StromTrooper banner

650 vs 1000: the definitive thread

572K views 1K replies 510 participants last post by  danger4u2 
#1 ·
Not to be derogatory, it's a curiosity question. I've no doubt the "Wee" Strom is a lot of fun for a little while then I can't help wondering if the "Wish I got the litrebike" question doesn't rear it's head.

The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.

I'm sure as a commuter for day to day use the 650 is a good choice but touring with luggage, even a pillion ......??

To repeat .... a n00b question of curiosity:rolleyes:

Grrrr:)

#2 ·
Well, the question I have is why the heck would anyone need a DL1000 when the 650 can do it all? My 650 does touring, two-up and everything else.

Its all relative and your thoughts will probably be based on what bike you are riding now.

I have never had the desire to have the 1000.

And how does the saying go..."its more fun to ride a slower bike fast than a fast bike slow"?

#4 · (Edited)
Its all relative and your thoughts will probably be based on what bike you are riding now.

I have never had the desire to have the 1000...
Very true, I've never had the desire to get a litre sportsbike, simply because I can't use a 600 to anywhere near it's actual limit, and suspect my life expectancy would be considerably shortened with another 60+BHP on top of the 100 I already have.

I wouldn't choose to have less powerful bike than now, I think it would really annoy me if I got the 650, like a backwards step ..... in my mind:confused:

And how does the saying go..."its more fun to ride a slower bike fast than a fast bike slow"?
Couldn't agree more, spent a day on a new DL400 and that's a riot to tear around on. Have to concentrate though and do the whole Riverdance thing on the gear lever pretty much constantly ..... something I want to leave behind when I get the Thou

#105 ·
I know two people that own both and prefer the 650. I have the 1000 but was shopping for the 650. I got a deal I couldn't refuse to the 1000 it is. However I thing the 650 has better off idle throttle better traction in the dirt (softer power delivery) and feels every pound lighter.

power chat is not an issue as I own an FJR, and Aprilia MILLE, and a Ducati I am not a power wuss i just think for an Adventure bike the 650 has some distict advantages.

#57 ·
less is more! i plan to spend most of my time off road, away from the super sonic road barges. 30-40 mph is the new 60-70 mph, haven't you heard?

lets not forget that killer mpg, either!

good rides.
Oh, I could not agree more. My best ride last summer was 6 hours and 180 mile of really rural, but paved roads (a bit of non-paved sprinkled in) and since I was all alone I sat in the 40-50mph zone for most of the time. Very relaxing, almost like a good back and neck massage. Then when I was rolling home and hit the main highways, I zipped along at speeds of, well, all you 650 owners know...! Exceeding posted interstate speeds is a complete non-issue. (Oh, you mean when the posted speed limit is 100, they are referring to kph, not mph? I did not know that! So sorry.)

#374 ·
Had three FJRs that go like a rocket, the wee is more fun.
:hurray: Me too, my 06 fjr is for sale and a well maintained 02 DL1000 is wearing the transfered plate. My only regret is that I didn't by a new DL in 06 when i scored the feejer..... the FJR is a great motorbike but the roads I enjoy most are more fun on the strom.
OK then, hello from a new trooper in CT, look forward to learning about my new bike and perhaps attend some of the local ride outs...NICE SITE!

#10 ·
I am not sure as to what the difference truly is, but here is my reasoning for getting the 1000:

I have had 700 and 750 cc bikes, even one 550. The 550, even though it was modified for more HP, didn't have the kick I wanted. Since there is only 100 cc difference between that and the DL650, I had concerns.

The other big concern I had was that the 550, 750, and 700 were way too light under my a$$. It was like riding a BMX bike at really high speeds. I wanted the extra weight under me, although 458 lbs for the 1000 is only 31 lbs heavier than the 650 it is still 31 lbs of vehicle weight. I am not sure how much the Givi bags and trunk weigh, but that adds some there as well. Considering that it is still lighter than the 624 lbs that my other bike hefts around I wanted as similar as possible since I had concerns from other bikes I have owned.

At any rate, I am sure that there might not be any real difference for the average person and that they don't (probably) think in the same fashion as I do, but I am 6'4" tall and weigh 280 lbs. I am not able to ride some bikes just due to my physical size and vehicle needs. Even when I had the smaller bikes I was at 200 - 220 lbs. That might make a difference, maybe not. At any rate, personal preference for me was that bigger engine with more weight.

#16 ·
I have had 700 and 750 cc bikes, even one 550. The 550, even though it was modified for more HP, didn't have the kick I wanted.
Displacement isn't the best gauge of horsepower. A 1200cc Sportster has about the same HP as a DL650.

#11 ·
The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.
The only time I've wanted more out of the 650 was for long days on the freeway. For that I will have an FJR someday. For now, just remember this. When you "spy the exit" and have the engine sitting around 6000 rpm, just before the meat of the powerband, and you crack it open.......guaranteed to put a big sh*tty grin on your face.

#13 ·
650 - 1000 ???

Looking to purchase my first strom. Was thinking of getting a new 08 650. A friend of mine is trying to turn me on to a used 05 1000 with about 4,000 miles on it for $5,000. Really like the black as the other colors dont do much for me. Will the 1000 be too much bike for me? Have previous experience riding but its been awhile. Getting back into the game and need a little direction.

#19 ·
Just get one...

