StromTrooper banner

Sheepskin on seats

5K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Heavy 
#1 ·
Hello to all:
I have read many threads on making the DL650 stock seat more comfortable. I have read about beads and sheepskin. Does anyone know if sheepskin makes the seat more tolerable on long distance, or is it used just to neutralize the really hot or really cold temps?
Also, how do those beads help in longer distance travels?
Thank you.....Rob

#2 ·
Sorry, the sheepskin will make the seat totally intolereable. I've actually heard of cases of spontaneous combustion.

As for the beads, STAY AWAY/ I know a guy who spoke with a woman who's gynecologist saw a guy that was riding with a beaded seat cover. He was almost hot by a car and it scared him so much he sucked the beads right up his ass. They had to use dynamite and ex-lax to get them out.

#4 ·
I will chime in with my .2 worth. I find my Wee's seat the most comfy of any bike I have ever owned, often putting in multiple 15hr days in the saddle. However, on some of my other bikes, the ol' sheepskin came in very handy indeed (and it makes a great pillow at night too!).

If you are handy to an IKEA, they sell the whole pelt for around 40 clams. I have since given mine to my riding pal (Kwacker Vulcan 1600).

Cheers!

#21 ·
If you are handy to an IKEA, they sell the whole pelt for around 40 clams. I have since given mine to my riding pal (Kwacker Vulcan 1600).

Cheers!
IKEA also sells a smaller sheepskin called a 'ren' (cost was $20-$25), and it will fit the seat perfectly. I sewed elastic straps on mine so I can easily slip it on and off the seat. It really keeps my bottom from sticking to the seat in warm weather, and it keeps my seat a little warmer in cold weather.

#5 ·
Its my opinion that the sheepskin butt pads do help on longer rides in the saddle. For me anyway, it seems to just soften the pressure points on the butt a little. This allows me longer and more comfortable riding. I'm using a Suzuki gel-seat though and not the DL650 seat.

HTH's

#6 ·
Mate you Americans are so slow, get a sheepskin under your ,and you will be thanking me .I have been using them for 30 plus years.The first one I bought was just a sheepskin for $10 for a stall on the side of the road ,threw it on and used it for years ,now they make realy good fitted covers. If you have problems after that ,get a new butt.You will find about 50% OF DISTANCE RIDERS HAVE THEM In AUSTRALIA,no one I know has ever got rid of it, the next bike they buy always gets a sheepskin.

#8 ·
Everybody's butt is different and there is no one sizes fits all cure. I got a sheep skin pad recently and it made some improvements over my stock seat. For me, it helped with pressure in the crotch, but now I've got pressure on the tailbone. It does help absorb vibrations. I think it helps keep the butt dryer/cooler, but we'll see once the triple digit temps get here. Ultimately, I think I'm going to have to go the custom seat route. Sheep skin and beads are cheap enough that they're worth a try. One or the other may be a magical cure and if not, sell it on ebay.

#11 ·
Eh, I'm not convinced. I've ridden full days with and without my Alaska Leather sheepskin on my Suzuki gel seat. I think the sheepskin actually makes things worse. I'm not sure, but I think it might be bunching up a little (tiny bit) as I move around on the bike and then that causes pressure points. When I get off the bike, the sheepskin appears fine though. Weird. My butt gets a bit tired at the end of a 10 or 12 hour day regardless, but it seems worse with the sheepskin.

#12 ·
Sheepsking butt pad from alaskaleather.com It keeps sheep warm and it sure kept my butt warm too.

The first month of this season was spent riding to work in temperatures around freezing.

Now that it is hot (well warmish) the sheepskin is still very comfortable.

#16 ·
I think he's been to New Zealand.

#19 ·
I tried mine out for the first time today. I'll bet it's nice for hot or cold days but, in terms of long term comfort without regard to temperature, I don't notice much difference. When I stand up to stretch my legs, it folds back at the strap connections. I'll need to attach the front somehow. It's one more item to be concerned about with passing showers too.

#20 ·
I've got the Aerostich sheepskin pad on my Corbin leather seat. Last winter I found it was very effective at stopping me from sliding around while wearing the First Gear HT overpants.
Also a lot cooler to sit on when the bike has been sitting in the parking lot on a sunny summer day.

#22 ·
I finally got a chance to use mine for an extended period. My legs bother me more than my butt does now so I take back what I said before.

#25 ·
I had an XS1100E myself. The all wool socks get toe and heel holes too early and the make my feet itch. Wicking undersocks and wool oversocks with nylon reinforced heels and toes rock.

#26 ·
I've got an XS1100 project bike- currently wearing a Standard tank and Special rear wheel, plus crash bars and carbs I need to clean out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.