StromTrooper banner

GPS with uploadable routes?

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  archeranger 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade my GPS to a unit I can upload routes to.
But I'm a cheap bitch. I've been using a TomTom I got for $40 on Black Friday three years ago and the thing rocks. The only time it's ever "lost" me is when I've been on a goat trail. I just pull it when it starts raining more than a drizzle.
So I want the cheapest unit I can get away with that allows uploading routes but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to determine that from the websites.

Suggestions?

#3 ·
For a rainproof solution that you can use anywhere on the planet, and for which free upload able maps are widely available try a Garmin etrex 20 or 30, or 62s. Also etrex Legend or Vista HCx, or 60CXs if you can still get one.
Caution, you need a wee bit of tech skill to find and load the maps, there are no voice commands, and the screens are small. But, they are robust, lightweight, and great do handheld round the city or in the bush.
Photo shows bush mechanic mount for etrex 30 on a Wee.
Gauge Speedometer Tachometer Auto part Motor vehicle

And with device mounted:
Speedometer Gauge Tachometer Auto part Measuring instrument

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
uploadable free maps

For a rainproof solution that you can use anywhere on the planet, and for which free upload able maps are widely available try a Garmin etrex 20 or 30, or 62s. Also etrex Legend or Vista HCx, or 60CXs if you can still get one.
Caution, you need a wee bit of tech skill to find and load the maps, there are no voice commands, and the screens are small. But, they are robust, lightweight, and great do handheld round the city or in the bush.
Photo shows bush mechanic mount for etrex 30 on a Wee.
View attachment 27538
And with device mounted:
View attachment 27546

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
care to explain hour YOU do the uploadable free map thing

I have an eTrex 20.

#4 ·
I got a Garmin 765T for about $99 on Amazon. Not waterproof but works fine with a ziplock bag as a rain bonnet held on with a twist tie or rubber band. Accepts uploaded routes. I use Streets and Trips program for route planning. The Harley ride planner website works well also.

#5 ·
I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 that allows routes.

I considers routes to be a required feature and I won't use a gps that does support them. Also, the Garmin gpx file extension is widely used. You can find routes on the internet. With the Garmin Communicator plug-in, you can build a route in MapQuest and then transfer it directly to your gps ( if your gps supports routes ). This is how I have been building routes for the past 7 years.

The Nuvi 760 isn't water-proof, but a sandwich bag and a rubber band have served me well over the years.

#7 ·
This has been a frustrating challenge for me too. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1390 which doesn't allow me to upload routes to it. When touring, I like to plan out the roads I want to take, and then not have to worry about remembering all the different names of streets. So far have not found an iPhone app that will allow me to do this easily or cheaply either. I'd hate to have to buy a new GPS unit just to have this feature, partly because I'd rather carry one device (the iPhone) than two (iPhone + GPS).

Any iPhone app suggestions? Or should I bite the bullet and upgrade the Garmin? Voice prompts and a big screen are nice, but I don't need their very expensive motorcycle specific unit. I'll put a ziploc baggie over mine, thank you very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.