StromTrooper banner

All good things

5K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  darkjedip 
#1 ·
All good things

It's been a while since my accident, but I've only the motivation to talk about it recently.

On August 31st I was in the middle of a multi-day group ride into Oregon when I failed to negotiate a right turn properly and committed one of the great motorcycle sins and crossed the double yellow line.

We were at the end of the day, and close to our hotel in prospect. The road was a beautiful back road 2 lane affair with some pretty tight turns. I don't really think that I was going all that fast. Unfortunately, as I entered the right turn I caught an eyeful of a truck in the oncoming lane that I began to fixate on. My bike stood up and entered the opposite lane. I had very little time to decide what to do.

For some reason (and obviously I didn't dwell on this decision very long) I decided that I had a better chance using the opposite shoulder and going around the truck on the passenger side. Ironically, the investigating office later told me that this probably saved my life. Was it the best decision? I have no idea, this happened so fast and there were so many variables that I'll never know.

I swore as the Vstrom's front end exploded on the trucks front passenger side. Exploding pain immediately filled my body and I was thrown from the bike.

From this point on, I became the luckiest man in the world.

The initial impact and fall had just broken my right lower leg and right arm, but did no damage to my pelvis, spine, or head.

I landed down the road embankment, about 20 feet from the road surface. If I had been tossed 10 feet sooner or later the drop would have been 50 feet or more.

I landed in the only area without rocks. I landed on a soft bush. The heaviest bleeding from my leg was limited by the fact that I landed mostly upside down, feet towards to the road.

My fellow riders came to my aid within 30 seconds. I have no words to express the gratitude I have for these men and their caring and friendship. These guys kept me calm and 40 minutes later, carried me out with the emergency responders.

I helicoptered to Rouge Valley medical center, where 6+ hours of surgery put my right arm and leg back together. Unfortunately, we also discovered that I tore the ACL, PCL, & the MCL in my left leg as well. So that makes for 3 broken limbs on this bill.

I had a lot of feelings that day. My wife was 8 months pregnant at the time, and I was initially terrified that I would not be around for my kids. Yes, I know what a lot of you are thinking: that I shouldn't have attempted a long trip so close to the the delivery, but it's a long story and my wife was fine with it (my wife is awesome). I hadn't fully grasped the long road that was in front of me. Now, 50 days later, I'm still staring at a long road and now I get it. Crashing sucks.

Several days later I returned home via medical air transport and spent the next month or so in between 2 hospitals, and 2 nursing facilities.

I had two more surgeries to finish the repair on my legs. The good news is that the doctors expect that I will fully recover. I should be able to start learning to walk again in a month or so, my goal is to be able to return to work by New Years.

But in regards to the title, obviously this accident had drastically changed my life. I have loved, obsessed, and ridden motorcycles for 10 years. As soon as I hit the ground I knew that my riding career was over. I was terrified that I would not see my kids grow up, and I never wanted to feel that way again.

I will always miss riding, but in the end I can't put my wife through this again (not to mention my kids will be old enough to understand very soon). After 10 years, I have no idea how to live without it.

I wish the best of luck to those of you who still ride, I will always watch with envy.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure what to say except, I'm glad you're not hurt any more than you were. Things change over time, kids grow up, and want's and needs change. There are a lot of fun things to do in this country, camping, football games,, hockey and etc.
Who knows, maybe someday when the kids are grown, you'll ride again. In the mean time get well and enjoy your family..........TD

#6 ·
yikes, stories like this scare the crap out of me since I have 3 young boys. What caused you to have problems in the corner?

#10 ·
That's a decision no one but you can make. No one should or could really influence you.
I had one, no where nearly as badly banged up as you were, but it was for sure a wake up call. I came down on the other side of the fence and kept riding but I absolutely respect anyone who decides the other way.
Best of luck in your recovery and whatever life holds.

#11 ·
wow, sorry for your accident, but glad you are able to be with us, and post on your experience. Prospect eh? My backyard, some great roads up that way, toward Crater Lake. I'm surprised and sorry it's the first I've heard of this, I usually keep my ears open for motorcyclists/accidents in the area. I was knocked off my Vee twice, once by a deer, air lifted to RVMC, once by a pickup truck, another ride to the hospital. Some folks thought me nuts to get the new wee when they totaled the Vee, but, it's a choice we make, with life's current circumstances all weighed in, and we do what we do. God speed the healing process. I hope it goes well for you. for me, it was the worst of the ordeal, seemed forever, the time immobilized,, etc. Stay connected, at least a little, after all, you gotta at least find out the nick name for the new DL 1000.

#12 ·
Best wishes...I stopped riding on the street for 35 years. All three of my kids and I would ride in the dirt, touring around the So Cal desert but no street bikes were in the garage, my youngest is 33, so I am back on the street on a Strom and have toured FL to CO, all over Canada and the SE USA.....I respect your decision, family first...hope you heal 100%

#14 ·
"There is little chance of death just broken limbs once and a while"

I think you underestimate the potential of off road MC use. Friend of mine spent 40 some years in a wheel chair due to an off incident.
Care and riding safely can enhance the use of bike but there is always that oh S--t moment that is as unfortunate off the pavement as on it.
Yah place your bets and you spins the wheel.

