From DRZ400S to DL650! - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Strom Sisters


Strom Sisters For our female strom enthusiasts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Trailmix44's Avatar
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Killadelphia, PA
Posts: 40
Default Got some miles in, however...

I'm having issues getting used to how twitchy 1st gear is in comparison to the DRZ. The Wee seems to give all or nothing and it freaked me out a few times in turns (turns from stops. I live in the city) when I was rolling thru the throttle as I turned. Is this a general thing that I will just get used to or is it always jumpy feeling? Or do I need to re-learn how to make turns????

On the bright side, I hit up the Trader Joe's today and was quite pleased with what I was able to bring home in just the top case.

1- 3lb bag cat food
2 - cans of tuna
2 - small yogurts
1 - container grape leaves
1 - pint of soup
1 - large bag of chips
2 - 1 liter bottles of seltzer
2 - kiwis
2 - pears (the big red ones, not small bartlets)
1 - block of cheese
2 - bags of frozen tamales
2 - boxes frozen indian food
1 - box frozen thai food
1 - bag of gyoza
1 - bag of choc covered mango & coconut slices


I also had a few random other things in the case already AND the case wasn't full.

VERY pleased.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Laramie , WY
Posts: 8
Default

I know what you mean by twitchy. You kinda get used to it and I know it is time for a chain tighten when it goes from twitchy to bucky ha.

I have been thinking of getting a drz400 for trails and camp tour but man I love the wee when I get back on the road . Wish there was a perfect bike or I had a bigger garage !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 AM
chrisbre's Avatar
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tamworth, NSW, Australia
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmix44 View Post
I'm having issues getting used to how twitchy 1st gear is in comparison to the DRZ. The Wee seems to give all or nothing and it freaked me out a few times in turns (turns from stops. I live in the city) when I was rolling thru the throttle as I turned. Is this a general thing that I will just get used to or is it always jumpy feeling? Or do I need to re-learn how to make turns???? .
Not meaning to be telling you how to "suck eggs": perhaps, with a taller first gear on the wee -- you'll have to go back to the training basics -- regarding pulling the clutch in, and using the 'friction zone' of the clutch action to smooth out stop-go transitions. (ie: slipping the clutch -- also sometimes called 'feathering' the clutch). This is something that is used a gazzilion times on a rocky rough single track sort of ride. With a lightweight trail bike or enduro, you probably have a really low geared first gear -- so can just crawl away from being stopped.
Also good to check -- if you've bought your wee second hand -- is the number of teeth of the front and back sprockets. Maybe the PO 'geared up' for major highway use. If that's the case you could get back some low speed flexibility by sourcing sprockets more geared to your liking.

Last edited by chrisbre; 11-07-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: wording
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 162
Default

Welcome! I'm also a strommer from the city of brotherly love. In fact I work right next to the Trader Joes that you likely went to (my bike is parked near it on 21st right now). Maybe I'll see you out on the road. Oh and if you ever need any help wrenching on it, let me know, I've done just about everything to a strom (Currently on my 3rd one).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Trailmix44's Avatar
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Killadelphia, PA
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbre View Post
Not meaning to be telling you how to "suck eggs": perhaps, with a taller first gear on the wee -- you'll have to go back to the training basics -- regarding pulling the clutch in, and using the 'friction zone' of the clutch action to smooth out stop-go transitions. (ie: slipping the clutch -- also sometimes called 'feathering' the clutch). This is something that is used a gazzilion times on a rocky rough single track sort of ride. With a lightweight trail bike or enduro, you probably have a really low geared first gear -- so can just crawl away from being stopped.
Also good to check -- if you've bought your wee second hand -- is the number of teeth of the front and back sprockets. Maybe the PO 'geared up' for major highway use. If that's the case you could get back some low speed flexibility by sourcing sprockets more geared to your liking.
Thanks for your input. I've been riding a long time, but mostly off-road on various 2 & 4 stroke dirt bikes. Maybe this is just a different animal?

I did buy second-hand. The twitch I'm referring to is after the release of the clutch, right after the point of engagement. It's a weird feeling.

I'm just gonna keep riding and not worry unless it gets more noticeable over time. As you said, getting back to basics.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Trailmix44's Avatar
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Killadelphia, PA
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
Welcome! I'm also a strommer from the city of brotherly love. In fact I work right next to the Trader Joes that you likely went to (my bike is parked near it on 21st right now). Maybe I'll see you out on the road. Oh and if you ever need any help wrenching on it, let me know, I've done just about everything to a strom (Currently on my 3rd one).
Oh, fantastic! That's exactly the TJs I shop in. I've probably drooled over your bike on multiple occasions.

Where do you typically go riding? NJ? Lancaster area?

I'm definitely up for having a wrenching buddy. The guy I got the bike from kept it in great condition so now it's my turn and I don't have a clue how to do anything except perhaps changing the oil.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: newmarket ontario Canada
Posts: 312
Default

Gee , I thought I was breaking new ground when I transitioned from my 06 drz400s to an 09 dl650a ! I see now it's a logical progression enjoyed by many .
I too found the throttle a bit abrupt on takeoff - I likened it to excessive friction in the cables , that made it difficult to roll on power smoothly....but I've since grown accustomed to it .
Have fun with your new ride , it's a beauty !
Alex
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM
strompilot's Avatar
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,975
Default

What you are experiencing could be the difference between a carbureted engine and a fuel injected engine. FI can be a bit herky-jerky, especially in the lower gears. You get used to eventually.

We miss Trader Joe's. They don't have a store up here, unfortunately. Great stuff at great prices. If you're into wine, they've got a decent selection that's both inexpensive and good. One time I stopped at the Trader Joe's in Bend, Oregon and picked up a case of a good Chilean red wine and strapped it to the back seat of my Gold Wing and rode back to Boise with it there.
__________________
'09 DL650
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Trailmix44's Avatar
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Killadelphia, PA
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strompilot View Post
What you are experiencing could be the difference between a carbureted engine and a fuel injected engine. FI can be a bit herky-jerky, especially in the lower gears. You get used to eventually.

We miss Trader Joe's. They don't have a store up here, unfortunately. Great stuff at great prices. If you're into wine, they've got a decent selection that's both inexpensive and good. One time I stopped at the Trader Joe's in Bend, Oregon and picked up a case of a good Chilean red wine and strapped it to the back seat of my Gold Wing and rode back to Boise with it there.

womp womp, Pennsylvania has insane booze-related blue laws. Believe it or not grocery stores (& corner stores, 7-11, etc) cannot sell alcoholic beverages.

You either
  1. go to a bar & get a take-out beer 6-pack (with a two 6-packs max per purchase) at inflated prices or
  2. go to a beer distributor where you can buy a case of beer or
  3. go to the state operated liquor store for over-priced wine & liquor.

Or drive the 20 minutes to Delaware or New Jersey like I do
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM
strompilot's Avatar
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmix44 View Post
womp womp, Pennsylvania has insane booze-related blue laws. Believe it or not grocery stores (& corner stores, 7-11, etc) cannot sell alcoholic beverages.

You either
  1. go to a bar & get a take-out beer 6-pack (with a two 6-packs max per purchase) at inflated prices or
  2. go to a beer distributor where you can buy a case of beer or
  3. go to the state operated liquor store for over-priced wine & liquor.

Or drive the 20 minutes to Delaware or New Jersey like I do
Sounds like quite a hassle! But this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up, especially since there is no Trader Joe's in Idaho.
__________________
'09 DL650
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2