Luggage pictures thread - Page 69 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > Photography and Videos


Photography and Videos Post your photos here for the world to enjoy! Not limited to V-Strom stuff.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #681  
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM
vandgo61's Avatar
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: near utica, ny
Posts: 53
Default

Pelican im2400 on rt side, 2450 on left, mounted on givi racks with stainless nuts, bolts, washers and rubber washers. 40 total inches width, left side 3/8" wider than right. Givi v46 topcase. I would have mounted a Givi e45 or trekker top case for a better match had I not purchased the v46 first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 white 650 (3).jpg (100.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 2011 white 650 (9).jpg (100.2 KB, 218 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #682  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Satch's Avatar
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wasatch Mountains, UT
Posts: 1,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandgo61 View Post
Pelican im2400 on rt side, 2450 on left, mounted on givi racks with stainless nuts, bolts, washers and rubber washers. 40 total inches width, left side 3/8" wider than right. Givi v46 topcase. I would have mounted a Givi e45 or trekker top case for a better match had I not purchased the v46 first.
I have a similar setup, except both sides are the im2400. I've been fine with that until I saw your setup with the 2450 on the left! Thanks a lot...now I've gotta go swap out my left 2400 with a 2450! I don't recall the 2450 being available at the time I got my 2400s. I got my cases before Hardigg was bought by Pelican. Do you know if the 2450 is a newer model?

I also have the TT removable bracket kit installed which allows me to remove the cases. I love the option to easily remove the cases.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #683  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
vandgo61's Avatar
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: near utica, ny
Posts: 53
Default

I did want the TT quick releases also but came down with a case of "tight-wad-itis" and decided the quick release racks were enough. I've got a little frankenstein going on with this bike - i first bought the chin fairing and v46 with the intent of it just being a small displacement sport tourer, then watched You Tube videos of guys doing adventure riding and though that would be even funner!! The pelicans were bought with the idea that WHEN (not if) I dumped, the pelicans would take the abuse and be cheaper to replace. (I paid about $100 and $112 for the 2400 and 2450 in august of 2011). Shortly after that I apparently was cured of my disease and bought a tank pad from England for about 24 British pounds - essentially a $38 sticker!!! (My wife will never let me live that one down). I really am enjoying this motorcycle though. Did you get the quick release racks as well as the TT brackets?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 white 650 (4).jpg (100.4 KB, 96 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #684  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mandurah western Australia
Posts: 103
Default



My new luggage.
First time out with it all a few Sunday's ago....on leaving my drive I put a nice crease in the wing of my wife's car....she wasn't happy!!!

But I'm happy to report the side box held up well with no damage
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #685  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Satch's Avatar
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wasatch Mountains, UT
Posts: 1,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandgo61 View Post
I did want the TT quick releases also but came down with a case of "tight-wad-itis" and decided the quick release racks were enough. I've got a little frankenstein going on with this bike - i first bought the chin fairing and v46 with the intent of it just being a small displacement sport tourer, then watched You Tube videos of guys doing adventure riding and though that would be even funner!! The pelicans were bought with the idea that WHEN (not if) I dumped, the pelicans would take the abuse and be cheaper to replace. (I paid about $100 and $112 for the 2400 and 2450 in august of 2011). Shortly after that I apparently was cured of my disease and bought a tank pad from England for about 24 British pounds - essentially a $38 sticker!!! (My wife will never let me live that one down). I really am enjoying this motorcycle though. Did you get the quick release racks as well as the TT brackets?


I dumped my Wee a few years ago when I rode through a deep puddle in the middle of a muddy road. I hit a large submerged rock which washed out my front wheel and instantly put me down on the left side. The Pelican case held up just fine and helped save my bike from damage. I don't think a Givi would have fared as well and I'm sure an aluminum case would have sustained a permanent dent.

Yes, I have the SW-Motech quick release rack as well as the TT removable brackets. It's great to be able to remove the cases from the rack when traveling and also nice to be able to remove the racks from the bike when not needed. For the way I ride, it's the most useful combination.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #686  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
vandgo61's Avatar
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: near utica, ny
Posts: 53
Default

Yes, I have the SW-Motech quick release rack as well as the TT removable brackets. It's great to be able to remove the cases from the rack when traveling and also nice to be able to remove the racks from the bike when not needed. For the way I ride, it's the most useful combination.[/quote]

Makes sense, and in hindsight I should have gone that route as well. However, it is fun to walk into a hotel lobby with my bags and get funny stares from people wondering what the metal appendages attached to my bags are! A good converation starter! These are great motorbikes. Happy riding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg summer 2012 207.jpg (97.2 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by vandgo61; 11-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #687  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 747
Default

I like the nice, clean look of Vandgo61's black Pelicans on the white Wee. Very nice.

Comments / questions -

1. What's the logic behind having a larger (deeper) case on the left (compared to the right) ? Is the rack not symmetric w/ respect to the bike center line due to the exhaust pipe ?

2. It seems that top-loader Pelicans would be better (would not "dump" everything out if opened while on the bike). Am I missing something ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #688  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Satch's Avatar
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wasatch Mountains, UT
Posts: 1,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesRWee View Post
I like the nice, clean look of Vandgo61's black Pelicans on the white Wee. Very nice.

Comments / questions -

1. What's the logic behind having a larger (deeper) case on the left (compared to the right) ? Is the rack not symmetric w/ respect to the bike center line due to the exhaust pipe ?

2. It seems that top-loader Pelicans would be better (would not "dump" everything out if opened while on the bike). Am I missing something ?
1. Correct

2. It's a matter of personal preference whether to go with side or top loading cases. There are pros/cons to both. I prefer side loading cases. When going on a trip, I pack my side case with items that I don't need to access during a ride. I also have bag liners for the side cases that I use to pack and organize everything. Nothing falls out when opened. I use my top case, tank bag, tank panniers, or jacket pockets for items that I may need to access during the ride. On a day ride, I still take my side cases and will put my jacket/pants in the side cases when stopping for lunch. It's easier to stuff bulky items like jacket/pants into the large opening of a side case.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #689  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 AM
vandgo61's Avatar
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: near utica, ny
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesRWee View Post
I like the nice, clean look of Vandgo61's black Pelicans on the white Wee. Very nice.

Comments / questions -

2. It seems that top-loader Pelicans would be better (would not "dump" everything out if opened while on the bike). Am I missing something ?
I way like the side-opening type bags for my packing style. I do use liners and did buy lid stays (not cheap - nearly $40 the for two bags). Although cases can never be too big, I feared the givi e36/e45 combinaion (that I also like), would not provide enough foot room for passengers. My daughter prefers to use the pelican handles over the bikes grab bars for a handhold. And these things are bone dry. As far as looks? well . . . in the eye of the beholder and all other cliche's certainly apply with the strom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1821.jpg (86.4 KB, 162 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #690  
Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 747
Default

Thanks much for the replies / answers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
luggage , photos

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2