StromTrooper banner

Bike's away, plans for the winter

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  perArdua 
#1 ·
No, it's not yet too cold for me, and there are still good riding days left, even here in Ottawa. But I put my VStrom away for the winter last weekend.

My bike will winter in the one-car garage at my ex wife's place, as will the bikes of both my son (dirt) and my brother (street); the usual set-up.

The reason: I am turning my own one-car garage from a motorcycle, bicycle, junk and tool storage area to a small shop to rebuild a 1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport belonging to my brother in law. I'll be insulating the floor, walls and ceiling, installing an insulated garage door, electrical outlets, electric heating, window and door in the back wall and some other mods. We are getting too old and sore not to have some creature comforts!

We want to move the Guzzis in by the third week of November, so space had to be made, and now. This should be fun, and worth cutting my season short by a few weeks. Today would have been nice for a ride, but I at least managed a great ride, on and off road, the previous weekend with my son and friends...

btw, my brother in law has bought many box-fulls which supposedly contain a good V7 Sports parts bike and extra parts! His original bike that he's had from day one will be returned to near original condition (he modified it years ago, before it became a "classic"); the other one will end up a bit of a bastard, likely.

Will anyone be returning vintage VStroms to original condition forty years from now, I wonder? Should I be afraid now of mods done to the bike? I cut three inches off my rear fender, I pitched the original handle bar. Will that matter another generation down the road? I kind of doubt it.

So are the rest of you still riding on? (well, other than Tom, he rides year-round...)

Marc

See less See more
#2 ·
I will probably put my Wee in the basement for the winter on Saturday. I usually drain most of the fuel to make fuel tank removal a bit easier so I can clean the K&N air filter. For the past 4 years I have been checking the valve lash and since it has been at the minimums for all 8 valves, I think I will do the shims this year! About 150,000 km, so time for a bit of luvin!:thumbup:

#3 · (Edited)
Likewise, I put my bike away yesterday. Clean oil, clean chain, dirty body...:yesnod: Around here they put a lot of sand on the roads, and my favourite roads in Oro Medonte already have a good dose of it at intersections. I'll be back out by the third week in March...

As for winter plans I have a trip to Vegas booked and I have my trusty stamp collection. Rescuing stamps from a moldy album takes time and patience.

#4 ·
I got a ride in yesterday, November 16th....filled the tank up with Shell premium and a generous pour of Seafoam..let it run for 10 minutes to make sure the entire fuel system was protected...hooked up the battery tender, oil change next weekend..I start adding Seafoam to every tank for the last month or so of the riding season...and whereas I will use any brand of gas during the year, for the last month or so I use only Shell premium as it has no ethanol..I follow this regimen in both of my bikes and have never had an issue in the spring.

#5 ·
I rode today, but I have a feeling it's going to be the last ride for awhile. Time to shoot a deer for a little winter meat. It's suppose turn cold tomorrow and snow on Saturday........TD

#6 ·
Stored for the Winter

Put mine away on Saturday while the weather was still nice. Now it's corn snow, wind gusts to 80kph and the temperature is dropping too fast. Can't wait for spring.

#7 ·
I still have mine on the road, went on a nice ride on sunday and then did some work to get her ready to go to sleep. I have one last ride to a buddies garage to store it. Going to hold out for a warmer day haha.

How are you making out with the garage? I was in Lowes today and they had some really nice propane heaters, might be worth a look!

#16 ·
How are you making out with the garage? ...
The garage is now full but not with Guzzis. I just bought a load of woodworking equipment and tools, Sears and Crappy Tire mostly, from an old friend-of-a-friend who just had a stroke; so that's what I moved into the garage. (The tools, not the old guy.)

There is a long story which I won't bother you with, but the short of it is that the two Guzzi rebuilds will not happen this winter. Plans are now to fix up the garage as time allows and to work on the Guzzis next winter.

At least we each already have roadable motorcycles for when the weather turns good again, just a few months away...

Last week I saw an e-biker riding along on Blair Road, in the cold rain, holding an open black umbrella over his head. Tough or nuts, not sure, but cheers to him.

#8 ·
My last ride was on Nov. 1. I parked it in the basement and will be doing some maintenance over the winter. In the meantime, tying flies and rod building will help pass the time until March. I may do a little steelheading down in upstate NY before Xmas.

#10 · (Edited)
Still commuting on the bike everyday so far. Saw another black Strom on my way in today and a silver one yesterday. No sport bikes, curiously. ;) Minus 2 leaving this morning, but still more fun and faster moving through traffic than on 4 wheels. Heated jacket, rain pants over jeans, heated grips - fine so far, we'll see how long I last. :yikes:

Winter before last i had some free time and put the bike in the back of the pickup and drove it south. Parked the the truck and switched to the bike in South Carolina. If I have the time I may try that again this year.

#13 ·
My winterization plan consists of ethanol free gas, stabilizer, battery tender, and riding whenever temperatures exceed 40 deg F. Sticking to sheltered, hilly, twisty roads is much warmer than a faster, steady pace on the highway. This is just riding for fun, not commuting. Getting outdoors like that makes winter more bearable. Actually, it's more comfortable than hot summer days in ATGATT.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
I was hoping to go out this weekend, but it snowed yesterday afternoon, and expecting another 3-5 inches over the weekend and at 30 degrees or below, so I guess she'll sit in the heated garage for a few months... I'll just have to wait to tackle the Stelvio Pass next summer
Ignore what my location says, I'm just outside Zurich (Switzerland).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.