Hi Suzzane,... I´m srue you will do well with the 650. I have my 650 since 2-3 years ago. About buying the DL1000 I would recomend to go with the 650 for some reasons
1. You told it!! the weight and it's distribution is important and 650 does better in sand and dirt roads than 1000. You will find some of these roads in South A.
2. There are some dollars that you can save if you buy the 650. You can invest them in accesories, a good gps, equipement, etc.
3. Performance is almost the same, you won't find many long hiways here so you will not miss the extra power of the 1000
4. Fuel, it's a fact, you wont get high octane fuel everywhere in S.Am. DL650 is more eficient with 85-87 octane fuelt than DL1000.
5. 650 is more popular than 1000. There are many parts that are the same for both of them, but if you need something specific you will get more chance of getting it from 650 than 1000.
When do you start your travel?
Don't skip Colombia, you and your boyfriend will be very welcome in my home in Bogota. Good luck,.. safe travel!
Anything you need just let me know. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org
and my cell 57 311 5612238