StromTrooper banner

1st time to Deals Gap

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr_McBride 
#1 ·
Leaving June 18th. One other guy and maybe my 17 yo son. Leaving Roanoke and taking the Parkway all the way to Cherokee. First stop is Blowing Rock. Next day to Cherokee and the Hampton Inn for 2 days. Plan to concentrate on Rt 441 and the southern end of the Parkway. THen 2 days at Phillips Inn at Robbinsville and 2 or more days at Deals Gap.
Any suggestions on where to stay (all my reservations are cancellable), Where to eat or not eat, what to do and what to stay away from is appreciated. What about radar? It will be a total of 2 weeks so we have extra days to use up.
For a couple of workaholics this trip is a big deal for us. For my friend (62yo) it will be his first adventure of this type (about time).
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
? some details ?

I've been there 4 times and was at the Gap just last week in cold rainy conditions. I believe that the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are in national parks so have federally regulated speed restrictions and patrols.
DO NOT get tickets there; apparently it's very messy. All that said I only saw only one patrol vehicle with flashing blue lights and a customer and one other patrol car traveling; and I rode the whole thing last week.

Give us some more details about yourselves please.

GPS ? Riding experience ? Camping or just motels ?

#3 · (Edited)
Google Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground. It is close to the BRP. They have cabins or camping. Call ahead if you want cabins, sometimes they are full. To me much better than a motel or staying at Deals Gap. Use it for a base camp, great roads all around.

Deals Gap.... If you are going to be in the area for a few days do it on a week day. My advice would be to stay away on the weekend. It's a zoo, all different types of riders. Some with no riding skills and some think its a racetrack. Then add car clubs, that also use it as a racetrack and like to use both lanes. Don't forget the cops, yes they will be there too.
Ride it on a week day, buy a shirt or sticker if you feel the need and leave. Many other better roads in the area. I have been riding the area for years, it's a rare trip during the summer that you don't see some sort of "drama".
28 from Deals Gap to Franklin. 151 and 276 off the BRP.
By a map and pick the ones that look good, you can't go wrong in the area.

Be safe and have fun!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Watch your speed on Cherohala Skyway,ecspecially on the NC side. Also watch your speed on 129 down by the lake on the Tn side.

The Dragon is a mess on wkends if possible go during the week.

A lot of schools are out for the summer.Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and 441 to/from Cherokee will probably be a mess.

Have fun,lots of nice riding down here :hurray:

P.S. You know how we are on this forum so,don't forget your camera.

#6 ·
I'm not too bad of a rider but not great. My friend rides an SV650 and is much more timid. My son rides a CBR 650 and is much better than us.
Won't be camping. We just don't want to haul the stuff.
We'll be in the Deal's Gap area Fri Sat Sun Mon and Tues. I guess during the weekend we should stay on rt 28, Cheratolah Skyway etc.
Anyone stay at Phillips in Robbinsville?

#7 ·
Take 28 down to Highlands. Try Wayah Road and Warwoman Road while you're down there.

If you make it down to Dillard, GA, stop for a meal at the Dillard House. It's family style and LOTS of food.

There are a lot of great routes in and around North GA that you might want to consider. We do various loops from the Gap, down 28 into GA and back up 68 and across the Cherahola Skyway (about 300-350 miles each).

Ever been to Helen GA ? Its a little Bavarian Town in the middle of the GA mountains. Lots of great riding in that area as well.

Everything is accessable from Robbinsville area.

#10 ·
441 (Newfound Gap Road) through GSMNP is open as of April 15.

#12 ·
Google "Shatley Springs" and take a look. It's on Highway 16 (in North Carolina probably but very near the Virginia-NC border) just off the BRP (maybe a mile or three). It's been a long time since I was there but it's a very popular eating destination in these parts. People drive an hour or more - each way - to eat there. Church groups, social groups, etc travel there.

Family-style service (bowls of gravy, plates of fried chicken, plates of country ham, baskets of biscuits, bowls of vegetables, etc), as I recall. Wonderful country eating. I'd definitely plan to stop there since it will be so convenient, and I'd arrive very hungry. If it's not the best eating you have on your trip I think it will be a close second.

Enjoy !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.