StromTrooper banner

Top 100 places you have to visit

101K views 177 replies 141 participants last post by  red_ant 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let's build a list. The top 100 places you have to visit on your motorcycle. Not limited to the US btw.

Put in as much info as possible. Try to avoid commentary about the posts in this thread so that we can make it as resourceful as possible. If you would like to discuss a location, please post it as a normal post.

For example, if someone posts about deals gap, don't post a "yeah, I have been there" etc post in this thread.

Go get em!
B.K.

#53 ·
If you make it to Vegas you will be missing out if you don't ride north towards Reno, jump off the freeway and head up to Mt Charleston. Its a little hidden treasure and if you stop at the Hotel on your way up (The hotel, not the ski resort) you can have one of the best steaks that side of Nebraska and wash it down with a flat tire ale. This truly made my week my last trip to Vegas.

While you are at it its a short trip to the Grand Canyon National Park.

Of course Highway to the Sun in Glacier and Many Glacier have to be some of the most beautiful places on earth.

I love the Dragon but the offroad available around that area is amazing. If you can find Witt Road you should take it.

Some amazing logging roads found in Oregon. If you take 101 to seal rock and take beavercreek east, you will find elkhorn road. Take that into the national forest and you can ride all the way to siletz. Of course if you take 101 south of there it is amazing. Stop at the sea lion caves and enjoy the ride along the top of the cliffs.

Not too much more fun then the Autobahn in Germany although you can get in trouble despite rumors to the contrary. Don't ask me how I know.

I also really enjoyed the Hague. If you have a chance to visit the area it has wonderful riding and is very beautiful.

I'm sure I will think of a few more shortly but that is enough to get anyone started.

-GW

#7 ·
Okay, I will share too. Not on a bike but Bryce Canyon is one of the most awesome places to visit. Alaska, the Yukon Territories and of course the Pacific Coast Highway. The drive from Banff to Jasper Alberta is another wonderful trip.

#8 ·
alkali lake too big bar ferry

the dirt road follows the fraser canyon , i stoped for a rest at the alkali lake indain reserve, a native gentle man drove his truck down too me and asked;; where are you going''''' i said too big bar ferry,,, he said ;; in one half hour ,you will feel like a very small man ,in this big world ,and he drove away, i hopped on my bike and rode away wondering what he was talking about...30 minites later i came around a corner and i almost crashed my bike , the view was increadable , the fraser river cut deep below ,and i knew what the man had told me , i have never seen the grand canyon but this spot has too be a top 100

#54 ·
That looks awesome Mike. Let's try to get that done this summer.

Steve

#12 ·
I've been to Lake Tahoe and did the Lake Superior Circle Tour by bike. Later this summer I will be doing the Pacific Coast from Astoria, OR to San Diego. Top four on my list after that....

1. All 5 National Parks in Utah
2. Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper)
3. Glacier Nat'l Park
4. Tour the entire state of New Mexico

#19 ·
Going to the Sun Highway at Glacier Natl Park. Try and ride from east to west if dropoffs with no guardrails bother you.

Highway 61 from Duluth to Canadian border along shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. Highway 61 from St. Paul to Iowa border along Mississippi River.

Almost anywhere in Alaska near the ocean. And near Denali Park.

Banff Canada area and Lake Louise. Jasper and Calgary.

The entire Tuscany area of south central Italy. Sienna, Florence, Rome, Assisi, Pompei and the countryside.

West Coast from Seattle to Northern California and the Redwood Natl Forest. Yosemite and Sequoia Natl Parks. Also Lake Taho area.

All the Natl Parks in Utah.

And....if you can rent a cycle-----Maui, Hawaii.

#20 ·
The Nurburgring

If you're a driving enthusiast of any sort, and you happen to be in northern Europe, you should really take an extra day to get yourself to the Nurburgring in central western Germany. I haven't had a chance to do it on a motorcycle, but I have driven it a couple of times in rent-a-cars, and it is AWESOME! Not only are you working through 70-some-odd curves over 21km (with the longest straight being only about 2.5km), both climbing and descending, but you're also traveling through a really picturesque wooded area.

I drove this in my pre-motorcycling days, and I gotta tell you, I gained immense respect for motorcyle riders as I was doing everything in my power to keep my rented BMW 320i from losing it around these corners and the bikers are passing me like I was standing still! Didn't ruin my fun, 'though. After each lap I was sweating and shaking - had to rest about 20 minutes in between each of my five laps.

#21 ·
As an Aussie, there probably is only one place and that is the island known as motorcycle heaven and called Tasmania (no map of Tassie jokes please).

Every person, and I do mean every person I know who has visited Tassie on a bike basically raves about it as pure heaven on a stick. Everything from super tight twisties on sealed or dirt roads through to the magic scenery, a must do.

So, at this stage it looks like February 2009 for me, unless I get some finances in order before 2008.

Garry

#22 ·
Dream Rides

Option #1 (If I never win the lottery) - Find and explore every tiny line on the DeLorme map of West Virginia. All 44 pages. That should keep me busy until I'm in a nursing home.

Option #2 (If I DO win the lottery) - Ship the Strom over to Europe and spend a year riding the Balkans and Turkey. I've been to Turkey about 5 times for a week each (Ismir and Incirlik), and am fascinated by that country and it's people. Gotta stop in Sarajevo again, too, but this time on a bike.

Just dreamin'.

VStrommer263

#24 · (Edited)
The Island of Newfoundland...

Western Newfoundland

-Port Au Port Peninsula Loop (Route 460 and 463)
-Deer Lake to Lanse Aux Meadows (Route 430)

Central Newfoundland

-Lewisporte to Wesleyville to Gambo (Routes 340, 331, 330 and 320)
-Bishop's Falls to Leading Tickles (Route 350)

Eastern Newfoundland

-Port Blandford to Bonavista to Clarenville (Route 233 and 235 and 230)
-Whitbourne to Old Perlican to Mahers (Route 80 and Route 70)
-The Irish Loop (St. John's to St. John's Route 10 and Route 90)
-The Cape Shore (Placentia to Colinet to Holyrood Route 100, 92, 90)

#26 ·
Well like most I'm a budget rider.:D So most rides will be East Coast for me. But the following top my wanna do's.
1. Adirondack Tour. I mean the whole park, not just the loop from Utica to Saranac Lake to Placid down to Lake George. But the interior and areas I've not been where cars still can't go.

2. Yellow Stone, soon to be a reality in Sept.:mrgreen:

3. Northern crossing, not a place but a tour of the Northern US from Ohio all the way to Alaska and back. Maybe in '08?:eek:

4. TAT, Trans America Trail. A friend has run it solo twice now on a KLR and he's 55. Most areas worth doing seem to be out West however.

5. As far North in Canada as I can get! just because it's there.;)

#27 ·
A couple favorites, listed alphabetically:

-Bend, OR to Salem, OR or Eugene, OR.
-Bozeman, MT to West Yellowstone, WY along the Gallatin River.
-Coeur d’Alene, ID to Missoula, MT.
-Duluth, MN to the Canadian border along the north shore of Lake Superior.
-Fort Collins, CO to Cameron Pass along the Cache la Poudre River.
-Ironwood, MI to Mackinaw City, MI (couple routes) through the UP.
-Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT through Lolo Pass.
-Loveland, CO to Rocky Mountain National Park.

#28 ·
Oops, missed at least one:

-Bremerton, WA to Port Angeles, WA on the Olympic Peninsula.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.