StromTrooper banner

Value of 05 dl650

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  osii 
#1 ·
'sup everyone,
I'm not a strom rider yet but soon I will be. One of my local dealers has a very nice and clean blue 2005 DL650 with only a little more than 4000 miles on it. It is almost all stock except for it has suzuki hand guards and the turning signals were changed for the ones that are stuck to the fairing; front and back, and it has a back rest for the passenger which I plan on giving back to the dealer, it just makes it look funky. They want $6,295 for it. I know that price is ridiculously high for that bike. I asked them about fees and they said that they will be added to the sticker price. Ripoffs! Anyone knows what the real value of this bike would be? I was thinking of offering them $5000 + fees or maybe $5200 out the door. Are those good prices or should I offer them less. Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

#2 ·
I suggest you get a look at the "Kelly Blue Book" and check the stated value there. That will give you a good idea what its"worth". As far as the fees they want to charge on top of the sticker price.. The only fee should be for putting a license plate on it. Any other fee should be laughed at.
ymmv.

#3 ·
A quick search on completed eBay listings showed an '05 with soft luggage, Cee Bailey windshield and engine guards with 12K miles going for $4500. I'd say the $5K offer seems reasonable - good luck!

#5 ·
I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry with that dealer. There's a ton of bikes on here all the time that are sold by people willing to put their names next to them. If you're buying used get one from one of the folks here that probably took care of it. Otherwise, get one of those cool yella 08s in a couple months from a dealer that's in touch with reality.

Good luck!

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview,FL

#7 ·
Thanks for all the good ideas. I knew I could count on this forum for good info, but I now have another dilema. I visited another dealer here in Tucson and found a brand new 06 dl1000 still on the show floor since last year. the price tag says $8999 which is the MSRP but the sales man said that since it's a 2006 he can work with me on bringing the price down. I didn't stay long to do anything and talk numbers but as I sit here at home I'm giving it some thought. Should I go for it and offer them $8000 otd, or should I wait untill all the 08 models form all the other manufactures come out. I heard a rumor that Honda might finally bring the Varadero this year. Or should I just go for the 05 wee for $5000. I'm really itching for a new bike but I can't make up my mind, maybe the good people in this forum can help me. thanks again

#8 ·
i bought a mint condition '05 wee with 2,200 miles two months ago from a dealer for $4700 plus tax and title. they had a $5200 price on the bike and took $4700 without even haggling. i think either blue book or NADA list the bike at $4760 with higher miles than mine had when i bought it. you literally could not tell the difference between my bike and a brand new one.

shop around.

frye

#10 ·
Don't get paralyzed worrying about a few hundred dollars. You'll spend more than that on bolt on stuff anyway. It might be fun to insult that guy with the 06 Vee. He's in a bad spot with all of the 08s showing up ..wink.. wink. That might be your deal. Make him eat those first couple years of depreciation.

You folks in 'Zona get first crack at Cycle World shows this year:

http://motorcycleshows.com/motorcycleshows/static/staticHtml.jsp?id=358886

Get what you want. Try 'em all. Good luck!

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

#11 · (Edited)
Amazing10,

My dealer had an '05 demo with 13K miles and wanted $5300 OTD. It was heavily farkled, but I was hesitant to buy one that had received all that mileage 3 miles at a time (the length of the demo ride).

As to the Arizona show: Does anyone else find it strange that this event is sponsored by Toyota?

#13 ·
Well my heart has always been with the vee, ever since it came out. While i was in Afghanistan in 01 that is all I talked about, was getting a v-strom when I get home until I got home and found a brand new minivan sitting on my porch. My wife had gotten it while I was gone. It's a nice van but come on; a minivan? Now that it's paid off and I have the chance to get a strom, I really want to get this dl1000 but I don't know what I should offer this dealer for the 06 vee, I was thinking maybe $8000 otd or should I go even lower.

#14 ·
SSGT -
We have something in common even though we're years and miles apart. I decided to buy my first motorcycle when I was in Vietnam. (Long story for another time.) But when I finally arrived home back in "the real world" I had three priorities - (1) my wife ('nuf said) (2) a small black dog named Lil Bit and (3) a motorcycle. Years went by - the wife left me and Lil Bit couldn't help but reach the end of his life. But the motorcycles have continued to be a part of my life (so have many critters). I guess what I'm trying to say is - you've earned it. Go buy a motorcycle and ride safe!

#15 ·
amazing10, I used to do some PR work for the HOF baseball player Lou Brock. (Great guy BTW) At every speech he used to cite some cliche about being at the game or being at the game to make something happen.

Make something happen :) Tell Mr. 06 Vee that you have a deal to buy an 07 Vee with all the tricks for $7500.

That would be a lie but I'm just trying to help a brotha out. :) Actually Suzuki of Sarasota was selling left over Vees for $7200 last spring. So the $8000 OTD is entirely doable.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

#20 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread but....

Rod...what tankbag is that in your picture? It looks like it fits the shape of the tank well and isn't too big. Strap or magnets?

Sudzz

#22 ·
Well some time this week I'll walk in that dealer and tell what it's going to be. Give it to me for 8,000 otd or I'll just walk out and you can keep the bike for another year just taking up space on the floor. I'll do it as soon as I get some things straight.

Thanks for all the advise. The 650 would have been more economical but a 1000 is what I've always wanted. I hope I'm making a good choice and that they don't come up with a new version of the 1000 this year because that would be really messed up from suzuki.

#23 ·
Woohoo my first post!

Reading this thread makes me feel good about $3500 paid a month ago for my '04 Wee with 4300 miles, Givi winshield, Suzuki grip protectors, and lame backrest that my wife would not let me remove :(
Overall condition 8 out 10!

#25 ·
I just bought a new 07 for $6,000. the used ones are really high for some weird reason. even at $4500 it's worth springing for the extra $1,500 for the warranty and brand newyness. Hell I saw one's going for $5500 which is nuts when you can buy a new one for $500 more.

Just get a deal on a new one, there are tons of Suzuki dealers out there. And many will deal big time. Unlike BMW dealers, of which there are so few.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.