So I decided I wanted some side cases for my Vee, but being the cheap bastard I am, the ever popular practice of converting ammo cans to panniers looked like the way to go. I headed to the local surplus store, and picked out a couple nice 1500 round 7.62 minigun cans. These cans do not have hinges; instead, they have latches at each end so that the lids can be removed. I decided I wanted them to be hinged, and after some thought, I came to the conclusion that if I left the section of the can-side of the latch in place that acts as a locator for the lid, it would work well for attaching the hinges. So, I set forth to grinding out spot welds, and cut the can-side of the latch so that the lid locator would remain.
I also removed the lid-side handles as I didn’t see the need for them. Rather than just cut off the rods, I chose to completely cut off the rolled edge of the lid to reduce weight some.
I removed the diagonal pieces because I wanted a more smooth look, and because I didn’t feel they were particularly needed for their new application. Removing them gave me room on the bike side of the can to add my own reinforcements, which will also serve as attachment points to the racks I’m building.
The can-side reinforcements, and the bike-side racks, are being fabbed out of 3/16”X1”.
Next came hinges. I had wanted to use “piano” hinges to span the entire length of the end of the can, but the only piano hinges I could find were very small and light duty. Bigger hinges that would run the full length of the end of the can were much too big and much more heavy than needed, so I decided to use two medium sized hinges.
I found some locking hasps at Menard’s that looked like they’d work nicely. They will however require a ¼” spacer between the lock mechanism and the can side due to the hasp hanging over the edge of the lid, and the lid itself sticks out a little. After some thought, this will work out as an advantage, because the spacer will be made over sized, maybe 3”X3”, to act as a reinforcement for the lock mechanism and to spread out the load of the hasp some.
When I get some time to snap some pics of what I have done thus far on the racks I’ll post them.