StromTrooper banner

Life of stock 2012 tires?

6K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  MrNobody 
#1 ·
I have a little over 6,000 miles on my 2012 ADV and am wondering how much further I can expect to go on the stock tires. They both look pretty good, and my guess is I have another 3000+ miles of life left. But I am getting ready to embark on a 3000 mile trip and am wondering what kind of mileage others have seen. Should I set up a tire change somewhere along the way, or take my chances?

#8 ·
Tire wear depends greatly on your speed, the weight of the load you're carrying, how aggressive your riding is, the temperature of the pavement, and the abrasiveness of the aggregate in the pavement, all assuming suitable inflation pressure.

I'd put on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail tires if you're a pavement rider, or Michelin Anakee 3 tires if you're a mixed pavement & firm dirt rider.

#10 ·
I got 11,585 miles out of the stock rear tire. I could have gotten more but I caught a nail, so I figured it was a good enough time to change. That was over this winter time, so I don't know if summer temps would have worn off more rubber faster. The front is scalloped a little bit, but has tread enough, for maybe another 1,000 miles or so...
Before a bit long trip with your miles, I'd be inclined to throw on new rubber and enjoy the new tire smell a little.

#11 ·
I had 10,300 on my stocker and the wear bars were just flush with the tread. I was in San Diego about to start my 780 mile trek back to Salt Lake City so I went and changed out.. It is a long hot flat ride and lots desert in between. I just couldn't see risking it. Had I not been on a trip with the conditions above I might have gotten another 8oo miles outta her, but close enough to home that I wouldn't have been "stranded".

If you can afford it I'd say get a new one, but that said, spending $160 now could save your entire trip and maybe your health!

FYI I got a Full Bore tire on my swap out... I really like it! and it was on sale for $89!! Lotsa meat and tread blocks so I feel better when I wander off the pavement... ($149 installed!)

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Based on the various comments, I decided to put on a pair of Pilot Road 3 Trails next week. The mileage of my upcoming trip is about 2500, and I have 6500 miles on the bike, so opting for caution. I am probably throwing away some usable tread, but not enough to be worth putting them back on IMO.

#15 ·
They are awesome. I have about 7k on mine and a good 2-3k left and im a fairly spirited rider. Just be prepaired to pay for them! They arent cheap. They are well planted in the straights and lean in slow to a point, then they want to keep going. I can NOT get them to spin when its wet! Purposely tried on many occasions.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
I've only got 3700 miles and I noticed my rear tire has a moderate leak. I don't see any punctures, but after filling the tire, it'll go down to 10 PSI in a few days without riding.

Any suggestions on whether I should ride it to a nearby bike shop, or do I have to get it towed? :confused:

#19 ·
I just got me PR3 Trails from American Moto Tire for under $300 with free shipping to my door. http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200_255_1050 Arrivedvia FedEx ground in 2 days. I'm still breaking them in, but they are really confidence inspiring. The rear profile is broader than the Trailwing so turn in is a bit different, but like I said, very confidence inspiring.

DSR650

#34 ·
Went the Pilot Road 3 route at 17000 miles on my '11 Wee. The traction has been very good, but they may not last past 23-24000 miles. That would be only 6-7000 usable miles. My OEM Bridgestone trailwings last longer and were cheaper! I have had two sets of the trailwings, and was very satisfied.

#36 ·
Me too. I was wondering about this. I've just turned over 16,100 miles on the original front for a 2012 Glee. I'm at the center wear bar, but the side bars still show plenty of tread. The rear was going strong at about 12,000 miles, but a nail puncture made me decide to swap it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.