Looking to purchase my first strom. Was thinking of getting a new 08 650. A friend of mine is trying to turn me on to a used 05 1000 with about 4,000 miles on it for $5,000. Really like the black as the other colors dont do much for me. Will the 1000 be too much bike for me? Have previous experience riding but its been awhile. Getting back into the game and need a little direction.
Both bikes are torque monsters. If you're new to riding, you might be better off with the 650. The 1k is one -powerful- beast. I wouldn't recommend one for a new rider. You can get into trouble if you don't have much experience riding a rocket ship.

The price on the 1K sounds pretty good though. Either bike will have WAY enough power for you...

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Thighrod
#14 ·
Not to be derogatory, it's a curiosity question. I've no doubt the "Wee" Strom is a lot of fun for a little while then I can't help wondering if the "Wish I got the litrebike" question doesn't rear it's head.

The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.//
Why only a liter bike? Why not one of the 1800's around?

I rode the DL1000 first and didn't like it. I was convinced on Advrider to try the DL650. With the lighter weight and narrower bars, it felt a lot better to me, so that's what I bought.

The real question is when Suzuki will introduce a DL1000X ABS!

#17 ·
Dear god in heaven, not again!!! ;)
Either is fine for 2-up touring and the freeway. The 650 is lighter, more nimble and has a more balanced feel (to me anyway). The 1000 has more power. It's just a personal preference issue, which do you value more?

#18 ·
Flip a coin...

Two of my last bikes were 1000cc's. Had a '79 Goldwing I drove about a zillion kilometers, and a Concours that I put 18k on last season. I like the power. Hlwever, the 650 really does have plenty of power considering the design of the engine and weight of the machine. People who have them swear by them.

You can't go wrong with either 'strom. They ROCK!!!

For me, it was a personal choice. I like -lots of power- and the 1000 delivers, plain and simple. If I was to get a second bike for around town, I might consider a 650, but unless I win a lottery, the 1k will do nicely.

Now if they'd only get rid of those pesky speed limits on the roads, it'd be perfect...:D

#20 ·
welcome firsttimer. give us a little info. how long has it been since you have ridden? also, what type of riding? commuting, touring, gravel roads? one up...two up? you came to the right place. there's a ton of info here and a lot of experienced riders.

good luck:)

al

05 wee

#21 ·
I actually was set out to get a 650 but the dealer had a used 1000 with only 450 miles on it and was going to have to order the 650. He offered the slightly used 1000 at the same price, and as I do long distance touring using considerable freeway segments from time to time, I reeavualted and got the 1000. As a primary commuter, I do envy the better gas milage from time to time, but overall I'm glad I got the 1000. If I win the lotto I would consider a 650 as a second bike. I love Stroms that much. Maybe a different color?

#87 ·
I was moving off of a Honda Magna 750. I wanted more power...

I had spied V strom years ago and since freeways are ALL I do - I made the leap.

Broke as I was - I decided on the 650. I know I wanted more power but the budget didn't allow it. I had made peace with getting a slower bike.

Dealer only had a 1000. Got it OTD for $8,000 even.

It's been a few months now, and the excitement still hasn't worn off. The power is incredible. The problems that are complained about on this forum are non-existent. The fuel economy @ 80 mph is still exactly 50 mpg. (no luggage, I weigh 150 lbs)

Every once in a while I think to myself. There's a liter-bike in the garage. :mrgreen: The novelty won't go away.

#23 ·
oh dear god, are we really going to do another wee vs vee thread? Use the search

#24 ·
Ok, ok, I'll try to be the nice, objective guy. So, firsttimer, when you do a search, you will most likely see the following opinions:

DL1000 - One hell of a machine
DL650 - One hell of a machine

The subtle differences, based solely on my reading of this and other forums, as I own neither bike:

DL1000 - More power all around, a bit heavier, a bit less nimble, better for 2-up touring and long highway miles, less off-road worthy but still capable.

DL650 - Less power but more than enough for 99% of the owners, a bit lighter, more nimble, still capable of 2-up touring and highway miles, more off-road worthy.

Keep in mind that neither Strom is an off-road bike, though many people have taken their Stroms to hell and back... AND got the T-shirts :mrgreen:

Hope this kinda helps, but yes, do a search :)

#27 ·
Over the last year I've owned a wee for 6 months and a vee for 6 months. It all comes down to personal preference. The wee is stunningly smooth and superior in MPG department. But for my personal preferences the vee is far more fun in every riding category. Does that make the vee better than the wee? For me, yep...for you???? Only you can decide what's best for your style of riding.

#28 ·
I just came off a 225 mile run through the back roads with a bunch of liter+ bikes, and for the first time I can honestly say I could have used the Vee.
Ive had the wee for about a year now, never had any second thoughts until , I went on this highway run with the bigger bikes, at an average speed of 75mph I noticed a need for more displacement for the first time. (not to mention a bigger windshield)

#29 ·
The reasons I chose the Wee over the Vee.

#1. Price $2000 difference

#2 Better MPG

#3 Better for what I use it for, mainly commuting in heavy traffic, and urban off roading 1 up.

Probably has lower insurance rates too. Just guessing.

Now if I could have gotten a Vee for the same $$ like CarbideDude I would have done that too, but I have no regrets buying the Wee.

#382 ·
+1!!! :hurray: And I'd like a mid-70's CB350 like my dad used to have when I was a kid for sentimental reasons (and just putzing around).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.