most stubborn tires.

#4 ·
I got a MPBB about 6 months ago and it's been accepted well into my tool kit.
It's broken all the beads, I've used it on, including the large Harley rims.
I pour some lube all the way around the rim and gently worked it 360 degrees.
Before you know it, pop.
I don't go at tire work like a bull in a China shop, and have gotten to where I'm not tearing up my rims and scratching them. I'll use rim protectors when required.
By the way, I've found Shinko's at Pinwallcycle in Ohio, the cheapest anywhere, with free shipping. They sent 'em FedEx, and were in NJ, in four days.
A front & back 705 for the Glee, $149.

#7 ·
I picked one up at a great price but have not used it yet.. Good to know it works as advertised.

I HAVE used this little jewel with great success. Makes getting the last little bit over the edge a snap.. The leverage is so powerful it will cut the tire if your not careful. Not a deal breaker, just you have to be wary…like scratching your rims. I have used it on very stiff rear Sport touring tires and K60's… piece of cake..

This is the original and where I got mine in a group buy on ADV..From Yurp

Kaurit-Moto

American version for "cheaper" Looks to be the same…

Baja NO PINCH Tire Tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsP6PglNkFE Tool used at about 4:50

#9 ·
Kauritmoto tool

I thought the kauritmoto tool was only for tube tires. Have you used it to change tubeless tires? Did you need an axle adaptor to use it for the vstrom?

I HAVE used this little jewel with great success. Makes getting the last little bit over the edge a snap.. The leverage is so powerful it will cut the tire if your not careful. Not a deal breaker, just you have to be wary…like scratching your rims. I have used it on very stiff rear Sport touring tires and K60's… piece of cake..

This is the original and where I got mine in a group buy on ADV..From Yurp

Kaurit-Moto

American version for "cheaper" Looks to be the same…

Baja NO PINCH Tire Tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsP6PglNkFE Tool used at about 4:50

#8 ·
@Strider1520 - Thanks for trying one of these and doing the write-up w/ pics. :thumbup:

I was leery of buying one since I still have a sour taste in my mouth from buying their Bead Popper. :furious:

Their Bead Breaker, on the other hand, appears to do what it was designed to do, so I guess it's time to buy the big one for the shop and the small one for the tool roll.

#16 ·
I use a bead breaker from Harbor Freight I got it last time I was in the US and think it was less than $20 on sale. Not something you could take with you on a trip but good to have in your garage. It's pretty small and designed for small tires but I've only ever used it on motorcycle tires. Never had a problem with it yet even on my ZX10R with a 190 rear tire and a very small sidewall.

I always balance my tires too. Picked up a Marc Parnes balancer quite a few years ago and use it with a set of axle stands. Precision bearings work awesome. Heavy spot always goes down. Takes about 2 minutes to balance a tire. And remember when installing your tires that most manufactures put a painted dot on the sidewall. This is the light side of the tire and is meant to be installed on the valve stem side.

#18 ·
One of my friends asked me how I managed to balance them so fast because he had the same balancer too. I stopped by his house. He was spinning the wheel and waiting for it to stop :green_lol: I told him he'd be there waiting all day. Even if you just let the tire drop to the heavy spot it can rock back and forth for several minutes. After my wife and I having track bikes and going threw a few sets of tires every weekend you get the hang of it. I just hold the tire in one spot, as soon as I see it dropping to the heavy spot I will rotate it by hand to help find the heavy spot faster. You can tell after balancing many tires how much weight it needs just by how fast it drops to the heavy spot.

#20 ·
For those wanting to get one of the Motion pro tools, I just saw they have two models. So if you want to save a couple bucks but want something more than a "$5 harbor freight C-Clamp" look at their Bead Pro Forged Steel. Not as light to take on the road/trail but $20-ish cheaper and longer too. Listed as "Heavy duty shop version of our innovative BeadPro tire tool". Now on my Amazon Wish list. Guess I better check eBay also before I forget.

Rick

#21 ·
For those wanting to get one of the Motion pro tools, I just saw they have two models.
Yep, they have the 9.6" Forged 7075-T6 aluminum and the 16" steel. I would recommend the more costly aluminum. Amazingly light and non bending, so great for keeping on board. I truly think a lot of riders might do serious tire damage with the long steel ones. I just replaced my 09 Wee's original rear tire, breaking the bead with just the MP Bead Breaker.

#22 ·
I'm riding Shinko 705s on my Wee and never really had an out-of-balance problem. Just put the spot next to the valve stem. I just installed Ride-On and rode 180+ miles today and still very smooth. Didn't really notice any difference.

I do get a little tread-whine right around 30 mph but not at higher speeds.

#23 ·
Here's my high-dollar balancing setup. The bearings are salvaged from inline skates and the rest I had lying around.

Note ingenious substitution of a lug wrench for a tire, wheel, and axle for optimal photo clarity.

#24 ·
BTW to get a better "Dynabead" experience I balance the wheel the conventional way before mounting the tire. This is a one time thing. Balance the wheel, throw in the dynabeads and mount the tire. After that just transfer the dynabeads. EasyPeasy….With this method I have overcome the dreaded cupping of the front tire.. YMMV..

#25 ·
Strider - Thanks for the excellent write-up and pics! I've been eyeing these for a while, but hadn't pulled the trigger yet. Your report and experience has pretty much sealed the deal for me... good on ya, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.