StromTrooper banner

The Long Way to RMAR and the blast back home.

13K views 125 replies 14 participants last post by  Bahill 
#1 ·
RMAR is only two weeks away but I start vacation this Sunday.

So with 17 days off from work I'll be getting the DL650 on the road this Sunday 7-18 and making a big loop up into Minnesota to visit family then out to Montana for the WestFest rally. That will give me about 5 days to get from Darby, Mt to South Fork, Co for RMAR. Although I plan to join up with a few other riders for that leg of the trip, a route has yet to be laid out. But it promises to possibly be the best part of the trip as we explore our way South through the Rockies! :thumbup:

I'll use this as my "follow along" thread for friends and family to keep track of me and I'll try to add a few pics as I go. Then give a full report upon my return.

This is my proposed route for this coming Sunday through Thursday. CLICK HERE

p.s. I'm actually starting the trip with brand new tires and brakes this time.....:green_lol:

#2 ·
So with 17 days off from work I'll be getting the DL650 on the road this Sunday 7-18 and making a big loop up into Minnesota to visit family then out to Montana for the WestFest rally. That will give me about 5 days to get from Darby, Mt to South Fork, Co for RMAR.
Between meeting up with DocSabre yesterday and now this, I'm beginning to feel a little over-employed.

#5 ·
Just South of Indianapolis. Bike seems a little flat on top end and acceleration but cruises fine. Maybe it was just some weak gas...I hope nothing is getting ready to go caput. Looks like I might pass through a quick shower leaving here, that might feel good as it's been hot.

#7 ·
I set up camp along the Mississippi river about an hour ago. Getting a bite to eat now....bike ran better since that last post so hopefully it was just bad gas.

#8 ·
Attention lurkers!!

Can anybody find me a link to that thread about modifying the fuel filter?

Thanks if you can post it here...I'm posting from a phone and it's not an easy format to search from.

What I think I seen once, not sure which forum though, is that the fuel pump and filter are sold only together as a unit for about 300 bux. Somebody did a thread about seperating them and installing an inline filter somehow...

If I have increasing trouble that's my next guess is the filter may be clogging and I wonder just how hard that conversion is?

#10 ·
Thanks a lot...I'll look at it later.

I'm in Eau Claire, Wi now after spending all morning just cruising up the Mississippi and crossing it several times. Time to get rolling, I may pause in Duluth for a pic or two is all.

#11 ·
Made it to Mom & Dad's place. Tomorrow will be a rest day, maybe some maintenance and diagnostics.

Bike seemed to run pretty good all day then just before I got here it wouldn't go above 8k rpms. If I back off and let it wind up slowly I can nurse it up towards the redline...and it jumped off the bottom fine but fell flat 8k in several gears when I tried. Gotta read that link in a few....

#13 ·
OK My Dad and I did that fuel filter mod this morning and it seemed to work on a short test. Hopefully all will be well when I get back on the road tomorrow. Just sitting around with a full belly now, while we were wrenching Mom was busy fixing a huge lunch...I'm as stuffed as after Thanksgiving right now visiting with family....

#20 ·
Thanks....and thanks again for that link, it may have been a trip saver.

In Glasgow, Mt looking at radar..some scattered stuff up ahead but I'm gonna see if I can miss them and keep rolling.

#18 ·
I'm currently in the geographical center of north america...so the sign says....couple hunert more miles and I'll be in Montana.

#22 · (Edited)
Stopped in Havre for the night. I managed to get here still dry but grabbed a cheap hotel as showers are still in the area....and I didn't feel like pitching my tent in a puddle as it rained hard here earlier. Gonna walk down the street and see if I can get some grub!

edit: I did get here just in time and the hotel was a good call...as soon as I finished posting here the bottom fell out..thunder and lightning oh my!

p.s. RV..you and Mike must have found the rest of my pics in smugmug, hey?...That Dickeyville Grotto was kinda weird, I rode my bike through it but after I got inside it became clear that I wasn't supposed to be doing that!..ruh.oh.

#24 ·
Hey Ron,
I'm eating breakfast in Great Falls now 250 miles to WestFest then I'll have riding partners everyday until Aug 1st when I have to start that blast back home.

Next two days will be loop rides back to camp then several of us will ride together to RMAR where there will be more local loop rides before I have to head East.

#25 ·
Kevin, I vote we change your user-name to V-Strom Superman. Just the ride out there would cause me to take a week to recuperate. Just be careful and have a good time. We are following your progress and look forward to seeing you when you get back.:thumbup:

ACE

#26 ·
I'm in Missoula only about 50 miles from camp..not sure if I'll have coverage down there to update or not..

..but I'll try to ping y'all when I can.

#28 ·
I'm in Darby taking it easy today..my phone is messing up so I may need to find an AT&T store to get a replacement. When I plug it in to charge it reboots itself and it does the same with the data cable to the net book and it won't connnect, it does seem to charge and still work but who knows for how long.

#29 ·
Beautiful day today! I rode about 150 miles this afternoon, just a scenic run up over a mountain and back. BBQ dinner smells like it should be ready soon.....

#30 ·
Another fantastic day in Montana. I rode over a different pass to an old mining ghost town today, only a couple hundred miles but very scenic.

Tomorrow myself and two others (so far) are going to try and ride some of the Continental Divide Trail as we make our way to RMAR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.