StromTrooper banner

They ain't all the same

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  flyinggreek84 
#1 ·
I ran out of gas this morning with the DL650AK7. The bottom block was flashing when I rolled to a stop. Only had to push the sucker 3 tenths of a mile, uphill of course. A least it was nice weather.

After 22,000 miles on the '05, I was assuming there was more consistency from bike to bike and figured I had another 20 miles.

To the bottom of the fillerneck, the pig took 5.6 gallons.

#3 ·
To the bottom of the fillerneck, the pig took 5.6 gallons.

good to know how much gas there really is in the tank

I discovered the hard way on my SV, that once you get to the point the idiot light stays on solid instead of flashing, you suppose to have .5 gal left, but you better be going straight and lever to uphill, if yer leaning or going downhill, the engine starves for gas cause it's nowhwere near the fuel pickup

coinsidently, my 1k is getting better and better economy every time I fill up, at first I couldn break the 40mpg barrier, today I got 223miles and my gange was still on 2 bars when I filled up with 4.5 gal = 49.5mpg
:mrgreen:

I don't ever want to have to push my strom

#4 ·
coinsidently, my 1k is getting better and better economy every time I fill up, at first I couldn break the 40mpg barrier, today I got 223miles and my gange was still on 2 bars when I filled up with 4.5 gal = 49.5mpg
How many miles do you have on your Vee? I have about 2400 miles and have only broke 40 mpg twice (just barely). Frustrating.

Thanks

G
#5 ·
Reminds me of the TWO times I ran out of gas on my former bikes.

First time was on my 99K1200RS. On the Blue Ridge Parkway. LUCKILY, i was at the top of a big hill, and I coasted all the way to the bottom, into this town, and only had to push it about .3 miles. The weather was nice on that one. I bet I coasted, in neutral, 2 miles. No lie!!!

Second time was on my 95 R100GSPD.
Yes...9.5 gal gas tank, and I ran out of gas!!!

Here's the thing about this bike, it has two petcocks. One on each side. When the bike starts to putter from lack of gas, you turn one petcock to reserve, and when it putters again, you turn the other. NOTE: This was a suggestion I HEARD about this bike...and was the FIRST time doing so.

So, I'm riding, it putters, I turn ONE petcock, ride about 30 miles, putters again, and I figure I have 30 more miles. WRONG!!!!!!!! 6 miles later...I'm outta gas. It is raining HARD, it's getting dark, I'm on a 4 lane highway, and I push that F#$KIN! bike 2 miles...up the offramp...to a gas station. Next time, I get gas at the FIRST putter!!!

#7 ·
It isn't like me, but I wasn't paying attention to the gas. Early Sunday morning ride, no traffic, iPod on, nice day, not a cloud in the sky...

I made my fuel decision based on this:

I had three fuel bars and 130 miles on the tank when I left the house at 6 am. I was planning on riding 100 miles to Keene, NH and figured I had enough.

Second time I've ever run out of gas in any vehicle.

#8 ·
That's indicative of a bad mileage situation. 130 miles should show four bars when getting normal mileage.

#11 ·
Just checked my mileage today- 48.3 mpg. Most of it highway. I get around 45 in-town.

#14 ·
The second tankful on this '07 bike gave me 138 miles before the top bar went white. I suppose that should have been a clue.

My '05 gave me more comfort at the bottom of the gauge. Time to mount those MSR fuel bottles I bought last summer...

#15 ·
I filled my 1000 yesterday, the bottom bar was flashing. Put in 4.5.gals. So that's 48.6 mpg. So did I have a gallon left? Sure don't what to push this bike to far..........

#16 ·
I know the way I ride, at 220 miles, no matter how much that bar flashes, I get gas. It takes 5.1 gallons every time, 43.13 miles per gallon. Like clockwork.

Now when we are trail riding, we get about 36 miles per gallon. Do your self a favor sometime, take a half gallon gas can, strap it on the back and go run out of gas. Measure out a 1/2 gallon, and go fill her up. Calculate your milage from were you ran out to the gas station, and total it all up. When you do that, you will know exactly how many miles in a given condition you can go.
I know in 100 degree heat, my milage drops to 40 miles per gallon.

#17 ·
Warm petrol increases in volume

May seem counter intuitive, but you need to get your petrol when it's cold. Fuel expands as it warms up.

The warmer the fuel, the more volume it occupies, but the less energy you get for your money. ( See what I mean about counter-intuitive?)

Racing guys always used to swathe the fuel drums in wet towels to keep the temperature low.

I suppose gas stations could always get their fuel from cooled tankers, and then warm it up prior to selling it.That would increase their profitability. :)

#18 ·
Just did a 203.5 mile run on my DL1K3, two commutes to work and back at @75-80 actual on the interstate, and a 112 mile round trip for work today at 80mph on the interstate, with HEAVY headwind on the homeward leg. 203.5 miles total (3.9% optimistic based on my gps, so 195.5 miles actual total) on 4.25 gallons.

That is an honest 46 mpg. I pulled 44.7 mpg over the weekend with two up for 60 of the 228 (219 actual) miles on the tank before. 4.9 gallons on that fill up.

When I had the 228 showing on the odo, both the bar and gas pump symbol were flashing. Up until a few miles before, it was varying between the pump symobol only and both flashing.

I have a Dobeck TFI on it, but the mileage isn't any different than before the install. Just a lot nicer to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.