StromTrooper banner

09 Motech Crashbars

15K views 57 replies 33 participants last post by  gd4me eh 
#1 ·
Maybe I missed the memo, but I was searching for crashbars and it looks like Motech has updated the Wee version of their engine guards. Does anyone have experience with the latest model. It looks like it will offer more protection like the GIVI.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm tempted to order some just to check them out. It looks like they address most of the complaints about the older version, and here's betting they won't induce the vibey-buzzy hell that is my lead-shot filled, RTV enhanced Givi bars (it's tolerable with the lead-shot and RTV, but only just).

#4 ·
figures that they would come out a bit after i just equipped my wee.

#6 ·
Report on the new SW Motech Bars

I just purchased a set of the new designed SW Motech crash bars. I installed them yesterday. They are very solid and with their crossbar connector they look more solid than the GIVI's. Installation was easy except for breaking loose the Suzuki bolts. Suzuki uses some super Locktite on these bolts and I had to use an 8" Crescent as a cheater on my Allen wrench to break them free. Even broken loose they were tough to remove.

There does not seem to be any hint of the dreaded vibration at about 5,000 rpm that some have reported on the GIVI's and the Motech bars.

So, maybe another question is why did I buy them? I rarely ride in the dirt and when I do it is on maintained two track fireroad type surfaces. I don't expect to drop the bike in that situation, but maybe I will. I have had a couple of near zero MPH fall overs and I figure the bars will protect the plastic in that case. Since the plastic costs more than the bars, I should come out ahead.

David

#23 ·
I just purchased a set of the new designed SW Motech crash bars. I installed them yesterday. They are very solid and with their crossbar connector they look more solid than the GIVI's. Installation was easy except for breaking loose the Suzuki bolts. Suzuki uses some super Locktite on these bolts and I had to use an 8" Crescent as a cheater on my Allen wrench to break them free. Even broken loose they were tough to remove.

There does not seem to be any hint of the dreaded vibration at about 5,000 rpm that some have reported on the GIVI's and the Motech bars.

So, maybe another question is why did I buy them? I rarely ride in the dirt and when I do it is on maintained two track fireroad type surfaces. I don't expect to drop the bike in that situation, but maybe I will. I have had a couple of near zero MPH fall overs and I figure the bars will protect the plastic in that case. Since the plastic costs more than the bars, I should come out ahead.

David
I wish I would have made these my first purchase when I bought my 09 Wee. I've been riding for 40+ years and I managed to drop my bike in my gravel driveway. My kickstand wasn't fully engaged... Broken clutch lever, 3 minor scratches in the plastic tank piece, skinned up the left Givi E21.

Here in lies the lesson. Don't worry about why you made this purchase, just be glad you did...

#7 ·
I've had about a half-dozen bad dreams since I got my Wee in January, in which I drop the bike while standing still, getting off it, getting on it...

Fortunately I'm pretty well coordinated in waking life, and the bike has not ever gone down. :thumbup:

Gotta tell ya, those dreams suck though. :thumbdown:

#9 ·
only one notable issue , they now use 4 screwes instead of the main bolt through the engine and one front screw. So should hold on great but because of the change you can no longer use frame sliders with the crash bars as some have done. So in the end if thats a issue to you then better find some old stock else get the new ones. I wish I knew the new ones where on the way when I ordered the stock suzuki crash bars with my new bike what 2 month back. Especialy sicne the stock suzuki are the motech old style bars

#13 ·
bought from Twisted Throttle

Day after I ordered back on 10/26 I got an email saying the wouldn't ship until 11/20. Then the shipped on the 2nd. Wonder if it was a typo on the email.

I was about to buy the whitehorse press imitations but then saw the new design of the motechs.

#15 ·
I just bought the old style motech and might go to the new ones. I just hate to take a hit on the six week old set. I guess if sombody wanted the old ones better than the new style I could do OK. Old style mounted on main engine bolt would be stronger, but I am worried about protecting the plastic.

#18 ·
I have a set that just came in the mail yesterday. :thumbup:

I was going to install it last night, but the last bolt I tried to get off was stuck on so tight that I rounded out the inside :yikes:

I spent tonight drilling it out, hammering in torx bits, putting heat to it, and finally getting a buddy to use his impact wrench. It finally came off!!

They look great and line up perfectly. I will post pics tomorrow after I finish the install. Stay tuned!!

#21 ·
I received a set of the new Rally bars and the new engine guard as a gift last weekend.

The fit and finish were much better than my Givis, and I was quite pleased to find that I no longer suffer the vibes that they induced.

Right now, I'm trying to determine what to use the holes in the gusset on the bars to mount. Lights? Highway pegs?

#22 ·
I put mine on this evening, and they are nice! I wasn't able to snap any pictures because my garage is too dark. I will either take some tomorrow after work or on Saturday and post them here.

Now I need to get a skidplate and some TKC's and I'll be ready to go when it gets a bit warmer.

#30 ·
I'll find out this weekend. I'm installing some auxiliary lights and expecting to have to remove the cowlings and tank to run wires. I don't think they will be in the way though. I've never read any posts that mention removing crash bars in order to remove side pieces, and the Givi bars have been out for a while and go up just as high. I could be wrong though, I'm sure somebody will chime in and let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.