#15 ·
With small kids to think about the OP's decision is a good one. As others have noted, he can always go back to riding later in life when getting instantly snuffed in a motorcycle accident is an attractive alternative to cancer or Alzheimer's.:mrgreen:

#16 · (Edited)
To the OP,

Not to bore you, but I am 54 years old, and rode motorcycles in high school, college and a few years after that. Luckily I never crashed.

Of course I loved it, but once I got engaged I sold my bike. I got married and we raised two kids. I never rode even once for the next 25 years and didn't miss it (or the risks of riding) at all. With my wife and family and great friends there was plenty of fun and great times, all without a motorcycle.

Once my kids grew up I thought about casually riding again, took the MSF course, bought a small bike first, and now have a 2009 Wee. Now I enjoy a few hours of riding a on a nice weekend, or maybe to get lunch one afternoon. I have no regrets about taking off all those years from riding and I would not have done anything differently. Family comes first.

You do not need to look at anything or anyone with envy. Simply look at your wife, and your kids, and be grateful for them. Finish your recovery, work hard and be a great husband and father. It sounds like you know that is all you need for a great life.

You also sound as though you feel lucky to be alive, and I get that. You probably don't believe this, but years from now you will be completely healed and if you want to ride again you may be able to do so. But as you said, with or without a motorcycle, its will still be "all good things" for you.

Good luck and heal well.

Craig

#17 ·
Well, you're still alive and (mostly) intact, so that's a big plus. You may be tempted to beat yourself up over the mistake that put you in that position - don't. We've probably all made mistakes like that which could have ended up just as bad, but we got lucky and there wasn't a truck coming the other way. Or like me, one time, there was a paved shoulder/ditch on the other side of the road which I was able to ride into (and back out of).

Can't blame you for deciding to pack it in at this time. Some of us are too hard-headed (or maybe stupid) to take a hint after an event like that, and keep going. Not sure if I would be one of them.

There are lots of other interesting (and expensive) hobbies that you can do with the money you had into bikes. Maybe off-road riding, which at least is unlikely to kill you. Maybe something not at all bike related. Maybe a new sport that is fun and can provide thrills, but is less likely to cripple you.

Important thing is that you're still around and able to make these sorts of decisions.

#18 ·
So glad you are on your way to full recovery. Please don't regret your decision and never say never.
I made a decision very similiar back in 92. I was forced off the road at 50 miles an hour by a careless lady who cut me off with her car. This was the culmination of a series of close calls within a few weeks.I walked away but it seriously scared the crap out of me. My son was 11 and my daughter was 7 at the time.Although I loved riding and still do I figured the way things were going someone was going to kill me and my kids needed me more than I needed to ride.
12 years later they were grown up and I made the decision to ride again and returned to the "game" in 04.
Not once in those twelve years did I regret my sacrifice for the sake of my family and I am now enjoying the ride more than ever so like I said never say never. Some day when the time is right you may enjoy your passion once again.
In the meantime cherish your time with your family because as you already know they mean more than anything else.
Get well soon.

NSS

#20 ·
Glad to hear you're going to be ok in the long run.
I respect your decision, and that is yours alone to make.
However I am now 50 and been riding on the road for 30 years, also road raced for 5 years. I don't know if I could make that decision. I think that personally I would see it as a challenge.
People ask my wife of 29years if she worries about me when I'm out riding, she says of course but she says that's who I am and she understands that ( I'm very lucky!). I've seen too many people die from cancer etc who were not much older than me. My mum died at 55 from cancer. I realized then that life is too short not to do what you want to do. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow I can honestly say I've enjoyed my time here. Of course there's still plenty more to do!

Sorry for the long winded reply! Do what's right for you, you are very lucky to have a second chance!
All the best
PK

#21 ·
Wow, just wow! Glad to hear you are alive. The riding will come again, maybe it won't... just concentrate on getting yourself altogether proper again.

#22 ·
One possible solution for someone facing the OP's dilemma is to take out a very large insurance policy to protect the young family. I did just that during two seasons of mountain climbing in the Andes when there was a distinct possibility an avalanche or crevasse would result in my untimely demise.

In retrospect I feel a little guilty, though, for being so cavalier about it with three small children at the time.

#23 ·
No dilemma here; already have a large policy on my head. I won't say "never" but at this point my priority is to be around for my family. Many thanks for the well wishes, I'll probably still lurk - old habits die hard.

-trooper since 2006

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 · (Edited)
I was in...a multi-day group ride
when I

crossed the double yellow line.

We were at the end of the day,

as I entered the right turn I caught an eyeful of a truck in the oncoming lane...
I began to fixate on (it)
My bike stood up and entered the opposite lane.
I had very little time to decide what to do.
1st, let me applaud darkjedip on sharing his mishap with us
If you go to his blog you will see a wealth of knowledge for one to learn from
In his story, there are lessons that new and or younger riders can learn from without the pain of going thru them

Fatigue....
If you ride long enough fatigue can get you killed

Target fixation.....
Proof here in the flesh that staring at the object you don't want to hit,
can and will draw you towards it
Only God and the OP know if looking thru that corner , counter steering, scraping pegs to the right would have saved him...
'Tis not for me to armchair
Only to raise awareness and pass the torch of knowledge and experience to some of our newer riders out there
(I know, most of you Strom riders have been riding forever)
But I digress, there may not be a correct course of action as the the Big guy up there might be trying to make us painfully aware of what really should be 1st in our lives :yesnod:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.