StromTrooper banner

New Versys In Da Hood

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Newfoundlander 
#1 ·
My buddy Doug took possesion of his new Kawasaki Versys, yesterday. Thought I'd post a shot of it next to my bike.

It's a very nice machine. It shares a lot of the traits I love about the DL650, albeit with a slighthly more sport and street focus...

See less See more
#9 ·
How's the quality of components? My KLR was really junky and it turned me off to the brand.
Yeah, my local Suzie/Kawq dealer has a brand new KLR in stock and I was looking at it. I was amazed as the terrible fit and finish. The frame welds were the worst I've ever seen on a motorcycle. I was surprised it ever left the factory that way. I can weld better than that, and I don't even know what I'm doing.

#7 ·
It's really the best thing that could happen for Suzuki... until another manufacturer openly validates a product, the product is all alone in the market... a perception that's often too big a hurdle for new buyers to cross.

The Versys validates the concept of the generalist's motorcycle: all round capability and comfort in an inexpensive package -- a product that flies in the face of the 'more is better' vortex that sucks in so many buyers.

#8 ·
Sat on a Versys at the dealer last week, I own a Vee. Looked a bit more high strung just sitting there, and has 17" wheels front and back. BIKE magazine from the UK did a review of it, and it puts out real real world dyno numbers similar to the Wee.

The seating seemed a bit more cramped, but I'm tall and have set my Vee up to handle my 6'11" frame. I keep telling myself that a Wee would be the best compliment to the Vee if I got a second bike since it is the best fitting bike out there for me.

Anyway, I am awaiting a test of the Versys vs. Wee and I am sure that is coming soon from all of the magazines.

Later.

#14 ·
Doug's a pretty mellow rider, so I doubt I'll ever find out if the Versys can take my DL650 in a stoplight drag. But they seem pretty evenly matched, on paper.

The Versys is a much smaller feeling bike when you sit on it. It has a shorter wheelbase, and it has a lot less in the way of an upper faring. The seat is considerably higher than the DL650, however. I have a 34 inch inseem, and I can just barely flat-foot the bike.

I like the look of the Versys better than the DL650, from ever angle but from the front. If the Versys had my Strom's upper quarter-faring and headlights, with the Euro-sport screen, it would be a truly great looking bike all round in my opinion. But as it is, the DL650 looks much better from the front.

The other thing I don't like about the Versys, looks-wise, is the cheezy silver plastic trim on the frame tubes, on either side.

I'll follow with another update, after Doug and I swap bikes for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.