StromTrooper banner

Does your Glee "Wiggle"?

4K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  V-Tom 
#1 ·
Okay folks...today I took a 300-mile test ride of the '12 DL650 with the fork tubes extended about 6-7mm above the top of the triple tree & I can now say with a great deal of confidence:

1) Any "lightness" I felt in the front end is now gone...the front is now PLANTED!

2) the bike "turns-in" very easily but smoothly & predictably, but the most notable difference was the "planted" feeling upon exiting corners...absolutely zero headshake

3) the modification has allowed me to use every millimeter of my rear tire's width...no chicken strips are evident (in all fairness, before I made the adjustment I had less than 2mm of "chicken strips"...so yes, it had made the bike "sharper", but only a little).

Sooooo, if you have been one of those people who feels like the DL650's front-end is a little "light" or tends to "wiggle", try dropping the triple tree about 6mm!

I will not go back to the stock configuration (unless my new Anakee III tires have a radically different profile & handling characteristics from the Bridgestone TrailWings).

See less See more
#5 ·
Have one on mine and it does the same. Aside from the tires (conti trail attack 2) its still there. This maybe the next step on my list if the shop doest change the steering stem bearing...

#4 ·
Mine never had a wiggle or wobble. It had a fork brace from day one though.

#6 ·
I don't really notice any wiggle aside from the little bit I may get when leaned over and hit a road imperfection. It is never anything but a minor amount and does not feel light. Compared to say a BMW F800GS the front feels more planted. I did put on a fork brace however and that changed nothing.

I may raise the butt end however which will accomplish the same thing and see what happens.

#8 ·
Okay I have been thinking about doing this since i got my 2012. My original thought was to wait until I got used to it but I haven't really felt the dying need to do it on the 12. Well with about 44,000 miles I think I'm used to it so perhaps in the next few days I'll try it.

BTW I did it on my 2006 and in my opinion it was the one single best modifications possible on that bike. It cured the high speed instability (especially around trucks, but that isn't an issue on the 12), made turn-in much nicer. Made the bike feel more planted. etc. I did about half an inch on that though.

..Tom

#11 ·
Fork Brace

I have had a fork brace on my Glee from about 300 miles on the odometer (have over 3300 now). I know that the brace helps stabilize the front greatly. The reason that I dropped the triple tree is that under hard acceleration out of turns the Glee did not feel as planted as my FZ6 did...I know, I know: different geometries; different rake/trail figures, etc, but I just wanted a bit more "purchase" in the grip when leaned waaay over.

The adjustment worked for me. If there are folks who want the front end to feel more planted, this modification would be worth a try.

BTW: I also did the same modification on my 2009 Suzuki TU250X cafe racer. That damned thing is ON RAILS now!!!!:thumbup:

#12 · (Edited)
I haven't noticed any wiggles either (Ricks' brace from early days) but as someone who predominantly uses my L2 as a scratching bike I'm interested enough to try the difference... tnx...

ps What torque the clamp bolts?

#15 ·
#13 ·
I've got 6,000 miles on my GStrom ( no fork brace....yet ) and I don't have any wiggle, wobble, or any instability. I haven't raised the forks either.

I've ridden in strong winds, heavy rain, and in and around traffic and have not noticed any issues at all...well, except for the buffeting from the windscreen that is sometimes enough to blure my vision, but that's another topic.

#14 ·
I've got 6,000 miles on my GStrom ( no fork brace....yet ) and I don't have any wiggle, wobble, or any instability. I haven't raised the forks either.

I've ridden in strong winds, heavy rain, and in and around traffic and have not noticed any issues at all...well, except for the buffeting from the windscreen that is sometimes enough to blure my vision, but that's another topic.
I ridie in all those conditions as well (but have the buffeting cured for me) and agree with what you are saying.

On my 2006 I liked how the handling turned in with the lowered front. I haven't seen any negatives on the 12 - as stock it seems much better in the handling department - but the faster turn-in was a nice side effect of the raised forks on the 06 that I can see enjoying on the 12.

..Tom

#19 ·
Never noticed it on mine. But I have been running the fork brace and Michelin Pilot Road 3 trails since about 100 miles....

#22 ·
Thanks Greywolf....

:thumbup1:

#25 ·
Haha... great!

#26 ·
Another couple of things to try. Raise the front tire pressure up to 36 lbs & also pivot the handlebars forward/up whatever makes sense to you so that your arms are a bit straighter.

With me I find that the angle of the bar to the forks makes a big difference on how a bike handles.

#27 ·
Another couple of things to try. Raise the front tire pressure up to 36 lbs & also pivot the handlebars forward/up whatever makes sense to you so that your arms are a bit straighter.

With me I find that the angle of the bar to the forks makes a big difference on how a bike handles.
I like around 40psi in the front tire.

Changing the angle of the handlebar doesn't change how the bike handles.. it [possibly] changes how you handle the bike.

It reflects that making the ergonomics right for the rider can improve how you interact with the bike and this can help you ride the bike better.

..Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.