StromTrooper banner

Zox Genessis SVX

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  NordStrom 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've never heard of this brand. That said, do some research on it to make sure that it has metal-on-metal latching parts in the chinbar latching mechanism. Many of the sub-$250 modular helmets have plastic latch parts, which are not likely to do much to hold the chinbar locked in the event of a faceplant when crashing. With the metal latch parts, you at least have a fighting chance to keep some/most/all of your face.

Nolan, Shoei, Schubreth, and a couple others I can't think of right now have metal latch parts in their modulars. I own the Shoei Multitec, it was the only one to fit my melon. I love it with one exception- the lining/padding does not come out for cleaning. Therefore I always were a Sliks helmet liner, I've got three of them, rotating them every couple days and washing as necessary (which in the summer is weekly).

And no, that is not me modeling the liner.

More here, the one shown is about half way down the list-
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/slik/

#3 ·
I have been eyeing the Zox. I must admit that I have mixed feelings on the whole "metal latching" argument on Modulars. All helmets are a compromise of some sort and while the metal latch is certainly a good feature, I think it kind of goes like this.

No helmet sucks (protection wise), Half helmet better, 3/4 better yet, modular w/plastic, still better, modular with metal...maybe better yet, full face...best.

I have two Zeus 508's. Plastic latch modular. One of them took a full head shot (not face on, but side/chin on) into the windshield of a car a few years back. My head, face, etc were unscathed and the latch did not release or was in any way deformed. In a review some years ago, the Zeus did relatively well against a lot of expensive helmets in the tests they performed, but again, they opined that metal latches were better.

To me, if you can afford a $39.95 Zeus 508 (discontinued model on sale on ebay right now), it is better than a 3/4 face helmet. But certainly not as good as $300-400 expensive stuff.

I guess get the helmet you can afford, rather than riding while you wait to afford an expensive helmet. None are perfect protection, but any are better than nothing.

#7 · (Edited)
I just ordered the Zox Nevado graphic from here, $80.00.
http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/9001000/pid/15874
they also have some solid colors. I'll post my opinion later this week when it arrives. But for less than $100, it gets me into a modular, which may have better protection than the 3/4 I wear now.

I bought a Zox Nevado from compacc a couple of weeks ago. When I got it, I realized that the latching mechanism leaves something to be greatly desired. I have a simple test I do with my moduler helmets; I hold it upside down and bang on the bottom of the modulating chin bar, while it's latched onto the helmet to see if it budges. The Zox's chinbar was knocked clean off of the rest of the helmet showing how ineffective its latches are. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the latches are 2 spring loaded pieces of plastic about an inch long and maybe 1/8 an inch thick. There was no hook or anything, they just shoot about a quarter-inch into a dinky plastic slot and that's it. Needless to say, I'm exchanging the helmet.

#6 ·
Modular vs full face helmets is still a hotly debated issue. This model Zox was discussed over at Advrider.com. Most owners said they liked it, and was worth having the modular design, especially when they make frequent stops. Bottom line was nothing is as good as a full face helmet, period. One magazine did some testing, and only one modular helmet rated highly, but also was extremely expensive. You get what you pay for.

Also, this helmet can be had for under $160 here:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/helmets:+modular+&+flip+up/zox_genesis+svs+modular+helmet

#9 · (Edited)
I've had a Zox modular helmet for the past couple of years and have not been very happy with it. The inside plastic lining of the flip up portion of the helmet came unglued fairly early on and it took me three different attempts to reglue it before I found a glue with the right amount of give in it to stand up to the constant flexing that happens when you open and close the flip portion. Changing the visor was a real hassle as well. Lastly, it was almost impossible to latch it without using two hands - one to steady or counterweight the main part of the helmet while the other push the flip portion into place. Whenever I forgot to latch it before taking off, I would have to stop the bike, put it in neutral, and use both hands to latch the flip closed.

I've just switched to the new HJC SyMax II modular. Not too expensive (I've seen it advertised as low as $230), it seals way better than my Zox does, comes with speaker pockets (as opposed to just a hollowed out area in the inner lining), and has an absolutely nifty internal sun visor (separate from the external wind visor) that you can easily flip down with your left hand when you ride into the sun (which, I take it, the Zox Genesis also has). Saves the hassle of stopping to put on sunglasses or a sunglass clip-on. With the HJC, if I forget to latch the flip before putting the bike in motion, I can easily latch it on the fly.

Bear in mind, tho, that all modulars are a bit noisier than a good full-face. However, they are pretty convenient if you wear glasses. Also great for scratching that itch, picking your nose, having a quick drink or snack during a pitstop, or simply leaving your helmet on during brief errands off the bike. So, if you decide that you want a modular for any of these reasons, I recommend that you give this helmet a look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.