StromTrooper banner

Seafoam

9K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  PerazziMx14 
#1 ·
After 65,000 trouble-free miles I thought I'd run some Seafoam as a preventative, in case some deposits have built up in the fuel system. After pouring in the appropriate amount for a full tank and running the engine for a few minutes to get the mixture into the system, what have you found best: let it sit for a while (say overnight) and then take a long ride or, take a long ride right after adding the Seafoam? Or does it make no difference?

#2 ·
SeaFoam to the rescue

I had a recalcitrant KLR a couple winters ago. It would run, but stall when you dropped the RPM or tried idling (even when warmed up). The design of the carb jet is an unusual one, a perforated needle with TINY holes along its shaft. Evidently gummed.

I siphoned out all the not-that-old fuel, bought some new, mixed with appropriate amount of the magic juice under discussion, into the tank. Start-up and run an errand or two -- fixed! I was impressed. Usually a Pierre-Bayle-Fan-Club card-carrying member, I am now a believer. A new bottle/can is on my wish list for the next birthday.

I've added some to the Strom, but not having a problem, didn't notice any difference. Your results (like mileage) may vary.

#3 ·
I prefer a product by BG called 44K, but seafoam works, too.
You need to run the tank out. I plan my treatment around that. I'll wait until I know I'm going out for awhile, then add some. Maybe once or twice a year, depending on mileage.
Those that think it's snake oil, I disagree. :fineprint:

#4 · (Edited)
I don't think it's snake oil, but it sure works great for me. If you read the directions, it can also be used in crank case oil. Just before you are going to change oil,dump about half can in crankcase,let run to temp.(no reving) drain oil and replace. Gets any carbon deposits off valves and rings. Works real well for me,jmho. The reason you add Seafoam every once in a while is so you don't have any problems,cleans the deposits out of fuel system.

#5 ·
I use it in my Vstrom, my Vincent, my V6 Accord and my wifes Civic..I told my sister to dump 1/2 can into the tank of her Subaru (I assumed the approx. 16 oz can...) ...she bought a U.S gallon, dumped 1/2 of it in the tank and then called me to say "its quite expensive at $65.00/can".... and, "you're right, it works.."

#7 ·
I am not sure if I ever noticed a difference when using it as a fuel stabilizer in my bikes....then again, I haven't gone more than two months without riding in any season....however, I have used it in engines that have had gummy deposits in the fuel system, and it seems to work well in cleaning up the deposits.

#8 ·
IMHO, I would let it sit for a spell, (overnight) and allow it to soften up any deposits. Then take it for a spin. Somewhere away from traffic, I would run the engine up to red line and allow to coast down a time or three. This would allow the increased vacuum to dislodge any loosened particles.

In my experiences, (mostly with carbureted bikes), the longer Seafoam stays in the system the better it works.

#9 ·
I've used the fuel injector cleaner in the car on occasion just because. I haven't seen and dramatic difference. If you use what is referred to as TOP TIER gas...major suppliers...then the additives are in there already and cleaning as you go.
Most problems occur from the vehicle sitting and the new style gas evaporating and leaving unsightly deposits in small places.
Conversely, a lot of folks have tales of the perceived benefits of it's use.

#19 · (Edited)
+1

I've used Seafoam in some gummed up systems to do general cleanup and system recovery.

The most memorable is a BMW Kl100LT that had been sitting for almost a year without being cranked. The day before I retrieved the bike from a local owner I dosed the fuel with Seafoam. Then the next day I put a battery in it, thumbed the kill switch to kill power, spun the engine to circulate the oil and then started it.

It started and sputtered a bit. I rode straight to a gas station and filled up with premium and then rode about 50 miles. Over the next several days it smoothed out and I had run that tank out of it by the next weekend. I sold it three years later and had experienced no problems.

#14 ·
I think it works.

About a year ago I bought an 84 GL1200. Put a little money into it and it was running pretty well but had some noise in the valve train. A friend told me to put seafoam in gas and in crankcase. It is now much quieter and smoother. I now put a couple ounces in every tank and every oil change. Snake oil? Placebo? Could be.

#15 ·
If you dig into the MSDS sheets to see what all the magic elixirs are, you will perhaps have a better understanding of what they do and why they work. E.g., Seafoam is pretty basic naptha and ispropanol mixture. Naptha a slow-acting solvent for gums and build-ups, isopropanol to dissolve water (in ethanol fuels that sit for a while and phase-separate, or water in fuel). Use it as a preventative treatment from time to time, probably you'll be OK.

From there you get into similar formulas that may contain harsher solvents to act as injector cleaners. Yamaha Ring Free is another one that alledgedly prevents sticking rings, cleans injectors, etc.....

Lots of stuff to spend your money on............

#17 ·
Advance Auto Parts now (3/5/17) has Seafoam for $37.09/gallon using promo code SAVINGS. I've been using this in every tank of gas on all my power equipment and cars. No complaints and no issues. Vstrom's start immediately and run great.

Reactions: om28 and Solo Moto
#20 ·
Seafoam has always worked really well for me, I mostly use it as a stabilizer and add a bit every few tanks. Never had fuel issues doing so, and I've used it to revive a lot of crudded up 2-cycle and mowing equipment. It's pretty amazing in that role.

#21 ·
Seafoam and sta-bil both every once in awhile, especially when something may sit for awhile. All power equipment operates as it should. My old chainsaw sat for 3 years with gas in in it and started right up when I needed it!

#22 ·
Naphtha, mineral sprits and/or light oil in some combination seem to be the common ingredients in all of these fuel treatments. I have used Seafoam in the past and have had good success with it. As of late the I dump in a few ounces of Crown camp fuel periodically (aka white gas aka naphtha) and it has served me no differently than products 8 times the cost. Its less the $8 per gallon at Wally World and works a treat in my camp stove as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.