StromTrooper banner

Looking for a GPS

5K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  tedkraus 
#1 ·
Looking for a GPS for my vstrom, is it worth getting the zumo or some bike specific GPS? The main map feature I am looking for is good (up to date) back country roads especially forest service and the like....I don't want to get lost riding the dirt roads in wyoming or colorado...

It would also be nice if it would display GPS speed, but that is not super important.

I see we have a nice thread on mounts so I have got some good ideas, however if you own a GPS and really like how it is mounted I would appreciate the reminder.

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
I use aTomTom start45 model. I use the suction cup mount onto the windshield so the unit sitsjust atop the speedo cluster. Works great, but I am looking to get a tank bag with a gps pocket for a waterproof install. I always ride regular roads so I cant comment on the goatpath functionality....

#3 ·
forest service roads

I am also interested in this aspect of auto-bike GPS offerings, as I have no auto-bike gps at present..

#5 ·
Only comment I can make is after getting a Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT thinking I'd like the 5" screen I discovered using polarized sunglasses just blacked out the display in landscape mode. Rotating it around allowed me to see it in portrait mode. However, even without sunglasses, in the bright light, the display really washes out. I've tried a couple methods of shading the display and although better still disappointed with it on the bike.

Still not ready to spend the big bucks for a bike specific model however.

Rick

#16 ·
Only comment I can make is after getting a Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT thinking I'd like the 5" screen I discovered using polarized sunglasses just blacked out the display in landscape mode. Rotating it around allowed me to see it in portrait mode. However, even without sunglasses, in the bright light, the display really washes out. I've tried a couple methods of shading the display and although better still disappointed with it on the bike.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to mount your Nuvi. I have a 2455LM and hope to mount it over the dashboard (level of the windshield). Did you use the stock electrical connector into a cigarette outlet or something else? I would like to do the same but seems like my cord is so long. May try some other way of energizing the GPS.

#6 ·
I have a garmin GPS MAP 60csx. It's been okay. I like that it's a fairly versatile unit. It does the job for many things, but it isn't superb at them. I'd prefer a bluetooth GPS for the motorcycle, and something that has a touch screen. For geocaching I'd also prefer the touch screen, like the Garmin Oregon. If I need GPS around town, I usually just use my phone because it talks to me, and it's easier to tell on the screen where you are going. The 60csx does eat batteries pretty quick. So a power wire on the motorcycle will be required.

#7 ·
I have a zumo 450 and love it. I was hesitant because of the price but It's been a great GPS for almost 5 years. I like the waterproof part and the left hand controls. If/when this unit dies, I'll certainly get another Zumo.

#9 ·
I have a Delorme Earthmate 60w.

pros:
It is VERY rugged, can have the backlight on for about 20hrs on a set of 2x lithium-AAs. It will runs for about three days if the backlight is allowed to go back off. Great for trails, has roads that are not shown in most street-only GPSs and communicated directly with the Delorme InReach (like a SPOT locator). Has gotten me out of trouble in my truck and on my bike when I got lost at the everglades and my truck GPS only showed a giant green blob telling me to go back to the road. Also has big buttons so using it with gloves is not a problem. Probably one of the best if you are going off-reservation.

cons:
Steep learning curve, smallish screen, terrible street address database, no voice-nav (turn-by-turn is by alarms), no bluetooth for turn-by-turn. Naming waypoints is also a pain, but doable.

#10 · (Edited)
Dakota

I've got a Garmin Dakota 20 in the snap-in cradle for the RAM mount, off the handlebars. It has full topo maps & touch screen.
A mate with a Zumo (and no topographical maps, as standard) has no screen indication of his small country road to his property. The roads on screen for him only start when back on the main road.
I find the Dakota/topo maps invaluable for checking that the track I'm on is the correct one -- sometimes, at a gravel road intersection, the correct road isn't immediately obvious.
If you get authentic topo maps, then the GPS can route you to a chosen point/home etc -- as a regular GPS does. Though, not having spoken instructions, you have to look at the screen, rather than getting the instruction through a headphone etc.
It's when following a route already set that it's clear I am on the correct track -- as that is marked with a thicker (green) line, compared to the other roads around
It does have compass and GPS vehicle speed etc.
With this sort of GPS (rather than a car type unit), it is possible to set up a route in advance in a town by town and/or intersection and/or map grid reference manner -- as a named route. Whereas, most car type units can just have one alteration from the chosen route -- and with no ability to set-up a number of routes in advance in the unit's memory.
I don't know it a bike specific GPS can pre-set a number of routes.
Also -- the batteries in the Dakota last easily a whole day -- and are AA's, so replacements are everywhere. It can take re-chargeable batteries -- which re-charge if you plug the unit into a socket on the bike (or car etc), or take a small recharge unit for a power outlet for the motel eg.
Small car units that talk to you are cheap enough to buy and have in, eg a tank bag -- to navigate through a city etc.
I couldn't go where I do with the current peace of mind without a GPS unit with topo maps in.
The Dakota is good for paperless geocaching too, if that interests you.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I am still looking around. I currently have a tank bag so I could put my GPS in there or do a mount of some sort... I am glad I found out about the zumo not doing topo maps as I ride BLM aka bureau of land management roads on a frequent basis. Never thought about using a delorme looked into those for camping etc a while ago but decided to stick with good old map and compass...

At the moment I am kind of leaning towards the garmin dakota but have not made up my mind. I will let everyone know when I purchase something and if it turns out the way I planned!

#13 ·
My buddy has a Zumo 550 and it's gotten us through some pretty tricky places. It's even routed us through worn jeep trails not on google maps (this was a very good thing). It's very reliable and never let us down. I like it so much, I just bought a used one from a fella on advrider (they are discontinued - but are the exact same as the new versions of Zumo).

Why a moto GPS?
-Because I can upload routes I create with a lot more way-points then a auto unit
-Water resistant, dont have to fool with plastic bags or covering it
-will track and record your route
-screens are made to work with gloves
-blue tooth to my Sena
-mount is specific for a moto, it locks into place rather than a simple snap.

Used ones can be found all over, I got mine for $400 shipped and its mint.

#14 ·
I like it so much, I just bought a used one from a fella on advrider (they are discontinued - but are the exact same as the new versions of Zumo).
Newer models are significantly faster, and have enough memory to store the entire North America mapset. The 550 did store the whole map set when it was a new model half a dozen years ago, but now you have to choose your areas.

Newer models also are able to transmit satellite radio in stereo via Bluetooth, the 550 is mono only.

This is all nitpicking, I know, I did own two 550's, but sold them for good prices when the 660 and 665 came out. And to me, bleeding edge Tom, both of those newer models are in need of a serious refresh.

#17 ·
I have no problems with my zumo 660 and have it mounted on the Strombone windshield mount.
Easy to see at that location and the mount has a sturdy quick release. No vibrations noticed when going down wash board roads.
Too bad I purchased the unit last year because they now come with lifetime maps.
The Zumo kit came with a couple of mounting options.

Cheers
Ray B.

#18 ·
Have had a few GPS units, including a car version Nuvi, TomToma, and more rugged 60CSx, Zumo 550, and now a Zumo 660....all great units, each have strengths and weaknesses.

If I was looking for a new one today, and backroads/topo stuff was important, I would be looking at the Dakota for a cheap option, as it can be bought for $199 right now, or a premium choice, the Montana.

There has been a longgggggg ongoing thread on the Montana on ADV forums, so if you want to know more than any Garmin rep could ever tell you, look there.

You will also find plenty of Dakota info there as well.

#19 ·
Thanks for the info, pretty settled on a Montana or a Dakota. Topo's are a must and it will double for camping etc. as a back up to my preferred navigation of Map and Compass.

Any suggestions for mount?

#20 ·
If you are going for the Montana I would suggest a refurbished unit. These are very well tested prior to going out and a lot more reliable than the new ones.

I have had THREE before they got it right and know of a number of others in the same boat.

As for mountaing get the Rugged ATV mount, only about $35 or so

Cheers
TS

#26 ·
i saw this but think it fails the topo/forest service road test... too many back country dirt roads in wy to not have this feature...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.